Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I don’t know Adam Driver from Steve Hoffman himself. I have nothing against him. He could be a nice guy. He could be the considered the greatest thespian on Planet Earth.

However, as an actor portraying the primary antagonist in this Star Wars Trilogy, he is laughable. And comparing his performance to Heath Ledger’s Joker is down right insulting.

2. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' review: Rey and the Resistance prove irresistible / Michael Phillips (Chicago Tribune)

Michael Phillips and the other critic I linked earlier (Mick LaSalle / San Francisco Chronicle) are repeatedly the most reliable guys working in print still – IMO.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Oh, you're one of those who rank Ledger's Joker. I see. I'll move on to another thread, then. :)

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Have you actually seen the film yet? I don't think it's fair to criticize the actor or the film unless you've actually seen it.

I thought he was fine in the last Star Wars movie, and I had no problem with the character or his performance.

supermd, Matt Starr, fishcane and 3 others like this.
  5. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Do you intend the thread-crap the entire discussion?

6. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Sorry, Vidiot, you're just making too much sense right now...

fishcane likes this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Yeah, I'm taking my stepson to see it on Saturday- no spoilers, please and thank you!:righton:

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Have I mentioned that Darth Vader is Luke's father?

[​IMG]

Stratoblaster, Pete Puma and daca like this.
  9. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I may have heard that once or twice over the years:laugh::laugh::laugh:

CrazyCatz likes this.
  10. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

You know, this is the first time I'm walking into a Star Wars movie completely blind and not knowing what will happen.

Two thirds of the original trilogy came out before I was old enough to care and the first SW movie I have memories of is Jedi, so by the time I got into Star Wars in the late 80's , I already knew how it all ended.

The Prequels everyone going in knew what it was all going towards so no real surprises. The Force Awakens was pretty much just a refresher course and Rogue One was just the opening crawl of 1977 brought to life.

For Last Jedi? I honestly don't know anything. That is exciting for me.

11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

He was good in that Jim Jarmusch film "Paterson"

Ghostworld and Wild Frank like this.
  12. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

No, I have not seen the film yet. Kathleen Kennedy must have sent my Premier Screening invite to the wrong address. I'm joking of course, please do not take offense. You are are of the people I do respect.

However, I thought his performance was "meh" at very best in TFA. And the screenwriters did him no favors with his dialogue and scenes.

I'll see TLJ Friday and opine at that time.

That's not true. That's impossible.

enro99 likes this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Trying desperately to stay away from reviews as we're going tomorrow (Thursday) night. My son says we have to leave right after school at 3:00 and get in line ASAP for the first showing at 7:00.

14. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I've just seen it at a midnight screening and it's very, very good. All the performances are great the film was sufficiently dark and sufficiently light hearted with plenty of great comedy moments. It doesn't worry about trying to set up the next film, I think it could easily stand on its own but it still ends in a way that you think, "Can't wait to see what happens next".

Jrr, BeatleJWOL and Stratoblaster like this.
  15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I won't be seeing this for awhile, so I wanted to start this, since people are already starting to come back from theaters with observations and I wanted to keep the other thread clean of spoilers.

Thanks

16. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

That's very good to hear. If you don't mind me quizzing you, I have a few things I'm curious about.

I understand that the film, thematically, is different from THE FORCE AWAKENS (which I adored), but does it allow for Abrams to complete the trilogy (with IX) in a way that (hopefully) will be fulfilling? Basically, are there threads that still need to be tied up to conclude the saga?

Oh... and one other question: do we get a satisfactory answer as to why Rey is so good with the force?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Guys, I just started a thread where spoilers can be discussed. Please feel free to go over there.
    I won't be seeing this for awhile. Thanks!

18. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think it does allow for Abrams to complete the trilogy but not in a "we obviously can't touch on this, this and this because we need something for episode 9" kind of way. I think the content of the next film is hinted at but it's still a bit of a "I wonder where J.J. will go with this" kind of thing.
    I suppose it's satisfactory, unless I missed something but I think they did it in a way that has still left J.J. something to work with if he so chooses. You'll have to watch the film and make up your own mind I guess on that one.

David Campbell and Jason Manley like this.
  19. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

So glad we're going to a theater with assigned (reclining, no less) seating this go-'round. Standing out in the cold for four hours for Force Awakens was no fun last time.

Pawnmower likes this.
  20. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Seriously. I don't miss those days. Gotta love the reserved/reclining seats at the movie theaters now!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

The Imperial March all performed by guitars:

Epic!!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Smokin Chains, Vidiot and bferr1 like this.
  22. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

And, just for good measure, here is the Main Theme done by the same guy from a couple of years ago:

bferr1 likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

94% on Rotten Tomatoes - avg. rating 8.2/10, 179 out of 190 critic reviews are positive.

The Force Awakens was 93% - avg. rating also 8.2/10, 350 out of 378 critic reviews were positive. Fans rating 89%.

Stratoblaster likes this.
  24. Rhett

Rhett Forum Resident

It's def a nice way to see movies these days!

25. FACE OF BOE

FACE OF BOE Forum Resident

Yoda appears and Snoke is killed by Kylo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.