MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I'm familiar with the stereo re-mix that happened very soon after release (and is the mix on every subsequent release to date). But I have never heard that the mono was also re-mixed. Intrigued though.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Blonde On Blonde

BoB - Appendix C

3. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Anyone else any opinions on the MoFi JWH versus the one on the mono box? Have a chance to acquire it at a decent price.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  4. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Back when the MFSL Dylan mono's were first announced Blonde appeared with the others on Music Direct's website. A couple of months later it was removed. Not if positive or negative although my opinion leans towards the later .

5. misterbozz

misterbozz Senior Member

Catalog numbers for SACD mono HW61 (CMFSA2182M) and JWH (CMFSA2183M) are sequential, so seems unlikely BoB got much further than that catalog shot.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I got my mono sacd Highway 61 Revisited yesterday and played it last night. I thought it was excellent. So 6 of the 7 mono sacds are now out with just Another Side to come. (The 45 rpm vinyl series seems to have stalled at the moment.)

Joti Cover likes this.
  7. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I think it is well worth getting if you are able to play the sacd layer. Both the MFSL mono and the 2010 Sony m0no box version are super in my opinion.

joannenugent and Mike McMann like this.
  8. Mike McMann

Mike McMann Forum Resident

Well said, both are worth having.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  9. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Not sure I love the Freewheelin' SACD as unconditionally as some in this thread.

More tape hiss is revealed and it adds a brightness to the vocals. At least on Don't Think Twice, It's All Right.

Still early stages of my comparison, but it's not a blowout vs the 2010 remaster.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  10. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

How do the MFSL vinyl (of the ones that have come out) compare to the mono box vinyl?

rollo5 likes this.
  11. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

What titles have come out on mono 45rpm vinyl so far? Is their any concensus on favorites from the 45rpm mono vinyl titles?

Thanks

12. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

John Wesley Harding, Highway 61, Bringing It all Back Home, and Time They are a Changin', I think. I would like to know if it's worth the rather steep $50 to upgrade these from the Sony box set.

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The 4 mentioned above came out in dec 2016 in mono. 3 more have been announced with no release date.
    No word whether Blonde on Blonde will get a mono version.

My take on the monos is that the 4 early albums with the split vocal/harmonica stereo mix are best in mono,
    the later albums with a full band I prefer in stereo.

time format stereo mono date
    1962 Bob Dylan Columbia 36 min double 2014 2018 TBA
    1963 The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan Columbia 50 min double 2012 2018 TBA
    1963 The Times They Are A-Changin' Columbia 45 min double 2014 Dec.-16
    1964 Another Side Of Bob Dylan Columbia 50 min double 2012 2018 TBA
    1965 Bringing It All Back Home Columbia 46.5 min double 2012 Dec.-16
    1965 Highway 61 Revisited Columbia 49 min double 2014 Dec.-16
    1966 Blonde On Blonde Columbia 71 min triple 2013 no
    1967 John Wesley Harding Columbia 38.5 min double 2015 Dec.-16

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  14. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

You'll get no argument here. The question is whether the Sony mono box set vinyl, which is very good, is a noticeable notch lower in quality than these MFSL mono 45srpms.

George P likes this.
  15. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Since 3 of the first 4 aren't out yet, that's hard to answer.

16. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

I spoke too soon. I think they're all better in mono. But yeah, we only have the third album to compare from the first four (primarily acoustic) records. I'd like to hear about JWH, H61, and BIABH, too.

17. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

Thank you!!!!

DeRosa likes this.
  18. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I a/b'd about six songs between the mofi and 2010 mono, this after being though the mofi mono both redbook on the office, and sacd on the main rig a few times since my first listen, and I feel quite the same as my initial impressions, I am loving this mofi a lot more. Now after comparing I think this is more about the transfer, and then centering the whole thing to have it all take up much more of your soundstage on the mofi. A lot more musical information and nuance is coming through on the mofi, again seemingly the transfer, and it is all spread out fuller range on my systems so there is more room for every bit of it and its overtones to standout. I don't think it is eq as much as the fuller range, and the fact that nothing is as veiled or smaller in the image as it is on the 2010, but all that tape energy could be perceived as brighter I suppose; it is more intense I will say that. It usually doesn't occur to me to mention if anyone listens primarily on headphones, but in this case I could see it being an overwhelming experience. Anyway, this may be more of a taste thing, but if you want every ounce of that tape put straight to you all spread out I think that is what the mofi is doing. It is brilliant to me, but then brilliant has a few different meanings I suppose!

Lonson and Rob Hughes like this.
  19. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Which album is that?

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Nuts; Freewheelin', sorry everyone.

21. Seven of eight of the mono titles have been released, correct?

22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

No, six of seven SACDs announced have been released. Another Side of Bob Dylan still has not been released. Blonde on Blonde is not scheduled in the series.

Shvartze Shabbos and bmoregnr like this.
  23. Ah, that's right. Thank you for sorting that for me!

Lonson likes this.
  24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

No problem. I hope that Blonde on Blonde becomes scheduled eventually .. .I'd love to have that in mono on MoFi SACD.

25. You and me both!

Lonson likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.