The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

And the Clementines!

2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

going to drive home this morning in the snow finally listening to my road trips vol 1.1 cd

Scopitone, US Blues and KeninDC like this.
  3. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I agree on Garcia's singing. Great Sugaree with Mydland on Organ.

I also think Garcia sounded very sweet on the short November tour of '78, before the vocal trainwreck that is Passaic on the 24th

US Blues and SBegonias17 like this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Argh - “ambitious” should read “ambiguous”.

5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Yep. I think that the spiel may have been adapted to mitigate the belief that one needs an HDCD device to get the full quality and dynamic range of the discs.

May have been better if they just added a note to the effect that there is no loss of quality if one plays the discs on a non-HDCD device.

Ah yes. The 20 January version is one of my favourite moments of the primal years. Jerry’s tone on those shows - and on that show in particular - is fearsome. Thanks goodness for Les Pauls with P90s in them.

Crispy Rob, ducksdeluxe and US Blues like this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Perhaps this one:
    [​IMG]

7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Anyone else watch the free Otiel and Friends webcast last night? Great show. Oteil does some of the Jerry ballads quite nicely, IMO. If I Had The World To Give and So Many Roads were particularly nice.

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  8. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

At @Jman92 enthusiastic recommendation, I listened to 5/9/79 yesterday. What a fantastic FOB recording! Sounds amazing, and the band were playing great.

9. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Driving through Shreveport en route to Dallas.

Finished 4 7 72 abd am at the start of 4 8 72

Everyone goes nuts over 4 8. Why not 4 7?!?! That The Other One is OUTSTANDING, PITB and Truckin are killer. Loads of energy. Great setlist. Hottest most ripping GSET ever played....

Screw yall :)

10. warewolf95

Is there a sbd for the gig? If not thats officially the best AUD ive ever heard by anyone ever.

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Dunno. But not sure I would need it. This one's too good. :D

Matthew Tate and warewolf95 like this.
  12. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

9/28/72's GSET wants a word!!!

13. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

4/7 is great. When I started my run through E72 a few months ago, I thought the same as you. Then I listened to 4/8 immediately afterwards and, well, got why 4/8 is so revered and why it overshadows 4/7. The DS>SM>Caution is one of the greatest long form jams they ever did and everything else is extremely well played with many other tunes in “one of the best ever” territory.

I found that was common on E’72, you’d have very good shows eclipsed by best ever contenders the next night or from the night before. Kind of unbelievable how high quality that tour was that there were only two “eh” shows for me out of 22.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

it's interesting how consistent that tour was. it was common for them to have a warm up night followed by great shows in the same venue but so much of that tour was different venues every day or two. especially considering these were multiple countries.

15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

What 2 shows do you consider “eh”?

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  16. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Beat Club would be one. Just guessing.

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

1973-03-24 Truckin'>Dark Star Tracked Truckin ~32 minutes, Dark star ~4 minutes, but a case could be made for Truckin' ~10, Dark Star ~24. The jam out of Truckin' slips into a kind of space and Jerry drops the opening lick to Dark Star before the next jam starts up.

The jam winds up being exceptional, particularly the latter part of the Spanish Jam, but I wouldn't say it's wall-to-wall amazing; not that any of it is lacking, it just takes its time at points. Overall I am very pleased with this. Maybe someday I'll listen to other parts of the show...

18. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I'm probably in the minority but for me 5/4 & 5/7 are "eh".

warewolf95 likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

BIG day

Originally disappointed that the Phil Lesh shows at Capital Theatre sold out immediately leaving me out in the Cold Rain & Snow....

Stepped up and bought 2 decent balcony seats for a few $$$ over list so I’ll be seeing Phil Lesh for the first time in almost 38 years.

Mansley, ianuaditis, mgb70 and 15 others like this.
  20. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Glad you and @warewolf95 enjoyed it! I finished the show last night....really really solid from start to finish. The peak in Truckin' was VERY intense. Great show!

I agree RE: the recording quality as well. Interestingly, there is another AUD recording of this show by the great Barry Glassberg that's also apparently quite nice (I haven't listened to it to compare). But for my money, anything Charlie Miller touches is my go-to for show listening. Never heard of this Steve Rolphe but the recording is excellent! And apparently Charlie thought so too...

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  21. warewolf95

Jist finished 4 8 straight through. My thoughts are exactly what you typed.

I apologize to you all. I should screw myself. That was incredible. :)

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

One of the great tapers, with too many great recordings to single one out, but I will anyway: Jan 15, 1979, anniversary just passed.

budwhite, adamos, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

STOUT! To be in the presence of the Professor, no matter who the band is, allows us to tap into the Source of the Grateful Dead.

24. Dahabenzapple

I had to go no matter what. Who knows if I get the chance again. It means too much to me. I’ve missed a few of my heroes before and even though I’ve seen Phil I can’t remember much about that show. Too far away. Too broke. Too angry those days. Disconnected with the band at that time.

Missed a bunch of my favorite pianists - all of which I had a chance to see live before they left this earth: Don Pullen, Horace Tapscott, Mal Waldron & Paul Bley come to mind. Missed them all:(

There will be no regrets this time:)

budwhite, US Blues, adamos and 4 others like this.
  25. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It sucks to overpay for a show, but I'm a firm believer that sometimes it needs to be done. You won't remember that money, but you'll remember the show...