Magneplanar Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JMCIII, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

This is completely wrong, and a bad analogy.

The same sound is radiated to the back as to the front - but why believe me? Ask Magnepan.

2. RhodesSupremacy

RhodesSupremacy Forum Resident

Yes, but out of phase. For the motion to cancel out you would need two radiators moving in opposite directions.
    Feel free to ask Magnepan whether their speakers are dipoles or bipoles. Big difference!

This is basic.

Davey likes this.
  3. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

think about it... one pressure wave goes one way & the other one goes the other way

out of phase is not at the speaker itself

if you don't believe me or Magnepan, just aim your laser interferometry setup at the frame while playing

4. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Oh, and (2) subwoofers, don't forget the subs!

6. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

how about a proximity sensor for the cats - when they get too close, it plays something loud on the speaker...

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Have any of you compared Magneplanar models to Martin Logan or Quad speakers?

Scott

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I don't care for the sound of the Martin Logan speakers. At all. They lack the imaging of Magnepan's speakers, and always sound somewhat shrill to me. They're also expensive as heck.

9. WillytheWoofer

WillytheWoofer Forum Resident

Yes, generally, several models.
    Martin Logan: It's difficult to get the same sound colour from the electrostatic part and the woofer.
    Quad: Not worth the money.
    Magnepan 3-series: Find a good used pair. They will outperform a lot of speakers.

10. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I own Quads. It's a totally different experience from Magnepans. I like Magnepans, but it's not the same thing.

11. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

I have MMGs in a room that is perfect for them. They sound great, the cat doesn't bother them. Outlaw amps here too. Vintage Harmon-Kardon pre-amp.

12. FLEMKE

FLEMKE Senior Member

Have you heard modded Magnepans? It's a huge difference in the fine detail and realism. You can't read about it, you simply have to hear them for yourself.

Tim

13. WillytheWoofer

The above mentioned speakers have already a very high level. The match with the room, the amp, etc. is very important.
    An electrostatic speaker can let hear more detail than a magnetostatic, but is it stil a natural sound?

14. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

Yep! Maggie 3.7's very nice, my buddy drug them over and they Loved the big SAE's 500 watts. I just couldn't get past the poor imaging in my room, 16' x 26', concrete slab with berber carpet, built in 1947, 1' thick adobe walls, drop ceiling to hide the AC ductwork, very nice sounding room. Wood wainscoting 3' up all around, two windows draped lightly behind each speaker. We tried tilt, toe in, just could not produce a sound stage even close to the ML Summit's.

I'm talking 3' from the back wall into the room, at least 10' from the side walls. To be fair, the Maggies were a different sound, smoooooth, the highs didn't match the mids and the bass was just pretty weak to my ears, the Summit's have dual 200watt powered 10" cone woofers so that might not be fair. :shrug:

And am I correct in stating that Maggies are plannar's? When you get away from cones and into esoteric drivers like dipoles, planners, ribbons and electrostats it's a whole new ball game, you are including the room, the amp, and yes...even cables into the mix :nyah:. Enter at your own risk, it's not cheap, but it sure as hell is fun :bdance:Ooops, I forgot about Quads, never heard them in my current room and gear, I would have to say because the bass is from the panel, it is a personal 'no-go' for me, no ooomph! Some like the sound with certain types of music, that's fine, go for it!!

Back to the Maggies, the 3.7's had a very convincing mid range, one of the finest I've ever heard if you were seated in the 'sweet spot', It didn't impress me in the walk into the sound stage test. well worth the money being asked for them :righton:

Being made in Minnesota is a deal breaker for me :ignore:

15. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Maggies are planars for the bass; ribbons for the tweeter - they are unaffected by cables as they are a nearly pure resistive load

the amp needs good current delivery into 4 ohms and that's all

dipole radiators interact differently with rooms than cones - dunno if I'd say it was more important

16. WillytheWoofer

Generally;
    1 Let take measurements in the listening room to find the best place for whatever speakers you buy. Even you wil find out if the speakers are possible to make good sound in your room.
    2 Find a good match with amplifiers. Listen what a valve pre amp (different valves) does.

If you don't, you can't give a good opinion/advice.
    Compare it with a good car that has bad wheels. "what a bad driving car" people wil say. Wrong, you can't test the car that way.

Finally: combine measurements with your listening. That's my conclusion after 40 years hifi.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    JMCIII likes this.
  17. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second. Thread Starter

If I were to "mod" my Maggie's, it would be in ways that don't void my warranty, like replacing those metal jumpers with ones made from real speaker wire. Maybe the replacing the fuse as well. And finally, upgrading to better, sturdier stands. Better sond, warranty still intact. But that's just me.

Bill likes this.
  18. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second. Thread Starter

True. Speaker placement, especially with Maggie's, is critical. I've tried many methods, but the one that consistently works is the Cardas method I put a link in about above. when I followed that to the millimeter, my 1.7i's just opened up. I even got better bass out of them.

19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, I have compared various Magnepan models extensively with Quad and Apogee (never owned Martin Logan) in my own room with my own system.
    Since this is a Magnepan thread and I don't want to start a flame war, if you are interested in my comparison, please send me a PM.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.