Upgrade Schiit Mani power supply or get better phono stage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Budgetphile, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Budgetphile

Budgetphile Forum Resident Thread Starter

im currently running a Project Carbon Espirit with 2M Blue into a Schiit Mani. My amp is a Yamaha As501 which powers Wharfedale Dentons.

I recently read about an improved power supply for the Mani made by Swagman Labs and the improvement it makes to the sound. This is very appealing to me since I do like my Mani.

My question though is if I get this supply for around $130 would the improvements be better than say buying a Lounge phono or something like a project Tube box? I know the Mani is often described as a giant killer and the Tube Box is about the most expensive phono I’d be willing to purchase. Do I get the power supply or save my pennies for something better? Or should is the Mani the best I’ll do if I’m not willing to spend more than $500 on s phono pre?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

That really depends what you want. Having had a Tube Box and a Budgie (both under $500), I much prefer the Budgie. At the same time, if you're really happy with the Mani and don't want to fuss with tubes and tube rolling (which is not a budget friendly aspect of the hobby), maybe incremental upgrades to what you already have are the way to go.

I've not heard the Mani myself, but I'd be skeptical of how much improvement the power supply upgrade will make unless you know your power situation is such that the upgraded PS will address something that's wrong (noise, interference).

3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

@Budgetphile, I nearly bought that Swagman power supply. I have heard good things about it, but after my last move I was getting RFI with my Mani. After reading a bit more about the Swagman, I found one guy that got it and it did not solve his RFI issues. Ultimately I decided to sell my Mani, as I simply live too close to a radio station and needed something else that was less susceptible to RFI.

If RFI is not an issue for you, then maybe you want to keep the Mani if it meets your needs. However, I would caution you that whatever improvement you are going to get out of the Swagman unit is going to be very, very subtle. If you are expecting night and day out of that, it's probably not going to happen.

Re: the Tube Box, no experience there but I personally would not buy one. If I wanted a tube phono stage I would go for an all tube unit like the Budgie, not a hybrid. Of the Pro-Ject line, the one that looks the most interesting to me is the DS+ with the LED panel on the front. It has a wide range of adjustments but is probably not of much interest to you if you don't plan a major cart upgrade soon or plan to get into cart swapping. I realize your TT is not conducive to cart swapping, so that is another factor to consider.

luckybaer likes this.
  4. russk

russk Forum Resident

I wouldn't do the incremental upgrade thing. Better to save your money and take big steps. If your Mani is working for you keep saving till you can afford at least 600 or 700 dollars and some research time. That is the way to never, well almost never, be disappointed.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I doubt if a different wall wart is going to improve the Mani to any significant level. Do what russk suggests. I don't know about the Tube Box but I had a PhonoBox S (I think). Sold it with the turntable. I wouldn't trade the Mani I am using now for that. However, do some research. Lounge is spoken of well here.

6. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Personally I wouldn't get the new power supply. I'd save a little longer and step up the whole phono stage since the price of the power supply is half way to some strong options for phono stages. I have the iPhono2 ($500) and I love it. I thought it was a solid upgrade. There are several options at the $300ish price point that are very well reviewed also. Or you can probably sell the Mani and use the money from the power supply and be pretty close to the new MoFi preamp. I haven't used it yet, but it's getting pretty strong reviews at $250.

I'm not saying the power supply won't help the Mani. But at that point you'd be at $250 into it, which is the same total investment as the MoFi, and put a lot of other really strong contenders in reach as well.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Forget the power supply, try a nice Lounge LCR III. Good luck. :)

irender, morinix and TheVinylAddict like this.
  8. Budgetphile

Ok, sounds like consensus is to not go with the power supply. I think I will hold off a bit longer and see if the Lounge is an improvement. Appreciate the help.

displayname, bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  9. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I own the Mani, and own or have owned a plethora of other stages under $500 (Cambridge 651p, Vincent Pho 8, Hagerman Bugle to name a few) and just like IMHO the Mani is the sub $150 choice and stands alone (maybe even the sub $250 choice), I look at the Lounge IMHO as the sub $500 choice. even though it is $300. (I actually own two Lounges - one has a Copla for MC setup).

Other ones to consider from what I have HEARD and READ is the Budgie ($400 though tubes can add more expense and are not for everyone) and maybe the iFi iPhono 2 ($500 though you will not find the user base and feedback the Lounge has, more limited in # users).

bluemooze and patient_ot like this.
  10. Budgetphile

Having owned both the Mani and the Lounge, can you give any details on difference in sound or what the Lounge does better than the Mani?

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Have a look at the Fremer Mani/Pluto shootout. The results re: the Mani are accurate. The Mani lacks midrange. The Lounge has midrange.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  12. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

The reviews on the MoFi StudioPhono are still limited because it's new, but they have been very positive. I would have that on my short list with a $300 budget.

13. TheVinylAddict

As Bluemooze noted, and you may have already done - have a look at some of the other opinions out there - but look at both sides of the coin - also look at "Ian" on YouTube (I am sure you have) and his glowing review of the Mani. He thinks the Mani absolutely kills the Lounge - so much so one has to wonder about how he set it up, other factors because any time you hear THAT much difference at this price point you have to wonder. Typically in this price range we are talking about subtleties - some comparisons are more stark, but in this case not as much IMHO. That review left many here on Hoffman who own the Lounge wondering.

It's easy to ask others their choice and many times you will get a certain answer because someone owns that choice. Even if they don't, then you are left with one view from Fremer, another from Ian, another from me, Bluemooze,etc. Who do you believe? You don't have their ears. When you ask someone else what they hear, that is where the "grain of salt" comes in and only you can ultimately answer that. Also discount that it's the net and believe it or not sometimes there is a motivation for certain choices.

Personally to my ears, the Lounge is a rung up the ladder in sound and build quality. Definitely in build quality, it is a substantial well made piece. To me the Lounge has a wider, more natural soundstage, a cleaner bass (the Mani can be a little bloated there IMHO), better overall separation of sound - and yes, I agree with Fremer a better midrange. For my ears, of all the phono stages I have auditioned, the Lounge is the most complete and pleasing to my ears.

<Disclaimer> This is MY finding on MY setup - it ultimately depends on many factors as you know - the quality of your TT, cables, speakers, how well you set up your cartridge, etc. There are so many variables to what ultimately hits your ears, including your own subjectivity and hearing. "You hear what you want to hear" is very true in this hobby, but it is compounded with the level of equipment you own and your own knowledge on how to set it up. I looked at your profile, and I have never personally heard the Lounge on a Project TT with a Ort Red and Boston HD10 speakers - so I cannot comment on how it will sound on your system, and especially how it will compare to the Lounge.

I will say if I had to do it all over again with a sub $500 budget I would likely end up with the same choice - with the exception of trying the MoFi out this time (it's newer) because a lot of people whose opinion I trust like it too.

I see you already own the Mani - it wouldn't be hard to purchase a Lounge or a MoFi and tell us what you think! That is the only way you are going to know for sure....

Jimijam likes this.
  14. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

If you are looking at tubes the Budgie is the way to go.....lots of loading options and the tubes are not overly expensive, even for Bugle Boys....and they'll last a long time. The Budgie knocked my EAR 834 to the curb.

jimbutsu likes this.
  15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

One thing that's not clear in the OP:

Is the OP looking for the improved power supply to enhance the sound quality OR to reduce the RFI issues the Mani is known to have in some, but not all setups? Or both?

JQ

16. Budgetphile

I have no RFI issues just want to improve sound

patient_ot likes this.
  17. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Just stay with the Mani until you can do a substantial upgrade then.

18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

I second this. The upgraded power supply has received favorable commentary on the web due to it's alleged ability to reduce the RFI issues some people have. NOT to provide a quantum leap in sound quality.

patient_ot likes this.
  19. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I tried the Lounge (secondhand unit) and sold it since I didn’t like it as much as the Mani. Had it in my system a couple weeks and it was ok but when I swapped the Mani back in it was more to my liking. Could just be a better match with the rest of my setup more than a better unit overall. A more substantial upgrade like mentioned above would certainly be a better bet, in my opinion.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The thing is, no one can predict how a given unit will sound in your system, or OP's system. People have their forum favorites or whatever, but if it doesn't sound good to you in your system, time to move on and find something else. I recently got a new phono stage and it came with a 60 day return policy. If I don't like it for any reason I can send it back and order something else.

21. scottdavis0801

scottdavis0801 Forum Resident

Just got the Mani 3, and am getting the swagman labs psu. Ive had the black cube statement, and the Mofi studiophono. I am enjoying the Mani much more, but am hoping to tighten some of the issues stated in other reviews with the power supply upgrade.

22. Damonsbest

Damonsbest New Member

Hey Scott,

Please post the results of the linear power supply when you come to a conclusion.
    I would really like to hear your outcome of the swagman labs power supply with your Schiit Mani.

I own a swagman DC power supply which powers either my streamer or project phono box e.
    The results to my ears are a lot more than subtle.

I recently upgraded my turntable which has me in need for a new phono preamp to deliver the goods.
    Mani is on my mind. But hearing the difference the swagman made on the phono box e, I would be considering the swagman on the mani.

23. cakyol

cakyol Member

Sorry for joining this thread late....

I am trying to understand why yet another simple AC power step down transformer makes any difference to Mani's sound.
    This device produces AC. The Mani itself internally rectifies, filters and produces the DC.
    What possible advantage does this provide ? It does not make sense.

24. TheVinylAddict

Frankly and IMHO, if someone is spending as much as the Mani (or more) on an "upgraded" power supply with the expectation of hearing a drastic difference in sound, then I would contend they have most likely succumbed to hyperbolic marketing practices, and /or hearing what expectation bias sounds like! :)

I own the Mani (among many other phono pre's), it's fine little preamp for $129 -- and probably tops in the "tough to beat for that price" --- but I would encourage one to use any extra coin to upgrade the preamp before dropping a bunch of coin on a "better" wall wart or power supply.

Just my humble opinion.

Davey likes this.
  25. scottdavis0801

scottdavis0801 Forum Resident

I am way late on this post but, still have swagman & mani combo. I have been through just about every phono preamp for under $500. I'm ready for a change, but its going to have to be something really good to beat the Mani!! I guess i'm in aggreance with the IAN/Schiit Mani camp!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.