Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is there a mono version of Afterglow that’s not sped up? I hate the sped up version but love that it isn’t cut off the way the Ogden’s version is. Want to find one that’s proper speed.

2. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It was on the Here Come The Nice box set. Another highlight of that box.

3. chacha

How is the sound of that set?

noahjld likes this.
  4. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Like they're in the room with you. Superb set,just superb.

5. chacha

mikmcmee and Hep Alien like this.
  6. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

7. chacha

Cool. I have an original Autumn Stone LP from 1970.

8. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Aaah, I getcha. My mistake, sorry.

Unfortunately the proposed 3LP vs 3-4CD configuration of Autumn Stone suggests they're pulling a fast one there with regard to exclusive content (to the possible disadvantage of buyers of the LP version), so I wouldn't put such a thing past them.

But of course until there are tracklists we don't know anything for certain...
    :waiting:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  9. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

10. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Its nothing short of excellent. If you can find one...GET IT!!! I have one of the original signed ones. When I met Mac a few months after I bought it, he asked if I got the COA that he doodled on. I really hated to break his spirits like that.

swedgin likes this.
  11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

I wonder if there'd be enough material for "Deluxe" reissues of Humble Pie's first two Immediate LPs.......probably not

12. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Listening to the Here Comes The Nice boxset today I'm hoping they fond some goodies that they decided to hold back for the Autumn Stone boxset whilst conducting the extensive search for tapes - a studio cut of If I Was A Carpenter would be great, and maybe they did other Tim Hardin covers like Hang On To A Dream, which I imagine they would have done great service to whilst giving it their own stamp

I would also be partial to some more newly created mixes like they did for the Here Comes The Nice box, where they emphasise certain instruments and drop others out - the compilers used it to great effect on the boxset so I'd love to hear more. Not too many tho, cos I'd really like to hear some newly discovered takes/demos/alternates

Hep Alien and Surferghost like this.
  14. Surferghost

That would be amazing, but if not I'd settle for a DJ-free version of the BBC Session, that's good enough in itself. As for more Hardin covers, wouldn't it be ironic if they'd covered Reason To Believe a few years before Rod Stewart had? My personal fantasy, though, is that they managed to lay down a storming studio version of their cover of "Long Black Veil" before splitting. But if they had, I'm sure we'd have heard it by now.
    I would be more than happy with that, too - I love those stripped-down remixes, even if some folks seem to consider them sacrilege. I'm certain there'll be a lot of instrumental takes of more familiar songs, but if they're of the calibre of those early heavy fuzz-groove instrumental takes of "I Can't Make It" (which I honestly prefer to the finished song), then I won't be complaining.

As for the Ogden's box, on the plus side, hopefully they'll at least try to correct the annoying stereo channel dropout on A Certain Track (I won't say which because until it was brought to my attention I hadn't actually noticed it, and now it's all I can hear at that point in that song). And who knows? Maybe they've even finally found that cover of "Be My Baby" that got left off the album.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. Surferghost

Over on the Groping With A Stoker facebook group, the moderator/host has just mentioned a 'new' Marriott album coming out next year, that includes (and I quote) "4 new discovered SMALL FACES songs... NEW TITLES never released". No further details yet unfortunately, but intriguing nonetheless. As he's been known to be rather over-enthusiastic in the past, though, I'll take it with a pinch of salt until I hear them for myself. 'New Titles' may only mean exactly that (see 'Wit Art Yer' and 'Bun In The Oven'), and whether they're actual 1960s vintage Small Faces performances remains unclear. But then 'newly-discovered' sounds a bit more promising (although I suppose it doesn't rule out the possibility they are from the late 70s reunion lineup, either). The fact that they aren't yet being mentioned in relation to Autumn Stone or the Ogden's box sounds less promising.

Time for my new favourite smiley again: :waiting:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  16. marmalade166

Sadly (like you) I'm thinking that if they're coming out on a Steve Marriott album, the 'new' Small Faces tunes will either be '70s remakes by him in or from the reunion :shrug:

noahjld and Surferghost like this.
  17. Surferghost

I suppose the best we can hope for is that he's jumped the gun with a juicy tidbit and the tracks are genuine and will also appear on the new Ogdens or Autumn Stone...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Rivière... Ouvre Ton Lit

19. marmalade166

Just posted by Rob Caiger on twitter, a page from the the issue of Shindig about the upcoming reissues - and sadly they don't sound that exciting to me :sigh:

[​IMG]

20. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Yuck Triple vinyl I'm out on the Ogdens anyway.

Can't make out but the autumn stone but that could be more interesting from the descriptions

marmalade166 and Mark Wilson like this.
  21. Surferghost

Hmm. Well that article (or what we can see of it) makes it all sound very unexciting. I'll get Autumn Stone anyway just for completeness' sake, but at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if 'Olympic Jam' just turns out to be 'Take My Time' under another name.

22. marmalade166

Yeah I'll be buying it as well but my excitement has been really tempered now - hopefully there'll be some decent notes :sigh:

23. Surferghost

Yes, I'm trying to beat my cynicism back down and I'm hoping the notes will be worth it too. If they go into anything like the amount of detail the book in the Nice box did, that might make it worthwhile. And on the basis of no news being good news I'm still holding out hope for the BBC session being there, but even allowing for the 'rare and unusual mixes' I still can't quite work out how they're going fill 3 CDs (the '4th' seems to have been quietly forgotten...) with Autumn Stone-era material (unless of course they're not 'filled', and barely stretch to 50 minutes per CD).
    The article makes it sound as if:
    CD1 - All the studio tracks that originally appeared on Autumn Stone (but 'new and improved')
    CD2 - ?
    CD3 - 'Autumn Leaves' (The Newcastle live tracks from AS, rare mixes, the 'new' instrumental)

Now, if CD1 and CD2 merely contain the Autumn Stone studio material that would give each CD a running time of less than 30 minutes, which just can't be right. If it were, it would be what my dad would have called "a right ****in' liberty", seeing as they'd all fit comfortably on a single CD. So I'm hoping that CD2 contains the BBC session and some alt mixes or remixes of the post-Ogdens material. And I'm also hoping that 'Olympic Jam' is truly something new. And if it's great, ten minutes long.

So it seems we're still not really any the wiser, without a finalised tracklist.

Whatever's on it though, I think by now I'm due a 20% discount on it in recognition of my mental anguish.

And I suppose, on the plus side, not having to fork out for yet another version of Ogden's means I'll have more cash to spend on the upcoming Ronnie Lane box (which I imagine is going to be very expensive and probably a limited run - I'm thinking like the recent big Alex Harvey box, which I still kick myself every day for missing out on).

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. marmalade166

Damn, there's a Ronne Lane boxset coming out?? Does it cover his entire career or just his solo years?

And i wonder if there was a mono Autumn Stone prepared and if that's going to be one of the discs...

Reading the snippet of the article again they seem to be talking about the vinyl press (side 1 of the third disc), and a triple LP will comfortably fit on 2 cds, has a 3 cd set been confirmed?

Hep Alien likes this.
  25. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I've never seen a band with such a small amount of material get so many reissues.