Too many vinyl editions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erikdavid5000, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erikdavid5000

erikdavid5000 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is anyone here simply done with buying new, special editions, remixes, etc of our favorite albums?

I ask because I just bought a nice new 180gram version of Electric Warrior and then on my very next visit to the record shop there’s an even newer “Kevin Gray Remix” version. I recently bought the remix Sgt. Pepper after buying the 2012 version and now there’s another stereo reissue coming. And I can’t even count how many times I’ve bought a new version of Pet Sounds.

Is anyone sick of all this or is it “the more the merrier?”

zongo likes this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Luckily for my sanity and wallet my favorite bands usually only do it once...:laugh:

3. SuperFuzz

SuperFuzz Forum Resident

He remastered it, not remixed it.

Well in the case of the T. Rex, the new Kevin Gray remaster is a huge improvement over previous reissues, so that is definitely a merrier situation.

CBackley and vinylontubes like this.
  4. erikdavid5000

Oops, my mistake. And now I’m tempted to snag it ;)

5. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Unless there is significant new bonus material, I never buy reissues of albums I already own, because my money is better spent buying new albums I haven't heard yet. I've never understood the apparent need to buy every version of every album I own.

Gaslight and erikdavid5000 like this.
  6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You should get it while you can. It was part of the Roctober releases. It's not a limited run, but, it was only available in the US, so I imagine resell exporting to the EU is dwindling the numbers until the 2nd pressing.

erikdavid5000 likes this.
  7. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

I don't like bonus material, an album is how I know it, how the artist and I accept the record company decided it should be. Bonus stuff is fun and special but it should be on another album. not tagged on the end of a concept.

Fender Relic, Sean and ShallowMemory like this.
  8. erikdavid5000

I dig bonus tracks on CD’s because it’s obvious that the album is over and then the bonus tracks come, and CD special editions feel like a historical study of an album, but, for instance, the Island John Cale albums have been reissued with bonus tracks at the end of each side of the record. They’re fantastic songs too and now it’s hard to imagine the albums without them, which kind of shouldn’t happen.

royzak2000 and c-eling like this.
  9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I mostly feel the same way, but, I would have like to have Murder by Numbers by number on my copy of the Police's Synchronicity. I know they put the Mother on there because Andy needed a song, but it should have been the bonus song on the cassette and CD.

royzak2000 and c-eling like this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

No kidding erikdavid, I'm a sucker for them as well. :laugh: I cherish my old Mode Speak & Spell Extra-
    [​IMG]

11. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Non-issue for me. There are way too many new releases and albums I don't own to buy more than the occasional re-release of an album I already own. I can count on one hand the number of times I've doubled-dipped on a new deluxe edition in the last couple years.

Gaslight and erikdavid5000 like this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

If it’s better, I’m buying.

Plus, I’m waiting for AP to do Layla and Eat a Peach...then I’ll retire!

13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I understand it somewhat as I occasionally cave and do it. Reason is usually nostalgia driven, with a need or hope that the new version will breath some life into an old favorite where it "sounds like the first time I heard it" or some such nonsense on my part.

Ultimately self-defeating and just ends up on my shelf only after a few plays. New releases, on the other hand, generally get a lot more play time because...they are fresh to my ears.

The nostalgia demon is hard to keep down though.

erikdavid5000, gonz and Sean like this.
  14. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Magical original analog era LPs only for me.

15. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

No, maybe it's in part because I'm buying a lot of these albums on vinyl for the first time but some of these albums have had so many different variations done over the years that it seems silly to complain about such a thing. Between different pressings for each country and subtle changes in the label, first press to second, third, fourth and 5th, mono or stereo, Duophonic and MOFI the idea that there is a Re-Issue of an album in 180 gram so that I can buy a new copy for a reasonable price (depending on how you look at it) doesn't seem so farfetched to me. Especially if you look at the stuff that came out between the early 90s and 2010.

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm unaffected by these, as I've been retired, and on a pension for going on 5 years now. My last purchase had been a Tom Petty album, on vinyl, that I had never owned before, remastered by Chris Bellman (I'm a fan), found at the absolute lowest price.
    That was October. Fast-forward to January, and the Fleetwood Mac S/T box, again at the lowest price possible. Nothing since.
    My hat's off to those with seemingly bottomless bank accounts, and more than enough square footage to house 20 different versions of the same recording. That's not me, and now it never will be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.