Just Listened To My LPs For The First Time Here Are My Thoughts & Questions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Get another cartridge and don't mess with it next time. Styli are very delicate and they're not something you can bend and straighten with your fingers to any degree of accuracy. On some of the very low-end AT carts (92, 95E models), the quality control is poor and some examples have cantilevers that will lean after some playback. If your anti-skate settings are off that can exacerbate it also. AT carts, IMHO, don't start getting better until you hit the $100 mark or higher. If you want something that is inexpensive and robust, look to something like a Shure DJ cart (e.g. M44G or SC35C). You still don't want to play around with the cantilevers on those, but they are definitely more forgiving in general for someone that's just starting out with vinyl.

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

That despends on what you think you are comparing. I have compared many lps to various cd counterparts, and can confidently say the lp usually sounds better. What have I actually compared? And does it matter what I have actually compared if I have found the most pleasant listening experience for myself? Isn’t that what this hobby is all about?

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Headphone listening is more challenging. But if it’s say a new mofi 45rpm and you’re working with a properly set up higher end table, it’s quiet enough for headphones.

I will concede the point the vinyl is prone to noise. Keeping everything perfect all time time isn’t realistic.

timind likes this.
  4. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

You can hear all kinds of scary stuff with headphones... That's why I don't deal with them. Speakers in a room (preferably driven by a 900w bass head) is how music is suppose to be played and that's my final offer.

timind, PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

Nope. It's supposed to be a freakin' science project.

toddrhodes, timind, patrickd and 3 others like this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

+1. There is no situation where you’re ever going to fix a cantilever by bending it. This is strictly a do not touch policy

7. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I only stated a logical conclusion to the other guy's statement. It doesn't imply that I agree with him.

curbach likes this.
  8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Headphones are A bit like looking at a painting through a microscope.

Higlander likes this.
  9. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Kevin, I read page one of this thread but not 2 & 3 so forgive me if this has been touched on. Your speakers ELAC B6 right?) are VERY nice bookshelf speakers, their low end limit (per Elac) is shown as 44hz. There's no specification regarding +- db but usually those numbers, without +- DBs shown, is a -6 DB number. Assuming a typical rolloff in bass, you're probably getting "usable" bass down to around 55hz. The lack of bass that you want could be directly attributable to your speakers just not being able to reproduce good bass (not knocking the speakers in any way shape or form). BTW, that V-15type III was damn near state of the art in the 70s and is still held in very high regard (I own 3 and think they hold their own against "better" new cartridges I own). All just my $.02, buyer beware, YMMV, ibid, et al, in vino veritas, etc....

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    SirMarc and AcidPunk15 like this.
  10. It's impossible for any vinyl LP to play CD quiet. Not only does the friction of the stylus running through the groove create noise, but there are other noises present in the grooves other than the music, like the rumble from the lathe that cut the masters.
    I have more than a few vinyl records which have no or very few ticks and pops, but that is a very rare occurrence today. Ticks and pops are from the molding process. My best records were pressed by RTI.

timind, Fishoutofwater and AcidPunk15 like this.
  11. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

When I listen to vinyl with my Headphones, I hear all types of odd sounds, that are not heard at normal levels on speakers.
    Odd swishing sounds as the vinyl spins and stuff like that, not just surface noise or mild rumble.

So listening to vinyl is a totally different experience. I think one hears the sound of the playback of the vinyl as part of the experience.

timind, PhilBiker and AcidPunk15 like this.
  12. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thx

patient_ot likes this.
  13. Higlander

The issue I see, even if it was exact same mastering, there is a good chance the LP playback chain (cart/preamp/table noise) is altering the sound a decent bit, let alone the vinyl process itself.
    Even entry level CD playback usually has nearly ruler flat response.

Just a few dbs change here or there in a cart, could spell the difference as worse or better.

timind likes this.
  14. AcidPunk15

have you used this stylus before: VN35E Type Stylus for Shure V15 Type 3 Cartridge | Turntable Needles

15. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

No thanks. Even 45 years ago, I was thinking, "There has to be a better way. This is basically a 19th century technology; time for the next level."

timind and AcidPunk15 like this.
  16. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

The V-15 is a very nice cart even by today's standards. With a decent stylus, it will destroy the 92e. Definitely grab it and replace the stylus and report back later.

timind, PhilBiker, patient_ot and 2 others like this.
  17. DLD

DLD Senior Member

18. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

It seems like there's some misunderstanding on what mastering is. Could you explain it to us and why it is impossible for vinyl and CD share the same master? I may be wrong since I'm no engineer or producer and only did one record as a musician, but I thought that mastering is the process of producing the final source from which the lacquer will be cut and CD will be made. Assuming that this final source is a digital file, you can cut a lacquer from it and make a CD from the same file. Then they use the same master. But if otherwise mastering is the process of cutting the lacquer and creating the "master" from which records will be pressed then it makes sense, we can't have the same mastering for CDs and records. Am I missing anything?

19. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

There are records I have that sound better (imo) than the cd. Simple as that. Handling records, adjusting turntables, etc. is a hassle, but for the records that beat the cd, I keep my turntable
    and record collection. Most of the records I have were recorded in analog and intended (mastered) to be played from a record. You will not always get this from a cd these days, even if it is
    an old recording because it is "digitally remastered". Glad I have kept my records. Anybody can play a cd...

20. Higlander

Perhaps. But I thought it was common practice to make a few small changes to the music put down on vinyl?
    You know the Sum all bass to Mono, Roll off bass below a certain frequency, alter the levels of the last track or two near the label, and alter the level of the highs near the label to avoid overloading where the records rotational velocity is worst etc.

I realize not all "audiophile labels" do all this stuff, but the run of the mill 95% of normal "records"

21. Higlander

To me it somehow adds to the experience, but being big into CD and digital files also, I can completely see your view and agree.
    Enjoyable and fun are not always the most accurate way to listen.

Got an old 8 track player at goodwill with about 2 dozen tapes, hooked it up, it sounded a bit iffy, but ended up listening for hours!
    So there is something to be said for less than perfection or accurate at times..!

PhilBiker and timind like this.
  22. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Unless you’re going to get a turntable with a low mass tonearm, I’d probably sell the V15 and save the money you’d spend on the new stylus. Then you’re probably up well over $200.

23. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Mastering is everything from the mastering engineer holding the tape that the mixer is finished with to the initial pressing stampers. In the case of vinyl, as you have surmised, "the process of cutting the lacquer and creating the "master" from which records will be pressed" is a key part of the mastering process. You are correct that is the difference.

For CDs, SACD, DVD-A, Blu-Ray, and digital files the mastering process pretty much ends with the bits and track information that can be used to reproduce the exact same disc many times over. In the case of digital, the stampers will be exactly the same as the digital file; in the case of vinyl, the lathe cutting process is key.

punkmusick and Higlander like this.
  24. AcidPunk15

I have a Sony LX-350H how do I check if it has a low tonearm mass: The manual?

25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

In my experience, summing bass to mono was never a common practice.

PhilBiker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.