Beatles (Christmas 2017 releases)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Nov 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I ordered it, but thought better of it and cancelled. I have too much stuff as it is and I'm still reeling with disappointment over the careless remastering Of Pepper 50th. I understand the appeal of this new Christmas release especially to the hipsters who are exploring and enjoying the resurgence of vinyl. I wonder though; If the set is limited to 20,000 copies, why weren't they individually numbered so that they'd be even more special?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Sgt Pepper

Sgt Pepper Forum Resident

Unfortunately they seem to have sold out everywhere in the UK.:cry:

Man at C&A likes this.
  3. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

Because if it was popular enough, they could press more and say the first RUN was limited to 20,000 copies.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

I'm still waiting for mine!

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

10,000 on the Xmas singles box. Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc, and Soundstage Direct have already sold out on it.

Bullmoose has limited copies, but only selling it in store. Newbury Comics is inexplicably selling it for $100. Amazon is selling it at retail, which is $73.

fishcane likes this.
  6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Possibly later pressings could be on black vinyl; that sort of thing has been done before.

7. AnalogJ

Again, it's officially 10,000 for this release. I don't think they're going to do another Christmas release in April.

helter likes this.
  8. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

They had one copy in Fopp Cambridge Circus, London, last Friday...£70.....

Man at C&A and Sgt Pepper like this.
  9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Where did you get that number?

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I believe someone claimed that was the number (it may have been mentioned on the Bullmoose site initially), but then it was verified that it was NOT correct (although no other number was provided).

11. AnalogJ

It wasn't just the Bullmoose site, although I saw it there. I think I also saw it on the Elusive Disc site. I saw it on at least 3 different sites. They could have been posting from the same bit of misinformation, or they could have been posting it accurately.

Is there any source that officially disputes that number?

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I think it was previously mentioned within this thread. BUT I'm afraid to re-read 1200 posts...

AnalogJ likes this.
  13. vegard martinsen

vegard martinsen Forum Resident

With all due respect: you must be a very eccentric person!

autumn daze and johnnybrum like this.
  14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

We know from the mastering engineer that there was one digital master done for the blu ray, and it was then dithered to lessor formats. DR will be exactly the same for all digital Pepper 50's.

The vinyl mastering took a different path and was not as limited as the digital versions.

15. jsternbe

jsternbe Senior Member

The Goons invented it (or at least developed the style). The Beatles were huge fans of the Goons. George Martin produced the Goons on their records, which was one of the reasons why the Beatles were able to bond with him. The folks who were later to be Pythons were also fans of the Goons. Later, the Beatles also became fans of the Bonzo Dog Band and put them in MMT. Near the same time, they became the house band for "Do Not Adjust Your Set", which involved all of the Pythons except for Cleese and Chapman (who doing "At Last the 1948 Show"). They all became friends, and there was quite a bit of George Harrison involvement in later Python and solo Python projects.

16. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I finally got to open my package from Amazon this morning (I was in the hospital when it arrived Friday). I haven't played any of the discs yest, but I love this set. :)

17. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

paolo, Dee Zee, Yayastone and 4 others like this.
  18. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I’m waiting for the critism over the choice of color for the discs.

“Why didn’t they choose brown for one of the discs? I love the color brown! Why does Apple hate me?”

19. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I am hoping to receive it as a Christmas gift, so thank you for your patience while you wait for me to nitpick it into oblivion in a week or so.

paulmccartneyistheman and jlf like this.
  20. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I hope I get one from Deep Discount. Now they are showing backordered :(

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Mine hasn't arrived yet.

Jimijam likes this.
  22. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Hoping to find the Christmas box under the tree in a week. In the meantime, thanks for the reviews and pictures. Out of curiosity...Is the text on the box a shiny silver or just grey printed on there?

23. WilloWinsbury

WilloWinsbury Active Member

Anyone tried to play the B sides on the early discs yet ( they change to double sided in 68) ?

24. helter

helter Forum Resident

Thanks for bringing some life into this thread after my post!
    My box will be given to me for Christmas so I can’t comment yet.
    This is an historic release ..I’ve waited my entire life for this one!
    It’s nice to have something new finally in their official canon.

My Beatles history goes something like this

Revolver American vinyl
    Revolver British vinyl
    Revolver stereo CD
    Revolver mono CD
    Revolver remaster stereo CD
    Revolver vinyl mono

Boring ........

At least the Christmas messages are a new release unless you happened to be an original fan club member going back to 1963.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

The Pepper 50th may be many things, subjectively good or bad according to personal taste, but one thing it is not is careless. Read the Sound on Sound magazine interview with Giles Martin and Sam O'Kell, and look at the accompanying charts to understand how much meticulous effort went into the remix, remaster and production of this.

mrjinks, drum_cas, helter and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.