The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

It is generally believed that the concert is poor and Jim bored. I've heard countless hours of doors' live stuff and I think the show is well-tuned and jim exact in alignment with the melody. Maybe I'm wrong I do not know.
    Additionally, there is no lack of energy and feeling from the show, I would say that the mysterious stage presence of the group should be judged separately from their sound. I love this show.

jomo48 and mark renard like this.
  2. Speaking for myself only, I have already seen it but it just doesn't hold much, if any, replay value for me. Yes, all Doors footage is worth watching but not all of it is great and for me personally, one watch was all I needed. Give me the un-edited Roundhouse and you can gladly have my money. Now that I would want to see again!

3. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

They released The End from this on an earlier DVD of whole Isle of Wight concert. It's subdued like said but they play well. Honestly, I find the Hollywood Bowl concert to be boring and Jim is tripping his face off in that and doing his regular antics. I think this will prob be more interesting

Matthew Tate, Adam Bosman and Fullbug like this.
  4. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

i was told by one of the Doors crew Jim was sacked from the band after the performance

5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

This is sourced from 16mm film so it's very possible the image is true 16:9, if it has been cropped that would be very unfortunate. How was it presented on the IOW DVD?

Shawn likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That did not happen.

Matthew Tate and anastasios like this.
  7. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

Absolutely not true. They recorded the LA Woman record and did a brief tour AFTER the IOW performance.

Matthew Tate and anastasios like this.
  8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I just compared the 16:9 official trailer to a 4:3 source on youtube. Definitely cropped. They even cutoff Jim's head in one shot.

9. Geez, that's really unfortunate, and a pretty big screw-up / poor lack of judgement. I'm actually excited about this release but if they messed up the aspect ratio...

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  10. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Looking into this.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  11. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

People can quit/be fired and return to work a couple days later. George Costanza tried it, unsuccessfully in his case.

12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is true, but the 1970/1971 period has been well documented and Morrison was not "fired" from the band after the Isle of Wight gig.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I blame ISIS.

14. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It was just the top of his head. So probably not.

Six Bachelors, impalaboy and Fullbug like this.
  15. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

I'm very much looking forward to this BD/CD release. A great set list of what are now classics played live less than year before the whole **** house went up in flames. Count me in.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  16. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

What video did you compare to the trailer?

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

This BoT video:

But the trailer is short bits of footage so I could only match a couple moments between the two.

Here's the trailer: The Doors Live at the Isle of Wight - 1970 - 60 second trailer

Go to about :38 on that and compare at about :58 on the BoT video. There are a couple other quick moments and all show the trailer cropped vs the 4:3 BoT video. You'll see that the two mirror each other, I assume that's something they did for th trailer to place the words where they wanted. At least hopefully. Anyway, it can be seen that the trailer has the imagine zoomed and cropped but because there's so much black around Jim, it's hard to say what that means for the picture where there is more going on. It's possible there will be some extra left/right image while the top/bottom is cropped. I think that's how the Hollywood Bowl was. Still, they could've opened it up without cropping. Anyway, we won't know exactly what is going on until the final product unless they happen to put out BoT or The End on youtube before then.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    jmcinnis likes this.
  18. Pats Radio

The Doors: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival was scanned from the original 16mm film elements in 2K resolution and conformed to a wide-screen aspect ratio. Fortunately, their performance was shot wide enough that very little of the top and bottom of the image was cropped. Most of that was dead space above the band or of the floor below them. This same technique was applied to the band’s prior concert release - The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl 68.

19. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

....but why? I would much prefer they just leave it in the aspect ratio that it was shot in, t's not a deal breaker but it's very unfortunate.

20. Pats Radio

That I don’t know but that’s the story. Legit.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. jim shaffer

jim shaffer Active Member

cannot wait for the isle of wight blu and cd, any new release by the doors is exciting for me. i agree with pats radio on the iow show.
    hope to see in the future in addition to the matrix box

stockholm shows - awesome shows.
    bakersfield
    seattle

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Pats, can you tell us more about the overdubs?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I too have heard the rumour about Jim exceeding the band's touring patience in 1970 and ultimatums given. Dallas/NO gigs being a last chance for Jim.

Other unknowns about the 70-71 period are the aborted Rothchild tapes, video cameras present during the LAW sessions, OV/FC songs offered to Jim, other singers auditions before Jim died, band members even expecting/wanting Jim to return and OV/FC recording dates.

Ray has done tons of interviews but fans have noticed inconsistencies. Mid 70's interviews from Ray had a very different tone than mid 90's.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

When they chop of Jim's forehead/hands(watch the vintage IOW edits of End/WTMO on youtube) and the music isn't hi-Rez(says dolby digital 5.1) as industry standard on Blu-rays.

The 6-7 other acts(Taste/Moodies/Who/Cohen/Jimi/Miles) with IOW70 Blu rays are probably all 4:3.

Shawn likes this.
  25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I told you what my complaints are about - the possibility of lossy surrounds audio only on the Blu-Ray (unlikely but advertised as such) and the cropping of the footage from 4:3 to 16:9. The latter is wholly unnecessary and a real shame if true.

At least this show shouldn’t need all the creative solutions that the Hollywood Bowl was deemed to need for the audio and also received for the footage (that bit of Robby breathing out steam!)

As for this particular show being released, I have no objections. It’s in the vault and it’s not terrible - release it. It’s just a pity if odd choices are made in the presentation.

I was too. A terrific release. The documentary is an acquired taste but I acquired it. The bonus material is brilliant.

It’s a bit like the Aquarius stuff - almost subdued. I like focused Doors. Fewer screams and Dead Cats, Dead Rats improvs.

Where is this from? In any event, it seems that there is no good reason to crop the image other than a predetermination that that this release had to be in widescreen. Hiss and boo. No need at all.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Matthew Tate and Soundslave like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.