Ann Arbor, MI Record Stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Benno123, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

We’re making a run north into Michigan on Saturday and was curious if anyone could provide some insight into Ann Arbor’s record stores. I see three listed when I do a Google search. I am looking for used records to browse through, is it worth the time to drive the extra few miles to browse or not, even if I don’t buy? Classic rock, jazz, vocal, Seger (hometown boy), etc. what I am looking for. (We have to go to Canton, MI in a couple of weeks, is it worth waiting to visit anything in that area instead?)

2. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I used to really like Wazoo Records when I lived there, but that was decades ago. Maybe they've gotten better, but a hint about browsing there if they are are skin color focused as they used to be: Look for albums by black people in r&b and jazz and albums by white people in rock. I still remember with some bemusement finding records by Hendrix in soul and finding disco records that were much more in line with r&b in the rock section simply because the covers had white people on them.

Benno123 likes this.
  3. BikeTony

BikeTony Active Member

Heres a few that I like to go to. I live in Plymouth Mi. Very close to canton. They are in the opposite direction from going to Ann Arbor but about the same distance from Canton. Both Stores I am suggesting with have better pricing than going to Ann Arbor and I think better for finding a better feel for what Detroit has to offer.

R&B and Jazz
    Street Corner Music
    Located in: Lincoln Shopping Center
    Address: 26020 Greenfield Rd, Oak Park, MI 48237

Rock, R&B, and Jazz
    Peoples Records
    Address: 1464 Gratiot Ave, Detroit, MI 48207
    They have a second location (but the first location has a better selection)
    Address: 20140 Livernois Ave, Detroit, MI 48221

R&B and Jazz
    Hello Records
    Address: 1459 Bagley Ave, Detroit, MI 48216

Good Luck :)

superstar19 and Benno123 like this.
  4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is Hello Records close to Corktown, maybe a block or two south of the road that will take you close to Joe Louis? I think I was there many moons ago ..... sounds familiar.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Too late for your visit I'm afraid, but for Ann Arbor I would never pass up a chance to spend a couple of hours (easily) at Encore Records. Wazoo, Underground Sounds (just down the street from Encore), and PJs are also good to visit while in the area.

Vinyl Hub shows these and others around the area. VinylHub

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.