Iron Maiden Song By Song Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zoot Marimba, Nov 8, 2017.

1. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

"We shall go on to the end.
    We shall fight in France.
    We shall fight on the seas and oceans.
    We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air.
    We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be.
    We shall fight on the beaches.
    We shall fight on the landing grounds.
    We shall fight in the fields and in the streets.
    We shall fight in the hills.
    We shall never surrender!"

~Winston Churchill~

"Live After Death"
    , one of the best live-albums ever released. It's that and I feel that it justifiedly is on for the title and among the very best. It surely can't be overrated at all.
    Live After Death, live-album documenting the Powerslave's gigantic "World Slavery Tour" was my introduction to Maiden along with Piece Of Mind, so it has sort of special meaning for me anyways.
    I think this proved to be the point where they had constantly gotten a bit bigger, improved their sound and gained more popularity with each release, so as I they now got that really big.
    With the Egyptian style stage, the size of the whole stage, excellent showmanship and musicianship they surely somehow had to document this marvelous tour.
    It's still great thing to listen to this live-album after so many years and hundreds (if not even thousands of) spins, it rocks so much and give the full energy of their live-show.
    I think this is great package of songs and it presents kind of retrospective of their past work. All the songs are performed precisely and with great energy. You know what Im talking about if you've ever seen them live.
    Bruce's voice had been in real stress as some of the shows really suffered from it, remarkably he improved his voice later in his life. He also had some problems during the Seventh Son tour 1988.
    While the studio-versions of the song are in that sense perfect already, there's totally different kind of Beast (especially with Maiden) when they are performed in fron of live-audience.
    Even if Maiden has released many live-album, I feel that hopefully more concerts and tours will be documented in the coming years as not all the essential tours have been featured in audio or dvd at all yet.
    There must be more good stuff there in the vaults and they still haven't even released the whole Maiden Japan for example.

Ranking of the official live-albums is hard anyways, maybe it would be useful to rank them by decades etc? Somehow it feels weird and wrong to rank them. And I won't include any dvd etc.
    On top of that I got hundreds of shows in my collection, also the bootlegs and broadcast-recordings feature songs that weren't part of the released live-albums.
    As Maiden does change a song or 2 around during the very first few shows or have completely changed around for the differents legs of the same tour.

But I can try to rank them a bit for you here (these might change around, it's actually harder to rank the bottom albums), so this only for like guidance-list for the time being:

Live After Death
    Beast Over Hammersmith
    Rock In Rio
    Maiden England '88
    Flight 666
    Death On the Road
    BBC Archives
    En Vivo!
    The Book of Souls: Live Chapter
    Live At Donington
    A Real Live One / A Real Dead One

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Hey,@GodShifter you can't leave yet as there's plenty of good albums ahead. :cool:
    For example Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son are among the very best in their catalogue.

CBackley, Cheevyjames and Frosst like this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Some info from Dereg Riggs old website concerning the cover:
    [​IMG]
    This was the second version of this one. For the first version the manager wanted Eddie thrusting out of the grave straight at the viewer. I tried that and just as I said at the time, the dynamics completely didn't work. (I knew they wouldn't, it's what I do you know... but everyone and his brother thinks they know better...) The first one was painted in oils. Whenever I pained anything in oil paints the guys who photograph it can't get the shine from the lights off the picture so you get white areas and bit all over it. Which really is just incompetence. But this time it worked in my favor and I got to re-paint it in acryllics the way I wanted to (the only way the picture will work.) Hooray... somebody ****ing listened. On the far right, in the grass, those are magic mushrooms. They were growing all over London at the time because some hippies had seeded all the public parks with magic mushroom spores. So I stuck some in.

Here you can see the original version of the cover image, that was requested by Rod Smallwood:
    [​IMG]
    The image was also featured on the 1998 cd-edition (on the cd and and the innersleeve artwork behind the cd) as can be seen for example over at the discogs:
    Iron Maiden - Live After Death
    Little wider image available over here:
    https://maidenrevelations.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/lad-advert2_zpse2134ac9.jpg

You can still access Dereg Riggs old page (which has a bit of info) here:
    Wayback Machine

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

The final artwork is so far superior to the other one it isn't even funny.

5. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Indeed, luckily they got the correct cover for the album. Just for fun and trivia wanted to share that alternative cover here for you all.
    LAD is so detailed and also all the cool little things and messages are visible on the cover art. Definitely one of the best covers ever and you have to own and look at these on correct size. LP it must be! :cool:
    Things would get even more enthusiastic and ambitious as Somewhere In Time has so many hidden messages, so when @Musicman1998 starts that album here soon, someones got to list all the messages and meanings.
    I think wikipedia for example (or any worthwhile fan-site) should have all of them listed..

6. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Live After Death

I've been listening to Live After Death this morning and it's still such an absolute explosion of awesomeness. As I said in my intro for the thread, Live After Death was the album that got me into Maiden and the reason I got into metal and that grew into every other kind of music I listen to now. It was 7th Son where I got the spark to pick up a bass, but it was LAD that kicked the whole thing off. It's a really important album to me! I still love it as much as I can love anything. The band is on fire here, full of passion and intensity. I think Mariner is still my favorite track since it somehow even betters the studio version. That moment at the end of the middle section (then down in falls comes the rain) is THE moment of the song. Explosions! It's fantastic.

As of today, my Maiden Live Album Rankings (I haven't heard Book of Souls, Live Chapter yet so it's not included):

Live After Death
    Maiden England
    Reading 82
    The rest of the BBC set
    Maiden Japan
    Beast Over Hammersmith

Flight 666
    Rock in Rio
    Read Dead One
    Live at Donington
    En Vivo

Death on the Road
    Real Live One

7. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I didn't mention Maiden Japan on my list as it's not full recording that available on the official releases.
    It's surely one of their best live-albums (I have the full edition though).

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  8. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

Listen With Nicko, Part VII (Running Free Live/Run to the Hills Live):

9. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group Thread Starter

Somewhere in Time:
    [​IMG]
    Somewhere in Time is the sixth studio album by the English heavy metal band Iron Maiden, released on 29 September 1986 on EMI in Europe and its sister label Capitol Records in North America. (It was re-released by Sanctuary/Columbia Records in the US in 1998). The studio follow-up to the hugely successful Powerslave/Live After Death pair, it was their first album to feature guitar synthesisers.[6]
    Since its release, it has been certified platinum by the RIAA, having sold over one million copies in the US alone.[7]

Somewhere on Tour was the release's supporting tour.

Background, writing and recordingEdit

Somewhere in Time is the band's first studio effort following the extensive World Slavery Tourof 1984-85, which was physically draining for the group,[8] lasting 331 days and comprising 187 concerts.[9][10] The resulting exhaustion is credited as the main factor in the complete lack of songwriting contributions from lead vocalist Bruce Dickinson, whose material was rejected by the rest of the band.[11] Dickinson had written several "acoustic-based" songs, explaining that "I felt we had to come up with our Physical Graffiti or Led Zeppelin IV ... we had to get it onto another level or we'd stagnate and drift away," although bassist and primary writer Steve Harris "thought he'd lost the plot completely," surmising that "he was probably more burnt out than anyone at the end of that last tour."[11] On the other hand, the record is also notable for the number of "fully formed" songs written by guitarist Adrian Smith,[12] who wrote both of the album's singles: "Wasted Years" and "Stranger in a Strange Land", the former of which is the only song on the record not to feature synthesisers.[13]

Following the World Slavery Tour, the group were given four months to recuperate, with Harris, Smith and guitarist Dave Murrayspending the time experimenting with new equipment.[6] The result was a marked change in sound for Iron Maiden, as it was their first to use guitar synthesisers, although on their next release, 1988's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, the effects were provided by keyboards instead.[14] Given their time off, this was their first studio album not to be released a year after their previous one, the band insisting that they have more time "to get it right without hurrying for a change," comments Harris.[6] It was also one of their most expensive records, with the bass and drums recorded in the Bahamas, the guitars and vocals recorded in The Netherlands and the mixing taking place in New York.[6]

Although "space and time" are common themes throughout the release, with songs such as "Wasted Years", "Caught Somewhere in Time", "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "Deja-Vu", the band never intended for it to be a concept album, with Harris stating, "We certainly never went in there and said, 'Right let's write a load of songs on the subject of time.'"[15] While the majority of the release's songs have disappeared from the band's live shows shortly after its supporting tour, "Wasted Years" and "Heaven Can Wait" have appeared on several subsequent tours. Performances of "Heaven Can Wait" have featured groups of local fans and celebrities invited onstage to sing along during the song's middle section.[16]

The 2008 tribute CD Maiden Heaven: A Tribute to Iron Maiden, released by Kerrang! magazine, features covers of two of the album's songs; "Wasted Years" by DevilDriver and "Caught Somewhere in Time" by Madina Lake.[17]

Cover artworkEdit

The cover for Somewhere in Time, created by the band's then regular artist Derek Riggs, displays a cyborg-enhanced Eddie in a futuristic, Blade Runner-inspired environment.[18] Much like the cover of Powerslave, the wraparound album cover holds a plethora of references to earlier Iron Maiden albums and songs,[19] such as:

• The street sign on the corner where Eddie is standing reads Acacia (partially obscured), a reference to the song "22 Acacia Avenue" from The Number of the Beast (1982).[19]
    • Below "Acacia" is a poster of Eddie from the first album, with graffiti reading "Eddie lives" written on it.[19] Torn posters are also featured on the "Sanctuary" and "Women in Uniform" singles.
    • A banner with the words "This is a very boring painting" is displayed backwards within the lobby of the Bradbury Towers Hotels International. This can be seen to the left of Eddie's right leg.[20]
    • In the very centre, just above the "Department" sign and behind the cable going to the cyborg's weapon, there is a small vertical phrase in red neon, which reads "Меня Рвёт" [Menya Rvyot], Russian for "I'm vomiting" — or more literally, "it's tearing me up", depending on the context.
    • An Eye of Horus neon sign is at the top of a building, a reference to the song "Powerslave" from the 1984 album of the same name.[21]
    • To the right of Eddie's left leg there is a rubbish bin attached to a lamppost, identical to the one seen on the cover of the Iron Maiden album.[19]
    • The haloed black cat from the back cover of Live After Death (1985) is on the pavement behind Eddie.[21]
    • Below the Eye of Horus is the name, "Websters", a tribute to Charlie Webster, EMI's art director.[19]
    • Derek Riggs' artistic signature symbol can be found on Eddie's chest.
    References on the back include:

• A clock reading 23:58 ("2 Minutes to Midnight").[21]
    • Below the clock there is a sign which reads "Phantom Opera House", in reference to the song "Phantom of the Opera" from the first album.[19]
    • The words "Bollocks again & again" appear just below the "Phantom Opera House".
    • A building on the left side carries the sign, "Aces High Bar", a reference to the song of the same name.[21]
    • Flying over the "Aces High Bar" is a Spitfirefrom the "Aces High" cover.[21]
    • To the left of the "Aces High Bar" are four letters in yellow and green. These are Hebrew letters spelling out the name of God, namely יהוה, Jehovah/Yahweh.[19]
    • Below the "Aces High Bar", is a sign that reads "Sand Dune" in reference to their song "To Tame a Land," from Piece of Mind (1983), based on the novel Dune.
    • Many pyramids appear in the background, a reference to the Powerslave album.[21]
    • Among the pyramids is a grim reaper similar to that which appears on the covers of "The Trooper" and Live After Death.[21]
    • The marquee for the cinema reads Blade Runner, the film which inspired the album's cover.[18] It also reads "Live After Death", the name of their 1985 live album.[19]
    • The cinema is named "Philip K. DickCinema", named after the author of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the book on which the film Blade Runner was based.[21]
    • More Blade Runner references include "Dekkers Department Stores" and a "Tyrell Corp" sign.[21]
    • In the background, "Bradbury Towers" can be seen, a reference to the Bradbury Building which is prominent in Blade Runner.[19]
    • To the right of the clock is a neon sign which reads "Ancient Mariner Seafood Restaurant", a reference to the song "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" from the Powerslave album.
    • On the bottom left hand side of the cover is "The Ruskin Arms", famous for being one of the first venues in which Iron Maiden performed.[19]
    • On the second floor of the "Ruskin Arms" building is a woman sitting in a red lit room which, a reference to Charlotte the Harlot, a repeated character in the band's songs.[20]
    • Just above "The Ruskin Arms" is a neon sign that reads "Rainbow", another famous venue where Iron Maiden recorded a video in 1980.
    • Above and to the left of the "Rainbow" sign is a neon sign reading "L'Amours Beer Gardens", a reference to the "L'Amours" rock venue which Iron Maiden once played in Brooklyn, New York.[19]
    • On the roof of the same building is the TARDIS from the BBC TV series Doctor Who.[19] The TARDIS is also featured on the cover of the "Wasted Years" single.
    • Above the Bradbury Towers neon sign is Icarus in flames falling from the sky, in the same style of the cover for the band's 1983 single "Flight of Icarus".[19] According to Riggs, Icarus is supposed to look like the logo used by Swan Song Records, a label founded by Led Zeppelin.[22]
    • On the walkway above the clock is an electronic sign that says "LATEST RESULTS.......WEST HAM 7........ARSENAL 3", a nod to Steve Harris who is a West Ham United supporter.[19]
    • At the right edge below, just near the band, there is another sign in Russian – Кефир ("KEFIR"), which means "yoghurt".[19]
    • Just above the "KEFIR" sign is a street sign reading "Upton Park," which was the name of West Ham's former stadium.
    • There is a sign which reads "Tonight: Gypsy's Kiss", a reference to Harris' first band.[21]
    • On the right side, above the "Bradbury Towers" sign, is a sign in Japanese, "浅田 彰," which refers to a notable Japanese philosopher, economist and critic, Akira Asada.
    • To the right of the pyramids is a sign reading "Long Beach Arena," which is where most of the Live After Death live album was recorded.
    • The Syncom sign refers to the 1961 NASA program of the same name.
    • The neon sign above the band reads "Maggies Revenge" and refers to British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, who appears on the cover of the "Sanctuary" and "Women in Uniform" singles.
    • One of the buildings is labelled "Asimov Foundation", a reference to the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.[21]
    • A character wearing a large cloak stands above the walkway's right side, which Riggs claims is Batman.[20]
    • Above and slightly to the right of the cloaked character reads more Hebrew lettering, "ג'ין" (Gin, in English).
    • On the right side of the walkway and just above the "Latest Results" sign is the bracket that holds Eddie's skull together from the Piece of Mind album onwards, which Riggs drew as a cartouche.[20]
    • In the bottom right hand corner all five members of the band are standing in a line. Dickinson is holding a brain, a reference to Piece of Mind, and drummer Nicko McBrainis wearing aviator goggles (he had a pilot's license by this time, long before Dickinson) and a T-shirt that says "Iron What?". According to Riggs, the band complained because the pictures of themselves were not accurate enough.[21]
    • To the right of "Long Beach Arena" is a sign which reads "Hammerjacks", a night club and concert hall in Baltimore frequented by the band.[19]
    • Below Hammerjacks is a sign that reads "Tehe's Bar", which is where the choir vocals in the middle of "Heaven Can Wait" were recorded.[21]
    • To the left of the clock is a sign that reads "Herbert Ails", a reference to the author Frank Herbert who wrote the book, "Dune," upon which the Iron Maiden song, "To Tame a Land", is based. Herbert had also died that same year, explaining the word "Ails". The reference also refers to the unfriendly response the band received from Herbert (via his agent) regarding permission to use "Dune" as the song's title.[19]
    • Beneath the Phantom Opera House sign, there is a sign that reads "EMI REC.". All of the band's albums, outside North America, have been released by EMI Records.
    Track listingEdit
    Side one
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Caught Somewhere in Time" Steve Harris 7:22
    2. "Wasted Years" Adrian Smith 5:06
    3. "Sea of Madness" Smith 5:42
    4. "Heaven Can Wait" Harris 7:24
    Side two
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    5. "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" Harris 6:31
    6. "Stranger in a Strange Land" Smith 5:43
    7. "Deja-Vu" Dave Murray, Harris 4:55
    8. "Alexander the Great" Harris 8:35
    Total length: 51:18
    1995 reissue bonus CD
    No.
    Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Reach Out" Dave Colwell 3:31
    2. "Juanita" (Originally recorded by Marshall Fury) Steve Barnacle, Derek O'Neil 3:47
    3. "Sheriff of Huddersfield" (Based on an old Urchin song called "Life in the City") Harris, Bruce Dickinson, Smith, Murray, Nicko McBrain 3:35
    4. "That Girl" (Originally recorded by FM) Andy Barnett, Pete Jupp, Merv Goldsworthy 5:07

PersonnelEdit

Production and performance credits are adapted from the album liner notes.[1][23]

Iron Maiden
    Production
    Caught Somewhere In Time:

We open the record with the quasi title track, written by Harris and allegedly based on the film Time After Time.
    The song begins with the guitar harmonies backed by the guitar synths, which definitely jump out and grab your attention. At :17, Steve and Nicko come in and bring the classic gallop, giving the intro punch and intensity. At :52, the track quickly morphs into a fast paced rocker, which Bruce snarling over it and providing the right amount of aggression and precision, and we must give Dave and Adrian credit for some stellar guitar harmonies on this track. And damn, do I hear some Dio in Bruce's voice in the chorus, higher pitched tonally, but in terms of phrasing I hear some Dio. Dave rips out a solo at 3:26 with great tonality and phrasing, with Adrian responding at 4:04, and his solo is quite excellent too, and I think I might give this song to him, seriously, it is an excellent solo.
    This is an extremely solid song and a great way to kick off the album.

10. Zoot Marimba

Live in 1976:

CBackley, SammyJoe and superstar19 like this.
  11. Zoot Marimba

Dungeon'scover

12. Live After Death (1985)

[​IMG]

Won't expand on this other than to say...I'm in the minority who thinks this is way overrated.
    Compared with what I saw on The World Slavery Tour in 84' this was a huge disappointment.
    Depending on who you hear it from there are no overdubs??
    If that's the case...their should have been some because this at times sound frankly poor.
    For me Bruce progressively got worse during the tours as the 80's wore on.
    He's all over the shop here for me...
    Not one of my go too's....

13. So far....
    1 Powerslave 5/5
    2 Iron Maiden 5/5
    3 Piece Of Mind 5/5
    4 The Number Of The Beast 4/5
    5 Killers 4/5
    6 Live After Death 3/5

14. ...and onto 1986's Somewhere In Time.

Caught Somewhere In Time.

Opening track and my worst fears (for now) were cast aside.
    This is a barnstorming track which kicks the album off in riveting fashion.
    I'd frankly...for the first time lost a little interest, after feeling so-so about their previous (first) live album.
    Production tacks on a steelier sharper attack than previous...and the artwork as per is just amazing.
    The synths ???
    never bothered me....
    5/5

15. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

Caught Somewhere In Time

What an audacious opener. At over seven minutes in length its Maiden's longest opening song (at least for now.) I like the addition of the synths. They capture a mood for this album and root the songs to this particular time which for me makes the album feel like a concept album even if Steve disagrees. I can see why this was a starting point for long time fans jumping ship but thankfully I came into the band a few years later and for me songs like Caught Somewhere in Time felt just as natural as something off of Beast. Not the best song off the album but still fun. 3.5/5

CBackley, SammyJoe and Standoffish like this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I could never get into "Caught Somewhere in Time". Very weak opening and sorta title track.

Somewhere In Time has always been my least favorite album with Bruce. I know I am in the minority with that opinion, but I am fine with that.

Great artwork, probably the best!

17. Best thing about the opening track is Adrians solo, it's so good. A great solo by my fav maiden guitarist.

18. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Somewhere in Time: I will have that chorus stuck in my head all day. And that's ok! :righton:

19. Zoot Marimba

I like it more than you, but I do agree Bruce sounds kind of rough in spots

CBackley likes this.
  20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Right there with you, Ace. Not a favorite. I think I bought it around the same time Scorpion’s World Wide Live came out and was MEH’d TO DEATH by both.

I guess I’ll comment a bit on SIT as I did say I’d stick around for this one.

As to “Caught Somewhere In Time” it’s ok. I don’t care about the synths as even Judas Priest had incorporated them into their sound so why shouldn’t Maiden? A band must move with the times (unless you’re AC/DC or Motörhead, heh), so no ill will there.

To me, it just seemed like besides “Wasted Years” which is Iron Maiden’s best song, IMO, that SIT was a band in serious decline in terms of songwriting. The year break didn’t seem to help, but, instead increased the drop off. Perhaps I was already moving on from commercial metal like IM, but this album seemed weak. There are some truly god awful songs on this one. It was the end for me.

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  21. Uncanny how we feel the same about Maiden's approaching decline...

GodShifter likes this.
  22. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

That is a very interesting point. I follow along these lines and dropped off after SIT (which I have always loved) and didn't pick back up until Brave New World. I own all (including live LPs & CDs) but No Prayer thru Virtual XI.

On a side note, I love the IM of the 80s & post 2000. I am a runner & I run about 80 miles a month. Since finding this thread, I have been thrust into a serious Maiden binge w/ my running playlists. My current playlist consists of all post 2000 stuff and I am discovering lots of stuff I just passed over before. Their 80s albums are so ingrained they don't hold my interest when I am running w/ the headphones on (cranking in the car is a completely different story!).

I am not really good at writing about music so I hold back on adding points here, but I sure enjoy reading this thread. Who knows, maybe I will jump in if there's something to add...but man, there are some great posts each day. Keep em coming! \M/

23. Zoot Marimba

Hey, go for it! And yeah, I do not know the Blaze albums or most of the post reunion albums beside BOS and I forgot to mention BNW in my earliest posts. So I'm going into certain albums cold

CBackley and scottp like this.
  24. TexasBuck

TexasBuck Forum Resident

I think "Somewhere In Time" is a solid follow up to the stellar "Powerslave" and serves as a transitional album to the masterpiece "Seventh Son". I rank it pretty similarly with "Peace of Mind". (3.5 - 4 star range out of 5.) I like the more progressive direction and respect the band trying to change things up a bit musically. "Somewhere and Time" is a bit inconsistent but has some vintage tracks.

The title track is one of them. The guitar synths and then the bass line at the beginning, really pull me in. We get a nice gallop in the verses. I shouldn't like the chorus as much as I do. After all, it's just the title of the song screamed over and over again...But I do. Bruce just wails here.

This tour was my first Maiden concert. "The Rime of the Ancient" was easily the highlight. Opening act for me was a band named "Waysted" I don't even remember what they sounded like, but I thought the name was funny.

Also, this is my favorite album artwork in the history of music. I spent hours upon end staring at it and never failed to find something new I'd never noticed before.

25. Zoot Marimba

Who wants to rank the album covers at the end of this thread?