Essential heavy metal albums by essential heavy metal artists

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Emospence, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

No, I don't think it gets lost at all. I grew up with Priest and am 56 years old. The height is Stained Glass and I don't put that anywhere near heavy metal. I also believe that Halford's Live Insurrection is more metal than almost anything he did in Priest. That only one being Unleashed in the East. Iron Maiden is metal. Priest is rock. Just a different opinion....

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Respectfully disagree. Stuff like Screaming for Vengeance is very much heavy metal (though in a decidedly commercial vein). Their stuff from 82 to present is definitely metal. British Steel is a mixture. Before 79, I could see an argument made for hard rock, but most point at Sad Wings as a tr00 metal album, so ...

I guess it’s what the listener considers it to be. Sub genre classification and arguing over ‘what’s metal and what’s not’ is for the birds. Good day, sir :)

3. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Again, I don't have to pick and chose through catalogs like Maiden, Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Overkill, Pantera, Slayer, Anthrax or Testament... etc to find their heavy metal. To each his own my friend...........:D And after re- reading your post you are saying Priest was more metal, than rock, after Point of Entry than before? Is that including the Ripper stuff? Because I don't mind it but don't consider that Priest. Oh yea, I love Nostradamus, but don't consider that anywhere near metal........respectfully of course.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I don't know exactly how new to Hard Rock/ Metal you are but if I had never heard these albums I would find it confusing to listen with that format, a few of the top rated of four decades. I think it would be better to proceed chronologically and as that would be starting in the 1970s include those bands which cause some...mild discussion :laugh: . Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rush, AC/DC, Motorhead. Get the foundation/ understanding in place before moving on to the 1980s and the the vast expansion in many directions that took place.

Hermes, Emospence, tkl7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

No arguments here about “Stained Class,” which is in my top 3 Priest albums of all time. The number one slot, of which, will always be safely occupied by the untouchable “Painkiller.”

So, now, I have to ask: do you consider Painkiller “metal?”

Pouchkine, RelayerNJ and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I respect your opinion. But I just can't see a Priest fan that puts Painkiller above Stained Glass, Sad Wings, Sin After Sin or Screaming For Vengeance. That is not including what I consider the more commercial British Steel or Hell Bent For Leather. Both, are better for me than Painkiller. Also, I enjoy Redeemer of Souls more also. But that is OK, it's your opinion. I just don't agree with it.

As far as Painkiller, they certainly were striving for a new direction into metal. Which is of course making my point on this thread. I don't think they found it. The lyrics are unimpressive, though I am not beholden to them in my music enjoyment. I like Touch of Evil, Painkiller and One Shot at Glory. Leather Rebel, All Guns Are Blazing and Metal Breakdown are not favorites. I really think here what people hear is a more pronounced drum sound than maybe any other Priest album due to the addition of Scott Travis.

To answer your question.........no. I think they made a bigger statement on Nostradamus than the diversion into what other bands were doing during the period. Not trying to be argumentative, I just have been a fan of theirs from the get go. I do not think they are a metal band.

7. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

From reading your prior posts, I would never think you were being argumentative for its own sake, and I do respect your opinion.

That being said, putting aside our differences on all other Priest albums save Painkiller, I simply do not understand how anyone can listen to even the first 30 seconds of the album and categorize it as rock and not metal.

But since we cannot even agree on what I believe to be a fundamental premise of Painkiller, I fear we shall never be able to have a proper discussion concerning any of Priest’s albums. Especially considering Rob himself stated, “Yeah, I think there was a determined effort on our part, when we were writing the album in the south of France, to make the strongest, fiercest metal record that we could make.“

Source: ROB HALFORD Talks New Album, Painkiller And Speed Metal - “JUDAS PRIEST Is Kind Of Like The Big Eye Of Sauron From The Lord Of The Rings”

GodShifter and RelayerNJ like this.
  8. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Do you know how many times I have heard classic rock period bands and their fans say this album is a return to__X__ period of ours? Do you know how many times I have seen that threshold met? Very few. Halford says the same thing about Painkiller. It might have been a "determined effort", but they did not reach it as far as I'm concerned. Painkiller, the song, does sound like thrash or speed metal. All n all, as an album, the rest falls short. I thought we were having a rational discussion and it did not turn into any name calling here. I just don't agree and that is OK. Nice chatting with you respectfully.........

9. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

[​IMG] Nugent's 1st album
    [​IMG] Van Halen's 1st album
    [​IMG] Metallica's 1st ...........:edthumbs:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Of course we are rational and not name-calling one another; that simply isn’t what we do.

But if we fail to agree that Painkiller - as a whole - is a metal album, it is impossible to engage in a meeting of the minds since we can’t even agree on what I believe to be a fundamental premise. Because trying to change our minds on the issue will be a Sisyphean endeavor at best :)

I’m sure we can/will debate other things in the future, though!

Todd W. likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I can't believe there are people (not trolls) posting on a music forum that don't know that Judas Priest is a metal band.

Ivand, Pouchkine, neo123 and 7 others like this.
  12. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Trying to draw a clear and consistent dividing line between hard rock and heavy metal will always be a tad problematic.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Painkiller rules. Total metal.

14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I've been trying to figure out if Death and Obituary are still metal since there's now heavier stuff out there.

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yacht Rock.

16. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Death’s first three albums are death metal, their next two after those are proggish death metal, and their last album is just a masterpiece I’d simply label metal. :)

Obituary is just straight up Floridian death metal. I’m a huge fan of “Cause of Death.”

Synthfreek likes this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

*enters thread

*sees most posts are about what is heavy metal and what isn't

*leaves thread

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

In all fairness my mention above is making fun of the people doing that.

19. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Warlock - “Hellbound”

20. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

In the context of this particular thread, it's also arguably very thread-crappy.

eric777 likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

Probably the only rational response!

BluesOvertookMe and GodShifter like this.
  22. dkmonroe

Yachts are pretty damn heavy.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  23. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Diamond Head's Lightning to the Nations deserves a mention (just heard it for the first time the other day).

Classic late 70s NWOBHM album that influenced a plethora of bands, including Metallica, for example.

The Hud and Cooks420 like this.
  24. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Denim and Leather

Brought Us All Together.

stay crunchy likes this.
  25. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

Megadeth - Rust In Peace

/close thread

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.