RIP Pat DiNizio of The Smithereens

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OldJohnRobertson, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

To be clear, I don't admire anybody because they make a lot of money. My thinking was more in terms of hoping Pat didn't live a life of financial stress. Something I don't wish on anybody, and particularly people who contribute more positive than negative on planet earth. I wouldn't starve for my art, nor would I want anybody to.

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I can’t understand WHY at least Especially For You and Green Thoughts have NOT been remastered for vinyl by now? I did remember picking up a cd remaster of Green Thoughts as an import -maybe Cherry Red the label? I would like to know if the band members own the rights to those albums or still Capital owns those rights.If Capital owns those rights someone should light a fire under their ass to get them remastered and reissued for the vinyl market pronto!

squittolo, No Bull and mrdon like this.
  3. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I see some decent vinyl options for used copies on Amazon of "Green Thoughts".
    Does it need a remaster? Or wouldn't it be nice just be able to buy new copies of the originals, call them remasters for copyright purposes.

All my Smithereens is on CD and Cassette outside of my original Vinyl of "Especially for you",
    which I played the other day, it's seen better days, but still enjoyable.
    I think I do have CD copies of all the albums of original material and at least one compilation.
    I wish there had been more original material between "God save" and "2011", was thrilled when the latter came out, but I never listened much to it, need to dig it out and revisit. I was kind of bummed they changed bass players, but the new guy is cool.

squittolo and No Bull like this.
  4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love 2011.......very underrated album. I think it's right about up there with the first 3 albums. (Not that Date and God Save don't have some great songs as well)

"Sorry" should've been a hit, but never heard it on the radio outside of Little Steven's Underground Garage.

5. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I love Pats low Beatnik baritone on the band's original material, but I don't want to hear him do whole albums of covers which were original undisputed masterpieces, and fully conclusive statements. Cool if you thought "Tommy" and "Meet the Beatles" needed a low baritone vocal.
    I like them when they did a live cover or two, but just don't get them doing entire albums of covers.
    The time would of been so much better spent on original material. I guess Pat liked playing the music of his hero's. 2011 on the agenda.

6. LandHorses

Pat mentioned a new Smithereens album of original material since 2016. I don't know if anything got recorded for a posthumous-type release.

7. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

11 and the debut album were my absolute favorites, but many other great tracks through the years. Those albums were just dripping with pop gems, and the deeper the cuts, the better, stuff like "Cut Flowers" and "I Don't Want to Lose You" and "Alone at Midnight."

One of the best shows I ever saw was the Smithereens in a small club in Seattle, serious ear-ringing volume, exhilarating.

Damn, this is really, really unexpected and sad news. RIP. :shake:

Hep Alien, squittolo, BDC and 3 others like this.
  8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

That would be awesome. I'm cool with a Dennis lead vocal or 3 if Pat didn't do enough for a complete album.. At my only Smithereens show Dennis sang some songs for the encore, as I remember.Would of rather it was Pat, but Dennis kept the party going. Long time ago now.. I like the band as a whole, and I think Pat is great in that context... Though the recent turn of events dictates I explore solo Pat as well, which I have not.

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Damn I think I may have been AT that same show, but can't recall for sure the venue, though it had to be, 1994 works, that was my final year living up in Federal Way. It was a great show, no? I don't recall the altercation even though we were up close, too, and sorry about your date (definitely wasn't me who threw the punch!). I just remember the band was great, and LOUD, my ears were ringing. Also recall there seemed to be some kind of bad feelings going on between Pat and Jim Babjak, they were glaring at each other and shaking heads all night.

squittolo, No Bull and BDC like this.
  10. 12Toes

12Toes Forum Resident

On Sunday Night Football, they played "A Girl Like You" going into a commercial.

Pat has a fan in the production booth.

11. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Checking out their albums in chronological order (because that's how I am), as this is a band I had meant to check out bur never get around to until now.

highway chile, squittolo and No Bull like this.
  12. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I think I bought the "Date with the Smithereens" Cassette at the gig, but I can't remember 100%.
    I don't remember bad vibes between Pat and Jim, but beer and other ongoings may have affected my memory. It was a great show, do you remember Dennis doing some tunes for the encore? I can't even remember if Pat was on stage for those tunes.

squittolo and DrJ like this.
  13. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have seen the Smithereens many times over the last 20 years or so, but I noticed that Pat was looking very unhealthy that last time I saw them. That's a shame, they were a great band. I can't see them going on without Pat.

14. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Dug up my stub......Show was July 29th 1994 at Under the rail

squittolo and DrJ like this.
  15. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Yeah I caught that as well and mentioned it to my wife.....someone paying a little tribute to him.

squittolo and Aggie87 like this.
  16. LandHorses

17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Boy.. I would love one more Smithereens album. However, I don't hold out much hope that there is anything in the can. Reading some of these posts.. Pat could not play guitar and therefore according to him could not write any songs. Hope I am wrong though...

krock2009 and squittolo like this.
  18. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Pat had songs, the Smithereens had been planning an album for years but were waiting for the right time to do it. There may be demos but sadly there were no studio sessions yet.

NJ tribute show appears to have sold out in a minute. I would love them to take it on the road.

keyXVII, krock2009, Hep Alien and 4 others like this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Wow. I though Pat could not write songs because he could not play guitar. I would be happy if they could use Pro Tools to Frankenstein some demo vocals to be Smithereen backing tracks... but I know it is unlikely.

krock2009 and squittolo like this.
  20. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Sorry I missed this. Would have gladly flown in for the show. Maybe, I'll still try.

squittolo likes this.
  21. putz

putz Forum Resident

Hep Alien and squittolo like this.
  22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

That was only the case over the past year or so. There's been six years since the last album and my impression was that Pat had a bunch of songs brewing that he could finish when the time came to record.

No Bull and squittolo like this.
  23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Sure hope that Pat's tribute show gets filmed and circulated...
    I have a Jersey connection in that I lived there for a couple years 78/79-80.
    The most important years in developing my musical taste age 13-15.
    Springsteen was god in Jersey and wasn't near as nationwide then.
    Jersey had a deep rock culture, and it was school classmates and an art teacher there, which were big in inspiring me to play guitar. I do to this day. Concert shirts were almost like a uniform in the Jersey school hallways in those days. I was behind the curve, my parents wouldn't let me go to concerts until I was like 16!

My introduction to the Smithereens came from hearing a bar band in Tacoma playing a cover of "Blood and roses". The song stuck in my head, and soon enough I found the real thing. I can remember "Only a memory" played on MTV back in the day. 107.7 the End out of Seattle used to play Smithereens tunes. It was so cool that the retro of the Smithereens at the time kind of fit in with alt rock. They used to play "Girl in room 12" quite a bit among others.

24. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Hello again~

I completely had forgotten to say what a super killer-diller group they are.
    Such a great output of work, and a wonderful live fun band too. Coolness.
    They are truly my fave band from New Jersey. Yep, that is what I'm saying.. Bruce & co.'s got nothing on Pat and the gang.

My condolences to Family, Friends, and Fans worldwide.

25. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Vaguely yes. Seems like there was a Beach Boys tune in there but maybe faulty memory.

krock2009, squittolo and BDC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.