"Weird Al" Yankovic Complete Works box set*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brownd, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

When you think about it, how cool would a Weird Al tribute album be?
    Devo with Dare to Be Stupid?
    James Taylor doing Good Old Days?
    White Stripes covering CNR?
    They Might be Giants covering Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota (or any one they wanted to, really)?
    CSN doing Mission Statement?
    Bob Dylan covering Bob?
    I'd love to see it. There's enough artists out there with a sense of humor to do it.

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That would be interesting, for sure. I always thought a box set with all of Weird Al's parodies and the original songs the parodies came from would be cool, but a licensing nightmare.

John Bliss likes this.
  3. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

TMBG would do “Everything You Know Is Wrong”

4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sheer genius! I do know that some folks have done the Weird Al lyrics in concert, like Don McLean doing The Saga Begins. It might be hard to get Madonna to cover Like A Surgeon - she's never been known for her sense of humor.

John Bliss likes this.
  5. The Hud

Madonna is the one who suggested Like A Surgeon. The only request he has ever taken. Plus, she is in the video!

ajsmith likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm pretty sure that was a Madonna inpersonator.

7. The Hud

My mistake.

8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

The first part of what you said is true, though - she did come up with the title and suggested it to Al through his manager.

9. The Hud

I remember that from the "Behind the Music".

10. John Bliss

Well looks like pledge got some more in, but states PREORDER. I thought it was already released!? Pledge has no way to contact them that I can see. Anyone from Pledge music here, or can possibly explain what the heck they mean by that? If someone like myself orders one, will there be a long wait? I'm confused.

11. The Hud

I guess it is possible that they haven't made all of the sets and you would have to wait for that. Weird!?!

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

I think Pledge just calls all their campaigns "Preorder" and just never gets around to changing it once the product is released. I'm fairly sure they have them in stock.

John Bliss likes this.
  13. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

If you work your way along the ordering process, it eventually states all orders to be fulfilled by Jan 18.

John Bliss likes this.
  14. John Bliss

Thank you. I just got that confirmed,
    and much more from them via email. Everything seems on the up and up. Put me at ease.

15. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Of all people, Weird Al seems to be the artist who is most on top of his unreleased catalog, so it's quite the disappointment that we have several officially released "rarities" not included in this release. Here are a few that I was hoping would be included:

"School Cafeteria" - how could he not include the b-side to "My Bologna"?!?!?!?!? (1979)
    "I Lost On Jeopardy" - 12-inch extended mix (1984)
    "Al-TV Theme" - from when he'd take over MTV in the 1980s.
    "Spy Hard" (closing credits version) - from the movie soundtrack (1996)
    "Polka-mon" - the Pokemon movie soundtrack (2000)
    "Patterns" - from 'Square One' TV show (2001).
    "Electric Shaver" - from 'The Weird Al Show' (I think)
    "Hardware Store" - acapella mix (2003)
    "I Need A Nap" - duet with Kate Winslet from the album Dog Train (2005)
    "You're Pitiful" - ok, so this would get him in trouble, but maybe as a "hidden" track? (2006)

16. The Hud

My only guess is royalty related. It is unfortunate that the rarities disc is a bit underwhelming.

17. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Very underwhelming considering his back catalog. Not sure how you can call something the “Complete Works” and leave off officially released material. “School Cafeteria” and the Placebo EP should have been ‘musts’ for this set.

John Bliss, RAJ717, The Hud and 3 others like this.
  18. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I agree 100%.

John Bliss and RAJ717 like this.
  19. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

Medium Rarities is an appropriate title. If it was Extra Rarities, then we'd probably have all his rare tracks included.

John Bliss and JediJoker like this.
  20. Brownd

Brownd Forum Resident Thread Starter

It does say in Al's foreword that Atlantic didn't let them add this one.

RAJ717 and JediJoker like this.
  21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I bet for the right price they would have. ;-)

22. The Hud

I went ahead and bought the Pokémon soundtrack when I heard that this song wasn't being included, and let's just say it isn't a big loss not having it in the box set.

theshape, JediJoker and RAJ717 like this.
  23. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

any chance of a "unlimited" version coming out anytime soon? would enjoy the rarities disc but then and especially at this point can't justify the cost of the thing to get it.

John Bliss likes this.
  24. John Bliss

Would be nice if they put all the albums in a more standard box and had that for sale. I'd guess it would probably be awhile til something like that would be available, if at all. Doesn't seem like anyone involved cares about having the individual reissued titles out for sale on vinyl either, but we'll see I guess.

25. gojikranz

gojikranz Forum Resident

side note Al was selling vinyl copies of peter and the wolf on his recent tour for a staggering 250 dollars. had no idea it had become so rare pretty sure I picked it up for single digit dollars 10 years ago.

also I find it a little distasteful him selling them for that price they had a nice little stack of em so it isn't like it was al's personal copy. I mean maybe that is market price but feels kinda gross having the artist gouge his own product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.