Right channel slightly louder than left

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jjb82, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjb82

jjb82 Member Thread Starter

When I’m listening to stereo music I noticed that the right channel is slightly louder than the left. When I say slightly I emphasize the word slightly because the differences hard to notice. Perhaps my OCD is kicking in a bit too much. I’m not sure if it’s louder or putting out slighty more bass. They are tower speakers which are bi amped. The tweeter and midrange are powered by my pre amp and my 2 10 inch woofer are powered by my NAD amp. All the levels are set to be even. One thing that should mention is that the right speaker is much closer to the corner than the left. Maybe I m just getting more reflection from the corner and that’s causing it.....not certain

2. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

corner is boosting level.
    Turn level down on right speaker a bit till things sound even.

The life of an audiophile...frustrating at times!

Juan Matus, SirMarc and Manimal like this.
  3. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Toe in?
    Is one leaned back/forward farther? I've been known to use a level. :hide:
    Different distance from a wall (side or front)?

4. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

My first impulse.

5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Stereo recordings are not the best way to check the balance. Play a mono cd. Listen carefully. Is the music nicely centered between the two speakers?

George P, insoc123, jonwoody and 12 others like this.
  6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Check your speaker wire. I've heard that uneven speaker wire makes no difference and I've heard that it does, but I solved a longstanding channel imbalance with my system (years ago with a vintage amp that I no longer have) by making the speaker wire strands equal.

If your amp is vintage, maybe use some contact cleaner on the balance pot.

7. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Play some mono bass frequencies using free videos from youtube. Check for balance and adjust accordingly.

insoc123 likes this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

To solve the problem just let wax buildup in your right ear more than your left. I kid of course; but that is something to watch for as well. It is likely that corner and some placement adjustments and toe in seem in order.

martinb4 likes this.
  9. jjb82

They are both toed in. The left is about 6 feet from the corner and the right is about 2 feet from the corner

10. jjb82

The amp is a bit old, but a very good one. It’s a NAD power envelope 2600 with the THD of .03 and 150 Watts a channel. I know the connection panel on the back is a little loose. I’m going to search the Internet and hopefully I can find a replacement for the connectors

dkmonroe likes this.
  11. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

In your case, it sounds like it's the corner position. The solution is the balance control (or repositioning the speakers). As @bmoregnr said, earwax can cause this, too. I'd add that slight congestion in the ears (due to allergy, say) is similar. When I have it, I notice a change in channel balance long before I realize my ears are congested.

bmoregnr likes this.
  12. jjb82

If anyone knows where I can find a connection panel for a NAD power envelope 2600 please let me know

13. jjb82

I also seem to notice it more often when I am playing vinyl. It may have to do with my cartridge more than anything. Nevertheless I still want to replace the connectors on my amplifier

14. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Put your gear in your profile so when you say "tweeter/mid powered by preamp" we know what you really meant.

Use balance knob "extremely" until you figure out what you are hearing. A chair with wheels that swivels, and does height adjustment, helps for near field critical listening sessions.

Play around with all connections if it is truly slight.

15. If it is vinyl it could a cart out of alignment.

16. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

Oh God I went through the same thing and thought I was going crazy - and I never really figured it out. It is slight but you know how we are - once heard, never forgotten!

AppleCorp3 and SirMarc like this.
  17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I vote speaker position and possible OCD. I have a tendency to listen too hard (OCD) and sometimes imagine that one channel is stronger than the other. Had a professional set up my new speakers and I've been enjoying a perfect balance ever since (OCD effectively mitigated).
    Best of luck!

18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I had a similar issue. The right speaker was closer to a side wall, and sounded slightly lower that of the left chanel. I simply raised the right chanel output on my receiver, and that seems to have solved the discrepency.

On_the_dunes and forthlin like this.
  19. Mike-48

It can happen even if distances are the same, but the right and left walls are constructed differently. And, of course, the discrepancy will vary across the frequency band, meaning it will sound more or less pronounced on different musical material.

20. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I have the same issue. I also have the right speaker closer to a corner than the left, but it was annoying enough that I decided to connect my computer to the headphone jack and run a VU meter program. I played a mono source, then adjusted the balance until they matched on the computer. There is indeed a bias towards the right channel.

Balance adjustment took care of it in terms of centering mono recordings. But as noted above, when stereo frequencies vary, the balance can drift to the right again. Never to the left. My OCD goes nuts :(

SirMarc likes this.
  21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My problem is that one ear is better than the other ear. I have to adjust my listening chair to get things sounding right.

22. Mike-48

Yeah, it can drive me crazy, too. What saved me was having other audiophiles over who didn't even notice it. Our systems can become extensions of our selves, and the sensitive among us tend to notice our own flaws quicker than flaws of others. (Political remark omitted.)

Probably un-helpful advice, but: Try to Relax. NO audio system is perfect. How wonderful it is to have beautiful music in the home, even with flaws!

MadMelMon likes this.
  23. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

Would it be worth swapping some connection so that left goes to right, right to left to see if that does anything. Using this you could trace the issue to its source.

Another idea is to get a test CD which has a centre tone.

Have you just moved your speakers to their current position or have they been there for a while and this imbalance has just arisen?

Loose connections can certainly play a part, as can asymmetric rooms. It should also be pointed out though that some tracks are not exactly centred. I have one where vocals are slightly to the left.

bmoregnr likes this.
  24. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You need to run pink noise to the left then right channels and measure with an SPL meter at your listening position, and use your balance control to make any needed adjustment.

I point the SPL meter at the ceiling to ensure each speaker's response is 'seen' the same. Use a tripod if you have one.

25. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Similar experience. Years ago, I found that with headphones listening to a mono source that the balance was shifted over a bit to the left. I thought there was something wrong with my equipment until I realized that my left ear was better than my right ear.
    So make sure that's not the issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.