Recommend a simple integrated amp for under $1500.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rischa, Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rischa

rischa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I love my little 2wpc Decware Super Zen, but every once in a while I get the urge to add more power to a Rolling Stones album or Mahler symphony. With this in mind, I'm looking for a simple, bare-necessities integrated for under $1500 that I can keep on hand and easily switch my source and speaker cables over to from the Zen.

I don't really care if it's tube, SS, or Class D, but here are a few must-haves:
    • At least 45wpc
    • Must come in black
    • Should play nice with all genres
    And here are some things I would prefer it not to have:
    • Tone controls
    • Phono stage
    • Multiple inputs (2 is fine, but I really only need 1)
    As an example of what I have in mind, my short list so far consists of the Odyssey Cyclops.

I have a Marrantz PM6004 but it's actually an example of what I'm not looking for in that it's unattractive and has too many features (good sound for the money, though).

My speakers are Tekton Lores, and I split my listening equally between vinyl and CD.

Thanks in advance for the reccomendations.

2. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

No phono stage? Blasphemy! ;) check out the Arcam A19, I had it, loved it with my turntable. well under a grand and of course you can get a higher powered Arcam as well.

A19 - Integrated Amplifier - Arcam

Larry Loves LPs and rischa like this.
  3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The new Rega Brio 2, released in 2017, is a great choice that comes in at around $800. Its phono stage is very good, there’s power to spare, it sounds excellent, operates absolutely silently, and can drive your Tekton Lore speakers with great control.

For even more refinement and even greater dynamics, the Rega Elex-R (which is right at your maximum budget amount), is an even better choice.

The new Brio is wonderful though, and well worth an audition. It’s fast, and keeps on delivering no matter what you demand of it.

I’ve got a new Brio 2 powering a desktop system. It has been loaned out to friends at least half a dozen times. They use it as a benchmark to help them judge the quality of higher-end amplification they’re considering. The Brio sounds so good and so entertaining, that plenty of higher-end (and much more expensive) integrated amps and power amps have to work hard to fend off its competitive nature.

The Rogue Audio Sphinx is a great hybrid design that combines a 12AU7-based line stage with a MM phono stage and a very powerful and sophisticated dual power output modules in class D (designed by Bruno Putzeys). It’s an impessive accomplishment. The newer version of the integrated amp, released in 2017, is a serious contender. It sounds great, it has plenty of power on tap, and its phono stage is as good as the very good phono stage in the Brio. The Sphinx comes in under $1500. Another one that is well worth auditioning.

I sold my Sphinx (the previous version) to a neighbor. I had to make room for new gear coming in. The neighbor has been using it for almost two years and will never part with the thing. The new version is an audible upgrade that addressed a few complaints users had about the original. I think the Sphinx is now a very serious contender in the price range and deserves a lot of respect.

Robert C, HankM, HiFi Guy and 4 others like this.
  4. rischa

Thanks for the reccomendations, unfortunately both the Rogue and Regas have too many features (phono-stage, head-amp, etc.). Otherwise they'd be great choices. I'm really looking for something simple and straight foward, and I'd prefer not to pay for features I don't need if possible.

5. rischa

That's a good looking integrated, but again it has too many features. I don't need pre-out, phono-input, head-amp, etc.--just an input and volume control really.

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Uh. That Cyclops looks awesome.. DO IT!

rischa likes this.
  7. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Topping TP60 comes in waaay under budget.

Robert C, HiFi Guy and BayouTiger like this.
  8. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

That's all fine but the reality is that good sound is the ultimate goal. It shouldn't matter if it sounds killer and just happens to have a bunch of features you'll never use. No?

JackG, vinylontubes and McGuy like this.
  9. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

^^^^ Yeah, no phone stage and only a few inputs is a pretty limiting requirement. Think resale value!!

10. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Check out French company Atoll's offerings if they're distributed where you are. Their integrated amps should be right up your alley. Fully symmetrical output stages with discrete components, optional phono stage (and remote control), no tone control and sold in black. Very affordable and totally made in France (that might not matter much to you).
    They do, however, have more inputs than you need and a headphone amp, but nobody's perfect.
    I've been using their entry-level In30 for about 5 or 6 years and am thoroughly happy with it.

Kafernuss likes this.
  11. rischa

I guess I disagree in this instance. Sound quality is always the most important thing, but I'm hoping to find a great sounding amp that's also very bare-bones. Part of the issue is thst I don't want a bunch of unnecessary buttons and lights--aesthetics are important to me. I'm hoping logic holds that it will sound good for the money because I'm not paying for features I don't need.

12. rischa

I probably wouldn't worry about resale for a >$1500 amp. I don't really change amps as much as other audiophiles anyway.

HiFi Guy and IanL like this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

With respect, I have a hard time following your reasoning. There's no correlation whatsoever on amount of features VS sound quality. So really, this is all about aesthetics at this point and you need to cross your fingers that your ears will be as pleased as your eyes.

I'm the complete opposite. I couldn't care less what a piece of gear looks like as long as it sounds utterly breathtaking. Pink with polka dots and grass growing on top? Fine. Does it sound jaw-droppingly good? Yes? Then, bring it on. This will sound quite simplistic but I listen entirely with my ears so looks of the device that gives me the sound matters not one iota in the listening experience equation... to me.

I'll wish you luck in finding what you're looking for.

JackG, McGuy and Helom like this.
  14. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Well good luck finding minimal inputs, but I'm rooting for anyone who uses Rolling Stones and Mahler in the same sentence! (and I definitely understand aesthetics in your choices!! I can't always afford them... would love some all wood Vandersteens instead of my lovely sounding KEFs and subs!).
    Has everything you don't want, but the Musical Fidelity M3si is elegant looking and exactly $1500.

15. Very curious why you would prefer only one input but you split your time between CD and vinyl? Do you plan on unhooking one/hooking up the other each time you switch between formats?

16. rischa

Thanks, I'd rather not turn this into an aesthetics vs. SQ thread, though. I've always been able to find gear that fits both needs, like the Cyclops linked to above. If it's the only option so be it, just thought I'd see if there were any other integrateds that fit the bill.

17. rischa

The integrated won't be my main amp. Sometimes, but not too often, I wish I had a little more power for certain recordings, and I don't mind moving the interconnects and speaker cables over to a different amp on those rare occasions. All the connections on my every day amp are topside making the transition that much easier.

18. rischa

Thanks! I appreciate it. I'm definitely a musical omnivore--sometimes the Stones fit my mood, sometimes Classical, sometimes Country, sometimes...

19. Helom

Helom Forum member

You could probably find a Hegel H80 for that price. They're black with minimal features except for a DAC.

The Sony TA-A1ES would fit the bill except that it doesn't come in black. Its sound quality far exceeds the Sphinx IMO.

Here ya go, this might tick all your boxes:
    Creek - Evolution EVO 50A V2 - Integrated Amplifier

20. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

The Marantz is very ugly. I agree.

rischa likes this.
  21. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Then you have to lift your sights to the purity of something such as the LFD Zero LE Mk.4.0. It is precisely what you’ve described. Purity from start to finish, no extraneous controls, no tone control, no phono stage (not even the option), no remote control (because the designer, Dr. Bews, does not want anything to affect the purity of the signal). Just pure, superb amplification, superb preamp, dead silent operation and gorgeous sound, all on a single, very high quality chassis.

22. rischa

That's a beaut! Too expensive for a once-in-a-while amp, though, at least for me.

23. racer59

racer59 Forum Resident

Primaluna Dialogue comes pretty close to ticking all those boxes. Used would be just under that price.

Linto likes this.
  24. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Except for the multiple inputs thing, the Audio Refinement Complete integrated has all of the qualities you're looking for - they are not super easy to find, but can be had for about $500, and are one of the great dark horse buys in integrated amplifiers.

timind likes this.
  25. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani ~ Ghosts (2023 LP)

Last year, Musical Fidelity introduced the lower cost and simplified M2Si, no digital or phono, just an old school analog integrated amp, 76 watts per channel into 8 Ohms, 137 watts into 4 0hms. Has a few more inputs than you need, but still pretty clean and uncluttered, and under $1000... I haven't heard it but this MF series has been around for a few years now and gets pretty good reviews from what I've read ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.