Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) - SPOILERS POSSIBLE*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I think it might be better that Rey truely comes from nothing and not a product of perfect Jedi blood or whatever. It harkens back to Anakin Skywalker and his ambiguous beginnings.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    David Campbell and neo123 like this.
  2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

You wouldn't ask that if you read the 3-4 posts directly above yours. I'm seeing it tomorrow and it's nice to see some people who liked it join the thread. The haters have had the place to themselves.

3. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I saw it again and enjoyed it much more the second time around for some reason. I thought was just okay the first time around, loved it the second time around.

There was next to no audience applause when I saw it late last night. There was plenty of audience of audience applause for this afternoon's show.

4. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's also in keeping with one of the themes of the film. You don't have to come from the bloodline of someone important to be somebody important. Your bloodline does not predetermine the kind of person you are going to be.

artfromtex and David Campbell like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Kylo/Rey using The Force like it was Skype to get lovey dovey was sickening. THIS GUY KILLED HAN SOLO. Its true....women always fall for the a-hole. Poor Finn gets stuck in the Friend Zone.

Who was Snoke? Will we ever know? Guess not.

Steve Litos and The Doctor like this.
  6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

The Knights of Ren you say?They will be speculated about by fans for the next 2 years in thousands of forums and videos and endless theories much like "who is Snoke" and who Rey's parents were,only to be given the same treatment as them in the next movie.

The Doctor likes this.
  7. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

the only question I really have is will any piece of the score be able to top Reys Theme...

8. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

Is it necessary or helpful to have first seen Rogue One?

9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

No. They are completely unrelated.

However, I recommend RO. Great movie, IMO.

Wounded Land and Thesmellofvinyl like this.
  10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I've seen it twice. First time, I thought it was just okay. Second time, I loved it.

Jason Manley likes this.
  11. Daniel Plainview

I see Chrome Trooper lady still undeserving of her high rank.

12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I've heard as much from others...

Encuentro likes this.
  13. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

I wonder what Rey's midichlorian count is. :rolleyes:

Propinquity likes this.
  14. artfromtex

I am going again on Monday morning with my best friend since 3rd grade. We are both Star Wars fans who grew up with the original trilogy. (Born in 72/73) It will be his 2nd viewing as well.

vertigone, Encuentro and Jason Manley like this.
  15. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

I would venture to guess we're all in that 40-50 age group. The first Star Wars movie I saw was ROTJ in '83, age 7. I vaguely remember my aunt taking me to the SW77 maybe a year before that ('82 re-release?) but I was too scared to stay. :laugh:

My first time viewing FORCE AWAKENS was at the end of a 16-18 hour AMC Marathon of seeing all 6 saga films. I was practically catatonic after being at an AMC theater that long. I didn't feel like that gave me the best chance to enjoy it so I went back the very next night to a different theater. 2nd viewing was much more enjoyable.

I will likely give LAST JEDI a second viewing but I may wait a little bit before I do. I don't expect my 'rating meter' to move much from 3-out of-4 stars but, we'll see.

:shrug:

Encuentro and artfromtex like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I enjoyed it, definitely top 5 Star Wars film for me, but just barely.

1 Star Wars
    2 Empire Strikes back
    3 Rogue One
    4 Force Awakens
    5 Last Jedi

Top recent films
    1 Thor Ragnarok
    2 Justice League
    3 Last Jedi

I'm 53 and my 17 year old son concurs with the above ratings, but ymmv.

17. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

That it does. I'm finding the complaints to be all over the place. I have some of my own. But things like "Reylo" are definitely not one of them. That might've been one of the most compelling parts of the film. That is something I never would have predicted and as it happens you can feel the air get sucked out of the theater. Those are unexpected 'twists' that I loved.

Others, not as much.

turnersmemo and Encuentro like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Is Reys training complete? I mean, Luke didnt exactly teach her anything and now he's gone. I don't get it.

The Doctor likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I thought the same thing. Why did Luke and the others before him need extensive (years) of training and Rey and Ben (especially Rey) seem to be much more advanced with limited training.

Also, could someone possibly correct me on something. If the "big plan" aboard the rebel cruiser was to use cloaking devices to hide the smaller ships so they could escape to the abandoned rebel base, is there some reason that information couldn't be shared with Poe? I mean, they guy decides to seize control of the ship because he feels the "plan" (as he saw it) was poor. Couldn't this all have been avoided if they just told him. I know his character needed to learn to follow orders (as mentioned by Leia), but it seems like this went a bit overboard.

20. artfromtex

I am a couple of years older than you. I got the privilege of seeing ESB about ten times in the theater. God bless my Dad for taking me and sitting there all those times. Great memories.

Bowie Fett and Jason Manley like this.
  21. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

I saw it today.

I'm still sort of processing everything ,and some things made my nerd rage surge in places, but all in all I enjoyed it and I think I'll like it even more once I see it a few times more and be able to put everything in its proper place.

The Great:

Mark Hamill. While I had some issues with Luke's arc at first, after thinking on it more and more, it makes perfect sense , especially within the context of this story. And the ending scenes with Leia and Kylo... Just great stuff. I know Mark apparently wasn't initially thrilled with what Rian Johnson came up for Luke, but man did he nail it. His best performance in the series to date. ( Yes...To date. He's gonna be back in Episode IX as the grand daddy of all force ghosts)

The visuals: it's a beautiful film visually. It really has the best of both the Prequel and OT's sensibilities.

YODA. If you don't love Yoda, you have no soul. Also it was ESB Yoda which was a plus.

John Williams: I hope he lives long enough to bring us Episode IX.

The Good:

Subverting expectations at every turn. When I thought it would zig, it zagged. It started from frame one and didn't let up.

Leia. Wasn't a big fan of her in TFA, but Carrie did great here. This was the Leia I wanted to see in the last one. A few scenes made me tear up. I'm sad we won't see her in IX. I once said they should recast Leia, but after this? No. This movie was the perfect send off to her.

Kylo Ren. I wasn't impressed with Adam Driver in TFA. He was fine, but just that. Fine. Here, he was a great character, and makes for a great addition to the Star Wars universe. I'm not big on the whole reylo shipping , but I really enjoyed their ying yang dynamic.

Poe Dameron. The most interesting of our new heroes this time around.

Porgs. Yeah they're cute. What of it? Loved the bit with Chewie and the Porgs when they gave him the sad eyes as he tried to eat one of their own.

What was meh:

Finn did a whole lot of nothing. Wasn't a fan of his plotline, but both he and Rose were likable.

The droids: usually a big fan of C3pO/R2/BB8, but... They we're underwhelming here in general.

Laura Dern. She was largely wasted here. It's a pity because I usually like her in everything. Her Death scene is Bad ass though.

Snoke...Andy Serkis did a great job as usual...But we know nothing at all about Snoke and now he's dead? Ok, I guess.

Rey. I still think Daisy Ridley did a fine job and she worked well with Mark and Adam, but her arc seems underwhelming compared to Kylo and Luke's, IMO.

The Bad:

Not a big fan of Canto Bight. Sort of out of place and pointless ultimately.

Benico Del Toro: great actor...But his character took me out of the movie whenever he was on screen. Saw his betrayle far away.

Luke's " death". Yeah I know he will return in some form, ( come on..." No one is ever truly gone" and " see ya around, kid"? He should have just looked at the camera and told us " see ya in 2019, guys!") but the nerd in me still hated to see him die. Great note for him to go out on...But damn it was sad.

Other:

I am not convinced we've received final word on Rey's parentage. She may not be a Skywalker or Solo, but...I don't think it's as cut and dry as this movie indicates.

I do wonder where this is going. It's obvious they were envisioning a big role for Carrie in IX...And in some ways this movie felt like I was watching Episode IX, so whatever comes next will feel like an epilogue. I'm intrigued and uncertain what comes next.

22. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I’ve just finished my second viewing. Love it.

After the first viewing, my feelings were mixed, simply because I expected a very different tone. Word was that the film was the darkest Star Wars yet (a year-old rumor).

Sammy Banderas and Encuentro like this.
  23. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I loved it after my second viewing. The risky aspect is intentional, according to those who worked on the film.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I can't rank "TLJ" yet - I won't rank it until I've seen it at least one more time.

Liked but didn't love it on first glance, though.

Leaving out "TLJ", right now, I'd rank 'em:

ESB
    SW
    TFA
    ROTJ
    ROTS
    TPM
    AotC

If forced, I'd put "TLJ" either right before or after "ROTS" - and I honestly find it tough to believe I'll move it up from there.

Flaws and all, I just can't imagine I'll decide I like "ROTJ" less than I like "TLJ"...

25. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Too many of their plans didn't work. It's funny when a plan or two doesn't work. It's impressive to come up with a new plan on the fly by adapting to the situations as they arise when your first idea doesn't work. When everybody's plans seem to be poorly thought out and fail and you spend the whole movie running away, the whole cast looks desperate and stupid.

Ghostworld likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.