Tekton Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jkull, Dec 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkull

jkull destroyer of cookie cutters Thread Starter

Ive never payed much attention to mention of tekton.. I read a quick review last night praising their double impact speaker at 3k a pair new, stating that they actually out perform the reviewers personal 24k pair of towers.

Made my way into their website and have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the range of speakers, which are of great efficiency.. All being ~94-100db. For guys running lower wattage amps, looking for efficiency in a nice clean encasement, for excellent prices, these have it all, and will customize finishes etc. I am very very happy with my cornwalls, but if I were to venture to try other speakers, these would surely be included in the line up . I think they look sharp, are priced very well.

Curious as to who on here owns tektons? Which ones? What's the consensus.

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

I've heard the original Lores and enjoyed them but they couldn't keep up with a pair of Cornwalls and their efficiency numbers are pretty overstated. There used to be a few threads on them over on the DIY boards that are worth checking out if you're interested in them, complete with pictures.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Thouston

Thouston Forum Resident

Tekton's efficiency numbers are overstated by 6 db.

asilker likes this.
  4. jkull

Im really not. Just got wanted to hear some feedback regarding them, was curious... thank you

5. jkull

Well that's :thumbsdow

6. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

Regardless of the numbers I am very pleased with Tekton Pendragons paired with a Rogue Sphinx. They remain full at fairly low volume.

Manimal, SandAndGlass, Dave and 3 others like this.
  7. jkull

:thumbsup: The pendragon towers?

8. Tim Irvine

Yes. They are pretty big, but sonically they are worth it to me.

SandAndGlass and T'mershi Duween like this.
  9. jkull

Nice.

10. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have had Tekton Enzo XLs for a couple of years. I love them. Easy on the ears.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Why should owner opinions matter when Tekton made every other speaker design "obsolete?"

12. timind

timind phorum rezident

I bought a pair of the M-Lores, couldn't resist the bright read paint job, not to mention all the hype. Just couldn't get them to give me any image depth. And the finish was sub-par IMO. Sold them after a month or so. Luckily I bought them used.

The guy I sold them to also sold them in a couple months.

Fruff76 and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've been a very happy Cornwall owner for a long time and Zu Audio speakers are what I've been itching to hear.

Ken Clark and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Plenty of happy Double Impact owners. I can't help but notice the buzz about this company. Prices are low, in my book. There is a bit of hype, sure - but enough respected reviewers are praising them.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  15. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

I try not to gush about Tekton (Pendragons in my case) too much because I don’t wanna sound biased... but the fact is, they are the best bang-for-buck speaker out there. Period.

There is nothing under 20k that will beat them for all-around awesomeness. My budget was actually set at the maximum 20k. I auditioned a lot great speakers. None did everything right like the Pendragon. I was very skeptical when I pulled the trigger, but they delivered way more than I expected.

And I had high expectations to begin with.

They are some of the best sounding speakers in the world.

If you own them, you already know that. :)

Mojo Warrior and Tim Irvine like this.
  16. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

I am running the Electron model, sold as a compact version of the Double Impact, and am pleased. They are really detailed and dynamic and i am getting a really nice image from them too. As for discussions of sensitivity, i believe the numbers must be close. Doesnt take much to power these. My amp is 60 watts, and its way more power than would be needed. Listened to the double impacts at Capital AudioFest this year and they were being powered by a 10 watt Linear Tube Audio amp. Sounded great.

17. Mojo Warrior

Mojo Warrior Forum Resident

I have owned the Pendragons for the past four years. Highly recommended.

Fruff76 and T'mershi Duween like this.
  18. Helom

Helom Forum member

I like to give Tekton a hard time about its patent claims, but I must admit I'm intrigued by some of their models, mostly the Impact Monitors.

I've considered trying these and the new Elac Adante standmounts, as both would mate well with my sound anchor stands.

The Tektons appear to have an advantage in terms of efficiency, but the Elacs are far more attractive.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

The hyperbole on their web site is just plain silly, but the quality of their Double Impacts is off the charts, and absurd for the price.

I have had the Double Impacts for just 5 weeks now but am convinced that my "main system" speaker search (ongoing for 10 years) is over. What do I love about them? I love the texture, midrange and dynamics mostly. The bass is the best I have ever heard and they play very loud with my 90 wpc Rogue Cronus Magnum tube integerated turned to 12:00. They are seamless and disappear, with a large and enveloping soundstage. I can hear more detail than I've ever heard before but damn is it smooth, organic and natural.

I have tried a few other amps with these speakers and differences between them, and sources, is noticeable. IMHO these are great speakers to have as you can adjust the tonal characteristics/preferences to your heart's desire as these will let everything come through effortlessly and as it is. These speakers don't lie.

For the sake of comparison, my other favorites have been Magnepan 1.6s, Klipch Forte's with Bob Crites upgraded crossovers and tweeters, Revel Concerta F12s, Triangle Celius 202s and Zu Omens. I really loved my time with all of these speakers but I do prefer the Tektons by a fair margin (in a way they combine the best of the Maggies with the best of the Forte's but with much better bass than the Fortes).

Just writing about them stirs the need to go fire up the system to bask in their glory once again. :righton:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  20. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I was looking at the Lores a while back. Saw the good reviews. I tried contacting Teton but they were not returning my messages for days at a time. It felt like they did not really need my business, and I was getting the brush off. I was also looking at Klipsch and Zu. I wound up going with the Zu Omens.

timind likes this.
  21. Metralla

I reckon they have plenty of business.

T'mershi Duween likes this.
  22. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

They are a small outfit. When I was about to order mine a couple of years back, there were all kinds of scary stories about wait times etc. So I called in the order with some trepidation. I wanted a cap upgrade. It was Tuesday afternoon. The phone was picked up by Eric Alexander - the owner. He said I will have my speakers on Friday. The speakers were delivered Friday. I then e-mailed him a question about placement. He again answered immediately, at 8 o'clock at night. Nothing but great experience.

Kristofa and T'mershi Duween like this.
  23. Metralla

Yes, despite the hype the principal Alexander seems to be on top of things and approachable.

24. Tim Irvine

There is so much hype around so many radically different speakers that I think the more owner assessments there are, the better. I especially like it when an owner has a firsthand comparison and can articulate the differences. I am not particularly eloquent in describing differences but compared with Maggies, Tritons, and Revel 206 I thought the Pens had better imaging, more “slam” factor, and a less fatiguing sound but still a tremendous amount of detail. It was closer with the Revel 208s, but I still gave the Pens the edge. I preferred them to the classic Klipsch Heresys and Cornwalls. More clarity but not as fatiguing. It has been so long since I listened to super high end stuff that I couldn’t make a conjecture as to how they would compare, but I do know they do it all for me. Plus my system may not be good enough to bring out the subtleties a higher end table and LOMC might with a very nice amp and pre. But they sound great to me and I have not heard anything that makes me want to change (except maybe my cart).

25. Tim Irvine

Based on the way his line has evolved I am not sure I would try his monitors. He goes for big towers and seems to be really good at it. Monitors are a whole other thing. If you try them I am sure you will do a solid critique.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.