The 1 Song That Ruins An Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dominick, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Noel Reddings songs on Axis Bold as Love and Electic Ladyland.

Mook likes this.
  2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I disagree -- I really like "She So Fine" (has a great instrumental break).

Old Rusty and rockerreds like this.
  3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Doesn't ruin the album, but it certainly ruins the end of it... which was also the end of the greatest recording band in history (IMO):

"Her Majesty"

Should have stayed on the cutting room floor, where it once resided... and belonged.

Galaga King and oboogie like this.
  4. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Indeed, he's arguably the greatest dog performer in rock. Doesn't he also appear on the Small Faces' "The Universal"?

5. INSW

INSW Senior Member

This is some thread.

6. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yes.....that's also Seamus. The greatest dog in rock history.

7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Interesting comment on the lyrics. There is definitely a 'let's be shocking' aspect there.

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

"Sloop John B" was not Brian's original idea. Capitol felt Pet Sounds had no hits and was so strange for the Beach Boys (at least to the label's Surfer Girl hit machine mentality), that they insisted Brian include it in Pet Sounds. So Brian, instead of placing the track upfront, track one/side one, as was the norm for radio hit placement on an LP, he stuck it in near the end of side one. And then, to further break the standard norm, placed a short instrumental right after to further bury it to end side one.

I agree that it doesn't fit with Brian's vision and genius concept for Pet Sounds, but that big hit gave The Beach Boys new respect...they had been chiefly & rightly associated with rather lite surfer girl, and California fun in the sun music. With "Sloop John B" they gained new respect and were viewed now as a band with balls and depth in their rep. As far as hits, it was pretty monumental for the BB. ...it opened the door for what is considered by many as the greatest single of all time....Good Vibrations!

Imagine if "Good Vibrations", which was in the works in studio sessions, had been ready for inclusion in Pet Sounds--giving a very uplifting coda to the wonder that Pet Sounds was and is. When I put together my playlist I include Good Vibrations as the ending song for Pet Sounds...it still wows me!

:tiphat:

john lennonist likes this.
  9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

"Muskrat Love" from America's Hat Trick is my least favorite America tune....ever. A silly little ditty.
    It is so grating t omy ears that I skip it when playing the vinyl and have deleted it from my iTunes play list and flash drive set for the car!

10. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

very hard to understand for me - I have always liked this song and I think it sets the mood perfectly for what is to come on this extraordinary album

11. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

Police & Thieves. It goes on far too long, and completely kills any momentum on The Clash.

12. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

See, I actually like those songs. And when Jeremy Bender is combined with The Sheriff live, it’s great!

Beeb Fader and Pete Puma like this.
  13. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Yeah, I’m not really offended by much, and even anti-religion songs I’m fine with, but it just isn’t done very cleverly or tactfully imo.

jamiesjamies and Beeb Fader like this.
  14. Timeaisis

Timeaisis Forum Resident

I hate "Star Star" from GHS.

thematinggame likes this.
  15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The side-long 'Elegy' on Chicago III (or to give it its full title 'Elegy - i) When All The Laughter Dies In Sorrow, ii) Canon, iii) Once Upon A Time...., iv) Progress?, v) The Approaching Storm, vi) Man Vs. Man (The End)') has prevented me from playing the entire album as much as the other 11 Chicago studio albums I own.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A lot of the songs that I see here don't "ruin" the album that they're one, they're just songs that I don't like that happen to be on great album. Revolver is a great album even though I hate Yellow Submarine.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Just because it was a monster hit doesn't mean I have to listen to it. :)

18. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

Interestingly, it's not even an America song. Written by Willis Alan Ramsey and appearing on his (brilliant) one and only 1972 album, it's vibe is completely different from America's version, much bluesier with a lot more depth and yearning. Fun fact: Leon Russel plays vibraphone.

19. Ghost Of Miles

Ghost Of Miles Forum Resident

I don't know that it ruins it, but Joni Mitchell's cover of "Twisted" always jars me at the end of Court And Spark. Not that it's bad, necessarily, it just sounds so out of place compared to everything that's come before...almost as if it were an outtake tacked on as a bonus track for a CD reissue.

EDIT: I see that the same case was stated more comprehensively upstream in the thread. Completely agree!

auralden likes this.
  20. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I like the song and the lyrics.
    Lake's thoughts on Christian dogma and a call for critical thinking.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  21. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I disagree with the entire “Sloop John B doesn’t belong” argument. Just because Capitol wanted it included doesn’t mean Brian didn’t go to the trouble of making it flow in the upward key progressions that run throughout *and* making it fit thematically by titling the following song “Let’s Go Away For Awhile”. It’s the journey part of the album and works perfectly!

As to Good Vibrations - I don’t feel it fits in either album. Neither album is thematically very ‘happy’. But, GV is pure joy.

And now, so I’m not completely OT, Brian’s decision to interrupt the flow of earlier albums with filler like Big Daddy, Sonny Love vs Cassius Wilson & I’m Bugged By My Old Man is perplexing and maddening.

BTW - I love Revolution #9 & anyone who mentioned that one here - opinions be damned, - you’re just wrong.

lemonade kid likes this.
  22. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is better suited on 'With The Beatles'

lemonade kid likes this.
  23. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

He was even covered later by Mademoiselle Nobs. Seamus is an excellent song though and doesn't ruin the record at all. I love it when the Floyd goes silly.

thematinggame likes this.
  24. John54

John54 Senior Member

I generally skip Marley Purt Drive off Odessa and My Thing off Cucumber Castle, both LPs by the Bee Gees.

Anthem at the end of Millennium's Begin is just noise, so I always skip it.

I am the Resurrection is not up to the same quality as the rest of The Stone Roses so I sometimes just take the CD out before it plays.

25. Ebony and Ivory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.