Tom Petty - 1950 - 2017 RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Oct 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Just got a surprise delivery of Tom Petty wrapping paper from the Highway Companions Club today. Don't know if I have the heart to actually wrap something with it!

2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

When I was 13, my left hand ring finger was smashed in a door jam. "Where you going with this, KSF?" Let me tell the story...

As I was saying...I had about 2 years of guitar experience, and wanted to audition for a summer theatre camp musical with a Petty song. With no fretting hand to make the chords, I chose "Make It Better" to audition with (with the original recording as a backing track and me singing on top of Tom's vocal). The kids thought I was nuts (those I went to high school with later on either thought I was great or teased me about it), and I didn't get a singing part. I had fun singing it, though.

Although I don't dislike the track, I can think of others (*cough* "Trailer" *cough*) that would've fit the LP better.

ccbarr, Hep Alien and Fullbug like this.
  3. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

FYI Trailer was the B side of Don’t Come Round Here Anymore.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

A belated congratulations to Benmont Tench and his wife Alice on the birth of their baby daughter on December 16th.

...and on a totally unrelated note, there are some Heartbreakers surprises apparently in store for 2018. More on that probably once the calendar flips.

- "I don't believe the good times are over, I don't believe the thrill is all gone"

Hep Alien, Runicen, krock2009 and 5 others like this.
  5. fourfeathers

Can you elaborate on those Heartbreaker surprises??

krock2009, Bonddm and Zoot Marimba like this.
  6. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I have no idea what's in store. But if there were any justice in this world, every Tom Petty album - not just Damn the Torpedoes, should be reissued as a deluxe edition, with a bonus disc containing demos, outtakes and b-sides, and a code for downloading a complete concert from that period. I'd also like to see a compilation of all of the Mudcrutch recordings from the 70s.

7. KinkySmallFace1991

Southern Accents and Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) have outtakes that could make a second disc (former) and an alternate album (latter). Those are the two albums that should have had the Deluxe treatment a long time ago.

Davido, DEAN OF ROCK, laf848 and 3 others like this.
  8. :confused:

9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

In the UK sky arts last night showed highlights of the Hyde Park gig. Only two TP songs broadcast... Refugee and You Wreck Me. Mix was not great but Tom seemed very under powered to me.

10. KinkySmallFace1991

One cool thing I managed to score for Christmas was the audiophile CD of Mudcrutch 1 that was exclusive if you bought the vinyl. Finally, this album sounds right!

11. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

I did pick up Mudcrutch 2 very good

12. fourfeathers

Treated myself to my first Sirius subscription this holiday season, and I don't know how I ever lived without it -- especially Tom Petty Radio. They throw so many awesome live cuts, and so frequently! Just heard an absolutely smokin' take of "Swingin'" from this past spring in New Orleans. Give us more 2017 recordings!!!

Hep Alien and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Tom Petty was the greatest songwriter, singer and person. I love his Sirius radio station. His voice is great, very deep and rich. Everything about him was great.

laf848, 905, jumpinjulian and 2 others like this.
  14. twistandshout

Does anyone know if any books on Petty (aside from the Zanes biography) will be reprinted? I'd love to see Runnin' Down A Dream coffee table book be reprinted (I see it sells for a couple hundred dollars on Amazon)...and Conversations with Petty book by Zollo should also be reprinted...I hope there will also be new books on Petty too. He was one of the greatest musicians ever. Would love to see some DVDs and books put out on him.

Hep Alien and 905 like this.
  15. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Vinyl sounds great definitely recommend

16. twistandshout

I think Tom Petty sounds great on vinyl, CD or any other medium....he'd even sound good singing through a straw under water.

17. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Absolutely. He is and will be missed.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I was blown away by the first mudcrutch 2lp, haven't heard 2 yet. As well as being amazed at the quality of his work since 93 all of the albums are mixed and mastered amazingly. Really love mojo !

dougb222, Bonddm and tinnox like this.
  19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I still stop short every few weeks and get all sad when I think about no new Petty records

20. twistandshout

Petty was so good - that all the other icons/legends contacted him to ask him to collaborate with them....such as Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan (who asked Petty to tour with him), Carl Perkins, Stevie Nicks, George Harrison (who asked Petty to be in the Wilburys) and so many others. Petty, in my opinion, is/was in a class all his own. There will never be another like him.

21. twistandshout

Just curious - anything ever mentioned about the toxicology report on Petty and what was the final cause of his death? Seems like 3 months is enough time to have the results.....

CCrider92 and 905 like this.
  22. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

I can’t split the 2 Mudcutch albums!
    I love this Mike Campbell track from Mudcrutch 2.

carlwm, Opeth and tinnox like this.
  23. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

So, so very true, Two are my favorites from his vast canyon of great albums.

tinnox likes this.
  24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Think I'll give this one a listen this weekend. Probably end up buying the lp after !

Bonddm likes this.
  25. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Absolutely ! The care taken is much appreciated. All the hi res reissues are amazing. Love the hypnotic eye Blu Ray, have it on 2lp also. Can't believe he's no longer with us, this one hit like a bus along with Chris Cornell.

Hep Alien and laf848 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.