Waiting for the Sun & The Soft Parade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought perhaps we would talk a bit about The Doors' two middle records - Waiting for the Sun, released in July 1968, and The Soft Parade, released in July 1969. Both albums occupy awkward spaces in the band's discography: Waiting for the Sun stands in the shadow of the group's amazing, groundbreaking debut and just as amazing second album; and The Soft Parade is not only a radical departure in sound both for The Doors but also for 1969, but sits right next to what is considered one of the greatest rock records in history, 1970's Morrison Hotel. Both albums are as such overlooked when discussions of this wonderful and mystical L.A. act arise.

The Doors (1967), Strange Days (1967), Morrison Hotel (1970) and L.A. Woman (1971) have all I am sure been discussed to death. Let's discuss the band's middle track.

What do you feel about these two albums? Should we do a song by song thread of each next?

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

They are the two weaker albums but they contain some superb songs.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Nothing weak about WftS

4. Miriam

Miriam Forum Resident

Waiting for the Sun is perfect.

RAZORMADE, blaken123, Terry and 29 others like this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer Soft Parade.

Humbuster, Marvin, giantleech and 4 others like this.
  7. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

Rather fond of Waiting For The Sun. A number of songs that would make Doors playlist.

8. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

side one of WFTS is awesome

9. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

As with everything else in life, I guess The Doors' popular albums are open to interpretation. While I like select songs on Waiting For The Sun and Morrison Hotel, I thought they were both pretty weak albums overall -- especially compared to their first two albums. But I love The Soft Parade, and not just for the number of songs (six out of nine), but also the studio production (bass-centric + horns). I even rank this album ahead of L.A. Woman. "Tell All The People", "Touch Me", "Do It", "Wild Child", "Runnin' Blue" and "Wishful Sinful" -- what's not to love about that???

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  10. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Man, I love Soft Parade. Just having Shaman's Blues, The Soft Parade and Wild Child makes this a fine record. I feel 1 or 2 more songs (to replace the weaker cuts) with the strength of the aforementioned tracks could have made this their best record.

perplexed, jsayers, Revolver and 4 others like this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I personally like Waiting for the Sun and The Soft Parade better than the first two Doors albums.

12. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I vastly prefer both over "Morrison Hotel".

Regards

JuanTCB, GrayMouser, Doug_B and 8 others like this.
  13. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Love, i mean LOVE both of these albums.

RAZORMADE, Revolver, Folknik and 5 others like this.
  14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I never really listened to Soft Parade much. Then the new singles collection came out with a bunch of those songs so I revisited it and started to really dig it. I just came into possession of an RL copy in great condition this week and now I'm in love. Compared to their albums I know so well it's like I have a new Doors album to spin. It's consistently great the whole way through.

Waiting for the Sun is the last one, I haven't quite cracked that one yet.

15. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I like both of them , Waiting for the sun is my favourite Doors album next to Morrison Hotel

bruce2 likes this.
  16. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

YOU CANNOT PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER!

That is all I can add to this discussion. :p

17. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

I thought on all doors albums side one was much better than side 2 (except the 27 minute soft parade) every song on soft parade was released as a single except the title track I think

Mike Reynolds likes this.
  18. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Love both of them.

19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I love TSF and like WFTS.

I wish TSF had the single mixes of Touch Me and Wishful Sinful with centered rhythm sections, as well as having a centered rhythm stereo on all tracks and the version of Tell All The People reflecting the mono promo mix, with Robby's lead guitar coming in earlier after the solo and with a much shorter fade. It drags on the LP (although is even longer on the stereo 45).

With a bit more power in the mix (i.e. with the centered rhythm section) I think TSF would come across as a more focussed, powerful album. The wild variations in mixing only highlights the breadth of material, which does make it seem a bit disjointed...

...but I still love it. Nice gatefold on the LP too.

20. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

tSP may have been an answer to Love's 'Forever Changes' and could have
    been influenced by Blood, Sweat & Tears first AFA the horn section. As I have
    discovered over time, a lot of bands tried horns.

Then again, if I were looking at jail time for my "Art," it would have messed up
    the creative process. Production jumps in to fill the void?

Every Doors LP had that hit single.

driverdrummer likes this.
  21. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

TSF???? The Steve (Hoffman) Forum???

You meant TSP.

TheMovieRad and Six Bachelors like this.
  22. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

I love both these albums, as i do every Doors album. I personally have never heard a single Doors studio track i didn't like.

23. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

The Soft Parade was one of those albums that I played a lot when I was a kid. My brother had most of the Doors albums on vinyl but I played TSP the most. Wild Child and Wishful Sinful are probably my favorite tracks off the album. I don’t find the album weak at all.
    I met John Densmore a few years ago and he signed my Waiting For The Sun LP.

24. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It’s late...I’m tired...yes.

Although I would like to hear this forum with a centered rhythm section.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Soft Parade is my favorite Doors album, but I understand I might be deranged in this regard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.