Must buy Allman Brothers Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin Wood, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Wood

Kevin Wood Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ugh I feel like I should know the answer to this question..... I know Fillmore East is on the list.. (what version of this album is worth getting) what else? is only Duanne Allman Records essential?

Thanks

Bossyman and mdent like this.
  2. Pennywise

Pennywise Forum Resident

Apart from the obvious ones, I really love their final album, Hittin' The Note.

3. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Eat a Peach is considered a classic, but it’s also a bit of a mess. The first two albums with Duane are well worth it also. I also really like Brothers & Sisters, their first album without Duane.

Sean, wavethatflag, Linus and 6 others like this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

No Brothers and Sisters is essential too.
    Dickey Betts proves his worth in the band continuing without Duane with Ramblin' Man, Southbound and Jessica.

Avoid the Arista releases.

Seven Turns introduces Warren Haynes. So this is notable because they finally found a slide guitar replacement.

5. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

The first 5 (including the live one) are the essentials. Lots of good to great after that, but those are the core, IMO.

6. woody

woody Forum Resident

Where It All Begins has some fine moments. Don't know if it is available on vinyl record but you can easily find a used cd.

agundy and Kevin Wood like this.
  7. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Do not listen to anybody who insists that the only recordings to get are the ones with Duane on them. Certainly the 1st 5 albums as suggested but also the albums released from Seven Turns and onwards should be on your list. There are also 100's of high quality live recordings from 2004 onwards that you should try to investigate.

utopiarun, Dennis0675, Quincy and 2 others like this.
  8. hifisoup

hifisoup @hearmoremusic on Instagram

There is much to enjoy on all of their albums. Buy them all.

MadCajun, Sean, fairies and 1 other person like this.
  9. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

There's a great Original Album box set with 5 of the later ones.

BNell likes this.
  10. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Beginnings, is a good value twofer, featuring the first two albums.

11. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

All of them featuring the original members + Brothers and Sisters Super Deluxe

WapatoWolf and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Definitely a case of diminishing returns from Win, Lose or Draw until the breakup. I think all the post reunion albums have merit, though.

Edit: On the plus side, if you do want to check those albums out, they're cheap and common.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  13. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Although not ABB releases, you have to hear Gregg's Laid Back and Low Country Blues( in addition to the must haves from the ABB catalog)

john lennonist, BNell and L.P. like this.
  14. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Everything from the debut up to and including Brothers and Sisters is essential. As is all associated live material, official or otherwise.

15. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Everything up to Enlightened Rogues, and everything after Seven Turns(including)

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

The 1992 Fillmore Concerts is basically an expanded version of the original Fillmore East album, and more is always better with the ABB.

Kevin Wood likes this.
  17. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

These are the ones I'd say you NEED:

Eat A Peach (MFSL)
    Live At Fillmore East (MFSL)
    Brothers & Sisters (newer MFSL)
    Idlewild South (original)

If you can find the box set "Dreams" absolutely get that too!

WapatoWolf, seed_drill and jeffsab like this.
  18. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Except Beginnings contains an alternate and, ultimately, inferior mix than if you get the first two albums separately.

Dreams266 likes this.
  19. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

It may seem like a cop out, but A Decade of Hits 1969-1979 is a superb compilation. It is really well sequenced and has a flow to it that helps it transcend the standard issue greatest hits package. Even if you have everything else, I encourage you to play the songs in this particular order at least once.

Scopitone likes this.
  20. vinylontubes

I really like the An Evening With The Allman Brothers Band albums. But, I've never seen them on vinyl. Apparently they were release in the EU.

utopiarun and jonathan like this.
  21. vinylontubes

So, not the Arista releases? I have Brother of the Road, it's dreadful. There is one good song on it. It's the last song. I bet more people have listened all through Metal Machine than have made to the last song on that album.

Anyway, here it is:

22. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

As stated, the first five. Get expanded Fillmore East.
    Then enjoy one of the BEST bands of all time.

23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

The obvious:

Eat A Peach
    Live At Fillmore East
    Brothers & Sisters
    Idlewild South

For Compilations you can’t beat A Decade Of Hits if you want to sample first on CD as they can be found very cheap in the used bins.

I am a huge fan of the Capricorn Records vinyl compilation: The Road Goes On Forever if you can find it. There is also a expanded CD set from 2001 but that might be OOP and harder to find then the used vinyl.

I know some people will disagree but for a nice sample of live Chuck Levell era from 72-75 “Wipe The Windows, Change The Oil” does the job.

If you want to check out later era with Warren and Derek try:

One Way Out - Live At The Beacon.

WapatoWolf and The Sage like this.
  24. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I know in a thread such as this and with all of the passionate ABB fans on this forum pretty close to everything the band did will be someone's essential album. The band has excellent releases throughout their storied career but let's be honest, those first five years are what built the reputation of this band and most of what followed simply extended and built upon the legacy.

Must haves:

The Allman Brothers Band (1969)
    Idlewild South (1970)
    Fillmore East (1971)
    Eat a Peach (1972)
    Brothers and Sisters (1973)

All of your ABB classic songs will be found on these first 5 albums...Ramblin' Man, It's Not My Cross To Bear, Elizabeth Reed, Melissa, Midnight Rider, Jessica, Whipping Post..

After that the Brothers wouldn't be as consistent again until the 90's which is an era that also needs exploring after you've hit the above essentials.

25. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Easy - the first 5 albums are all essential and that is where you start.

Exile On My Street likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.