New (used) Turntable: Thorens vs. Dual. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Pavol Stromcek, Sep 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I bought mine in 1977, and it's never missed a day. No upgrades, never did any real maintenance on it. It just works.

During all these years my Technics SP15 has developed unresolvable servo control issues... my Dual's auto return sometimes fails and it usually needs about 15 minutes to settle into the correct speed... the Pioneer PL12 gave up the ghost years ago...

The genius behind the Thorens is its simplicity: A 60Hz synchronous motor that could tow a truck, a belt, a heavy platter. A switch to apply AC power. There literally is no circuitry involved.

2. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Simple can be good, very good. :)
    -Bill

3. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I've been using a Thorens TD 145 since the early 80's. My father bought it new in maybe 75? Every 5 years or so I bring it to my turntable guru for a tune up, and its never missed a day (knock on wood lol). Mine also has no trouble with 45's with genuine belts. Also, the auto lift feature is awesome, no jumping up for me at the end of a side. Il never replace mine

4. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I've got both, get the Thorens

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

VN Thorens. Dave is great to work with.

ddarch and djost like this.
  6. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

My preferences would be 1) VN, 2) non-VN Thorens, and 3) Dual. Options 1 and 2 are rock solid and very low maintenance. I currently own a VN150, probably my "rest of my (hopefully long) life" table. Beautiful, musical, and "five minutes from opening the box to playing" easy. Plus it's pretty. I loved both of my non-VNs, a TD 125 with SME and an all stock TD150. I've never owned a Dual but played plenty back in the late 69s and early 70s. Very nice as well but not my top pick. In that era I also really liked Empires.

ddarch and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Every five years? I better get busy because I'm way behind schedule. Idlers are complex but it's been a lot longer than five years since my 1229Q or 1019 have been serviced. One day they will, I'm not questioning that.

savemenow and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member Thread Starter

It's interesting, though not particularly surprising, that so far the Thorens votes are way outnumbering the Dual votes in this thread. This has me wondering how people might compare/contrast a Thorens TD 160 or Dual 701 against my current turntables: my recently deceased Denon DP-51f, or my backup table, an early Technics SL-1400.

9. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Thorens. No comparison. My tech refuses to even look at any Duals, and he is the one who wires tonearms for Vinyl Nirvana.

ddarch, Bill Why Man and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

They're different animals. I own a Denon DP-60L and an AR-ES1 belt drive. I don't even play the same type of music on them, thus, will not make a direct comparison. The suspended belt table is better for jazz, classical, and any other acoustic music. The direct drive is better at anything that has electric/electronic instruments/sounds.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

This is Dual's recommendation, their manuals say so.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's cool. I suppose it would depend on how many hours you use the turntable too. I split my listening between three Duals so maybe that helps. It's easy to ship a turntable to Bill. I'll be ready when the time comes!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

In 45+ years of listening, I have yet to hear any belt or direct drive table beat an idler, Dual or otherwise, when it comes to heavy percussive music, whether it be rock'n'roll, blues, jazz, etc. Nothing delivers a gut punch better.

savemenow and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

50/50 job.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Pavol Stromcek

Well, after lots of research and even a little agonizing, I decided on a Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-160 Super.

So far, I'm happy. The sound, when compared to my Technics SL-1400 or the Denon DP-51f, is slightly fuller, warmer even. It's like the Technics and Denon are a touch brighter and thinner. (All TTs have the same cartridge, an AT440MLa (w/ 'b' stylus replacement), so I think these are valid comparisons). Certain lower frequencies seem a tad fuller or punchier, the midrange seems a bit more robust, and the higher frequencies have a nice silky quality to them. The overall sound has a certain heft or body to it that I like. Whether this difference is more attributable to the tonearm (a Rega RB220), the wiring, or the suspended sub-chassis and solid-wood plinth of the table itself, I have no idea! But I am hearing a difference, and I'm liking what I'm hearing.

The suspended chassis takes a lot of getting used to, though. The springs are so incredibly sensitive and springy that even working the tonearm's cueing lever requires an extremely feather-light touch. I'm also working the tonearm manually way, way less than normal. The slightest touch and this thing jiggles up and down like jello. In order to clean the stylus with the ZeroDust, I have to wedge a little piece of foam under the tonearm's arm board so that the tonearm and chassis don't bounce around when lowering the stylus into the gel. So, that part of having a VN Thorens is a bit strange, but once the stylus is in the groove, things are quite nice.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Jack Flannery, SirMarc, Helom and 3 others like this.
  16. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Excellent, enjoy, it's a friend for life.

ddarch, McLover and Pavol Stromcek like this.
  17. Beauty. I never cared for those servo Denon/JVC/Sony tables and think you made a wise choice. Don't know what was wrong with the Denon but happy you never caved and threw more money at it.There might be an adjustment phase moving to the quirks of a suspended table but in the long run, you've made a considerable upgrade. Enjoy.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  18. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

This is one of the reasons I've never upgraded from my TD145. Every time I've shopped tables under 2000, they sound thin to me, and this is with the stock tp-16 arm, so its probably the plinth and suspended chassis I'm guessing.

Glad you're enjoying the Thorens sir!

19. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

You will get used to it.

Pavol Stromcek and ddarch like this.
  20. Pavol Stromcek

I also have to add that it's an absolutely gorgeous turntable. Dave does a wonderful job with these. I'll have to post a pic when I'm able to photograph it in good light.

Gasman1003 and SirMarc like this.
  21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Exactly. Never had a bit of speed problem with my TD-125 or TD-160. Speed control not needed. :thumbsup:

I did sell both my Thorens however, out sheer boredom. But the were probably the best sounding tables I've owned. The only thing I didn't like was setting the "bounce" right on a TD-125. What a pain! The TD-160 was set it and forget it, but I wasn't really excited about the arm, although it is a good arm. I like less complicated looking arms.

22. ddarch

ddarch Senior Member

My two cents on the Music Hall Cruise Control II, from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

The number one reason to use is if you are extremely susceptible to pitchiness. The ability to adjust rpms in tenths is wonderful. Problem solved with a few pushes of a button.

A second reason to use it is it will clean up the ac signal from the wall outlet. If you already have components doing that, then moot point.

The third reason to use it is, because the belt stays in the 45 rpm position, when the cruise control on the table is running at 33rpm, the motor is actually spinning at fewer revolutions, and is thus more quiet.

Dave

PS Thanks for all the kind comments.

23. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

I am surprised I found this thread. I have actually owned both turntables. I had the Dual and then sold it and got the Thorens TD-160. The Thorens was much quieter and better functioning overall which allowed more music to flow thru the tonearm and cartridge. The Thorens was eventually replaced by an Oracle Delphi MkII.

24. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Would you consider a VPI? I owed this turntable and have absolutely nothing but praises for it's design and performance, whisper quiet, looks fantastic and if you shop around, you can get a very nice price, just have to work at it! I have owned both Dual and Thorens, and one of my objections to the Thorens tables are the suspension. I would walk by it and the platter bounces around like a darn trampoline, which is why you see so many mounted on walls, and that was a non starter for me. The engineering of the VPI SCOUT is just wonderful, the cartridge set up with their gig is easy and quick and I really loved mine. :righton:

[​IMG]

25. Pavol Stromcek

Well, considering I ended up buying a Vinyl Nirvana Thorens TD-160 Super, there's no need to consider the VPI for now. Also, I made/installed a wall-mounted shelf for the Thorens, which was absolutely necessary in my apartment, so there's no need to tiptoe around to prevent the platter from jiggling.

ddarch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.