This Is What 18 Years Of Record Cleaning Does To A VPI Motor

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dubmart, Dec 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

This happened to me about a year ago or so. I removed the bottom part and took the old vac unit out. As shown I placed the unit up between two old speakers, purchased some hosing to connect to the outlet (underneath) that then goes to a used fluid holding plastic jug with holes drilled in the lid to accept two tubing bushings that connect to the tubes. You can see the cannister vacuum that does the work -- quite a bit more powerful than the stock vacuum. When the jug is getting full of used fluid, it's easy to remove the bushings and empty it.

This picture was taken almost a year ago now. Since then I have re-positioned everything so the vacuum is hidden behind in a closet, and the unit is moved close to the couch shown (which is also in a new position) so that I can sit and operate the vacuum (and my whole cleaning process actually) in comfort without straining my back.

[​IMG]

eddiel and lemonjello like this.
  2. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Actually I merely screw off the jug lid then empty it. ^^

3. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Happy VPI HW-17 owner here since years, and sincerely I don't remember how many. Best investment ever in hifi I ever did, a real workhorse and a terrific effective one.

Satrus likes this.
  4. recordgalore75

recordgalore75 New Member

OK
    i will be waiting for your pics prior to doing anything
    Thanks a lot

5. lemonjello

lemonjello Forum Resident

Here's a question for ya all. Does the 16.5 and 17 have the same vacuum motor? Mine just ate it and I need to find a new one.

Peace,
    Jake

6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Don't know, you can contact VPI. This may also be informative: Vacuum motor specifs for vpi rcm hw 17f - Vinyl Engine

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member Thread Starter

From memory they may, but VPI are very easy to deal with, I'm not sure if Matt is still on the forum, but he's very helpful, or just open your 16.5 up and have a look, they are pretty straightforward and the 16.5 is even simpler than the 17, hopefully your motor will be labelled with what it is.

McLover likes this.
  8. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

My motor looked like that as well after 24 years 16.5 upgraded to MW-1 and sold the 16.5 for half of what I paid for it, box still looked new.
    Too many internal leaks and my 16.5 didn't have a reservoir collection bin. Very happy with the MW-1 Cyclone...now that its winter again time to clean some records! I am only about 2,000 behind. :rolleyes:

sean

9. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member Thread Starter

I really like the MW 1 although my friend with the shop went back to using the 17 because the MW1 shuts down when it gets hot, not a problem for domestic users, he won't let me borrow his MW1 though.:(

10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I sure like the Bi-directional and the suction is more powerful> I only do a few records at a time 4 step process, it does get warm a bit dries the records a little better when its warm. ;)

sean

11. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

VPI should offer a fan cooled upgrade option.
    I wonder why these newer models overheat?
    I had a 16 converted to a 16.5- positively ancient- never shut down- used to use Walker 4 step cleaning process, so lot's of vacuuming per record.
    I suppose you could DIY fan cool it but that would no doubt violate warranty if applicable.

12. McLover

McLover Senior Member

They will be and much more. The Loricraft cleaners were meant for heavy duty, commercial type, heavy use. That VPI in the picture sure survived a lot of use for sure.

13. lemonjello

So it looks like the 16.5 and 17 use a different motor. Busted mine open and it's an AMETEK 116325. Got mine from Allied Electronics for about $50.

https://www.alliedelec.com/ametek-lamb-116325-00/70252269/

The link further up this thread stocked it also, but the shipping was $31. Allied was as low as $16, plus i was able to get some other parts i needed and the total bill ended up the same.

Now I need to source a new seal to mount it. Any clues on that? Might have one at a nearby old school hardware store that still stocks all that stuff.

Peace,
    Jake

14. lemonjello

I never had a problem with mine over heating even after i added some extra insulation for sound dampening (I don't particularly recommend doing this). What i noticed heats up more is the platter motor. Currently on my model i have to replace the motor and bottom plate on my 16.5, and I'm working on a way to surround the platter motor with some type of PVC drain tube that surrounds the platter motor and route out the bottom base plate so the motor is exposed to the open air, while the rest of the box remains enclosed.

I think the issue you're having with the unit shutting down could be a differently rated thermo-fuse in the unit, or one that's drifted out of spec. Haven't poked around to find where it's located, but if I can get a rating or part number off of mine, I'll let you know.

Peace,
    Jake

15. lemonjello

I've found the biggest downside of the 16.5 VPI RCM is very tiny internal leaks where the drain hose is attached and possibly the motor to drain tank seal. The leaks are so tiny and slow that they shouldn’t cause a problem except that the base plate is made of untreated MDF. So the tiny drips get into the base plate and rot it over time. A simple lacquer of the base plate would fix this problem. Even putting a metal plate under the drain basin would help because the few drips would hit the plate and evaporate instead of getting absorbed by the machine.

Peace,
    Jake

16. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

You mean 1.8 years.:p Surely you missed a decimal point. Yesterday build quality vs today?

17. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Jake - i never had a problem with over heating, I had a very old unit, started as a 16 and upgraded to 16.5 in the early '80s. Figure the thing had been running since it was introduced in 1981, with some periods of non-use. I was still using it as late as last year and it worked fine. I finally gave it away to a friend when I moved.

lemonjello likes this.
  18. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

Love my 16.5 and it's only in vicinity of 5 years old. However a few days ago the godforsaken right side toggle switch which runs the vacuum broke - got stuck. Tried to take off plate and jiggle with it - no cigar - won't move & won't work. Contacted VPI - closed through 1/2/17. Bummed that something like this has for now disabled a $500+ machine. Hope also that somebody near Cincinnati can work on this as I am not very handy.

19. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Make sure it gets a good funeral.

20. lemonjello

Sorry i must of misread late at night. But you, my sir, are a great friend to give yours away!

Cheers,
    Jake

21. lemonjello

You can replace that switch yourself. Take the bottom off and take the switch out and down to the hardware store. It's a basic SPST switch rated at least 125volts AC.

Matt I and dbsea like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.