SME 3009 Protractor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Archaeologist, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've had this arm hooked up for a few months on my Td-124 with a DL-103 cart and i'm beginning to think that part of the reason it isn't tracking that well is that it isn't set up well.

I had a local shop dial it in but just eyeballing the VTA it looks off and when i first went in tho pick it up the anti-skate wasn't even set up.

Soooo i'm assembling the tools i need to dial it in myself. I have ordered a set of german micro screwdrivers and the ortofon stylus weight gauge so far. I'm trying to figure out now what the best protractor would be. Will the Dr Feickert one work with this arm? I'm fine paying for it once rather than paying people to do a subpar job for the foreseeable future.

The arm is an SME 3009 II Split Weight (early with fixed back weight)

2. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

i would print one using the program that is available on the internet and try to do it that way first

3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

There is an interesting protractor on EBsy. I may buy it ,
    If interested i will provide more details .

4. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Could well be that the setup is lousy-I won't dispute that.

But that arm appears to have low to very low effective mass (anywhere from 12 to 6.5) and is probably not a great match with the 103. No?

That may well be more of a problem for you than setup. If you're going to the trouble of setting it up properly I'd also consider adding 6-10 grams at the headshell and then dealing with trying to balance that out. Another cartridge, or arm, may be in order.

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

At 8.4g, the cartridge should work well with the low mass 3009 tonearm. I think it’s a decent match, but I wouldn’t use a heavier cartridge.

You can do a better job yourself - a perfect job, actually. If you have a dead LP, a short, accurate, metal ruler with millimeter graduations, a digital styulus scale and a Feikert protractor, you can set up your TD 124 perfectly.

The Feikert protractor will work with the arm - it will work with any straight or S-shaped tonearm. I recommend using the Baerwald points to set overhang and so on for your particular arm and cartridge combination.

Mount the cartridge, do a quick balance, then set the tracking weight. Adjust antiskate so that the arm lowers straight down without pulling toward the spindle or away from it, but no more than that. Don’t overcompensate. Put a dead LP on the turntable, raise the arm lift, then move the headshell over the middle track of the dead LP. Lower the arm. Adjust the arm height so that the arm is parallel to the LP surface. Use the short, metal, millimeter rule to make sure the height of the arm tube is the same over the middle of the first track as it is just behind the headshell. Then use the Feikert protractor to set overhang and alignment. Check the tracking force again and adjust if necessary. when tightening headshell screws, make them only finger tight - just snug, and nothing more than that. If you overtighten one screw, you’ll mess up the azimuth of the cartridge/stylus assembly. Cartridge mounting screws do not have to be torqued down at all.

A good digital tracking force scale should come with a little 5 gram weight to help zero/tare it out. Always zero the scale before using it to check tracking force. Use fresh batteries.

Store the Feikert procator carefully, loosen the horzontal arm screw when storing. Tighten the pivot point screw though, to prevent losing the short shaft. Don’t let anything lean on or fall on any part of the Feikert (or any other protractor either). Store the short metal rule by laying it flat on the Feikert base plate. That way, the rule will never get bent or kinked.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2018
  6. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Have you ever used a 103 or 103R? I have, in various iterations, for about 7 years.

If it's an arm with an effective mass of about 12 grams, it's a poor match. If it's the 9.5 gram or 6.5 gram version it's moving from poor to really bad to atrocious.

Has nothing to do with the weight of the cartridge.

IanL likes this.
  7. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Nice alignment gauge very accurate easy to use and has settings for 3 methods Baerwalt etc
    No on EBay is
    Good luck

8. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agitater - thanks for the detailed instructions I feel confident in picking up the feickert - I’ve set up Regas before by this arm was intimidating because it is more complicated.

Just a note this is the early 3009 II - 12.5 grams and I am using an Ortofon lh 9000 which weighs 16 grams. Maybe not ideal for a 103 but it seemed like it ought to be passable?

9. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

I think the Dynavector DL-103 will turn out to be a better match for the arm than the old Ortofon LH 9000. I’d bet that you’re shortly going to have an even better-sounding turntable. Mind you, I’ve yet to find any popular tonearm made between 1972 and the present on which the DL-103 sounded anything other than good. The cartridge has been a real home run for Ortofon.

10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Haven’t used a DL-103 in years. The OP’s reports that his tonearm EM is 12.5g. He’s got the cart and the arm. He should try it.

11. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Yes, this should work. I'd expect the SME headshell to weigh about 7-8 grams so you probably picked up close to 10 grams with the Ortofon.

I have not used the 103R with that arm and am not sure if it has knife edge bearings-I think it might. If it does, I recall reading somewhere many years ago that the 3 & 3R might not get along well with that type of tonearm bearing so that may or may not be an issue for you.

Contrary to popular belief on conicals I did find the 103R to be critical of VTA/SRA when I used it and definitely sensitive to VTF. I found the sweetspot with the stock cantilever and stylus to be right around 2.6 grams. Lighter than that and the cartridge lost the very solid presentation it is noted for and heavier than that I found it to get a little murky/muddy sounding.

Good luck.

Agitater:

Just a heads up. The 103 is a cartridge and a Denon, not a Dynavector or Ortofon, and the Ortofon LH 9000 is a headshell and not a cartridge.

12. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Sorry - and apologies to the OP. I’ve got Dynavector carts on the brain lately. Have to read more carefully and think for a second before I post again. I actually still own that head shell and an LH 8000 (gorgeous wood) as well. Going to use the 8000 shortly to mount a Clearaudio Maestro 2. Still haven’t owned a Denon 103 for quite a few years, though it worked well on a damped 3009 series III mounted on a massive Sony PS2251 direct drive TT. Now I’m trying to figure out what Ortofon cart I was thinking of when I posted. :sigh:

13. IanL

IanL Senior Member

The Feickert protractor is excellent and even for the price, it is a good investment. When I used it to align my Dynavector 20x2L, I was able to absolutely nail the alignment/overhang like never before and it was perfect. However, the DL-103 is a boxy design and the stylus does not extend far out below it, making it very difficult to see well and get perfect setup. I recommend finding a good and effective source of light and of magnification to help overcome this obstacle. I haven't totally solved this issue to my satisfaction yet. I have it as good as I can determine with the tools I have though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.