Why has e bay become so awful for record collectors?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ragnar1, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ragnar1

ragnar1 Member Thread Starter

broken search engine,cancelled orders,records shipped in box cardboard .
    most of these 60's records have dried up because of you tube
    actually, I don't think you have a real market left.market means supply : no supply,no market

2. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Most sellers don't have a clue about the art of record collecting.One word the sellers use frequently Vinyls that is a sure sign they haven't a clue.

bug2362 and Dave like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

dode vinyls is life how can u not kno about vinyls??? vinyls is the best

I've never bought an LP through eBay (at least, not that I remember). I bought one through Discogs and one from here. Both were exceptionally well packed and had no problems - Discogs seller actually offered me a $10 discount as he discovered he had overgraded it while packing. I would have loved to have bought new LPs from Amazon but now that they've done away with, y'know, packing them, I'll never buy one; quite frankly, with Discogs and eBay, I don't know if I'll ever buy anything from Amazon again.

Anyway, the point is, it can be hit or miss. It's a shame when the misses have the stuff you really want. :(

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Also, there is no business model in which the platform helps its' customers make money...and somewhere down the line, the business itself doesn't get jealous of its' own success, and decides they deserve a bigger cut of that.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i don't buy vinyl anymore, but back in the day i bought a whole hell of a lot of it, and i cannot imagine for the life of me buying an album without first holding it my own hands and looking it over. buying vinyl on ebay just seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Thommo577 and tmtomh like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and in reply to my pwn post:

i was thinking about this after i posted, vinyl sellers on ebay 999 of 1000 times know when they have something htis of value, condition notwithstanding.

and they also know that once that collector gets that rare album in his/her hands the odds of returning it, no matter the condition, are slim and none.

my advice: never ever ever buy a vinyl record on ebay, unless it is ridiculously cheap and shipping is free and return shipping would be paid by the seller if the record ended up being unlistenable.

7. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Over the past 3 years I've had great luck on eBay. I have never had to pay for return shipping on any of the many items I've returned. In my opinion, the buyer has more protection via eBay/PayPal then they do in most used record stores.

Thommo577, bekayne and tmtomh like this.
  8. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I used to be like you until I bought an inexpensive ultrasonic cleaning machine. It can do real miracles, often improving a record upto two grades, i.e VG -> NM.. . Of course it is not perfect, but it takes a lot of the risk out of buying records unseen.

9. Thommo577

Thommo577 Forum Resident

Or multiple, multi-car accidents in my case....whew.

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I stopped buying online 10 years ago! Really need to see it in person with my reading glasses on with proper lighting....even then it can be a crap shoot>:cry:
    9 times out of 10 I am quiet happy with my ability to read vinyl.

sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.