Why Do Clicks and Pops Come Out of The Tweeter and Not the Woofer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AcidPunk15, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I upgraded my cartridge from Audio Technica A92ECD to a Shure V15 Type III. I noticed the number of clicks and pops increased I'm assuming its because of an increase in frequency and because I haven't changed the stylus since I bought it used. I'm just wondering why do the clicks and pop only come out of the tweeter instead of the woofer.

2. Defdum&blind

Defdum&blind Forum Resident

Wavelength? It takes a much longer wavelength to produce a low frequency as opposed to a high frequency. As for the amount of pop and clicks you hear from the cartridges this is most likely due to the shape of the stylus which may play back a different portion of the groove. A record that played cleanly on my system sounded terrible with a lot of surface noise when I taken it to a record store open house.

OldSoul and McLover like this.
  3. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Your tweeter needs cleaning :laugh: just kidding! The change to a V-15 has increased tracking and signal retrieval out of the groove. This can also increase noise from debris in the groove. The tweeter reproduces noise because it is a high frequency driver. Ticks are higher frequency, usually peak amplitude at about 2kHz - 8kHz... all within the range of the tweeter. To reduce noise and increase fidelity, I suggest to invest in a record cleaning machine or a spin clean.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  4. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

The premise of your question is flawed. Depending on the crossover point(s) in your speakers, vinyl surface noise can be reproduced by any of the speaker's drivers.

I have an SAE-5000 in my vinyl signal path in my main HT. When I set it up properly (such that it is only eliminating / partially eliminating surface noise, and not the recorded music) and then hit the "Invert" button (so that only the eliminated noise is outputted), if I touch the woofer surrounds / dust cap on my speakers I can indeed feel (perhaps not hear) some induced movement. Obviously more from what one would call "pops" than "ticks." And if I can feel that on a four-way speaker where the signal is crossed over fairly low to the woofer, there's even more chance that it will occur on a three or two way system.

(By the by, this is real-life experience - not supposition.)

Heck, the next chance I get, if I can find a record with lots of pops, I'll see if it even affects the subs - which handle the load from 40 Hz on down. I'd be really surprised if it does, but since I don't know one way or the other, I'll have to give it a try.

Jeff

5. AcidPunk15

I think once I change the stylus I should be fine.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Maybe not - is the current stylus worn?

The FRiNgE likes this.
  7. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

You have a point with the stylus change. The stylus would have to be very blunted to produce a boatload of noise from the surface of the record. The blunted stylus tracks the upper part of the groove, and any small scratch or scuff may be audible. <<<<However>>>> I have never seen nor heard of a V-15 stylus blunted even close to that point. If anything the stylus may have normal wear, and therefore slightly reduced clarity.

Keep in mind, the original Shure stylus is a natural gem diamond. When clean, you can see through it. Generic replacements are inferior. The only other problems could be a very dirty stylus with crusty deposits (wet clean with isopropyl with a stylus brush back to front, repeat as crusty deposits are very stubborn) Another problem could be the suspension rubber has gone soft, so the cantilever may be bottoming out into the cartridge body. Another problem again, could be fatigued suspension and an off-centered cantilever. Aside from that, and with the info given so far, I think the records need cleaning on an RCM or spin clean.

If the original V-15 stylus is good, don't toss it!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Metralla likes this.
  8. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A deep scratch will come through the woofer.
    Light scratches through the tweeter.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Does a medium scratch come through the midrange? :)

10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I think the chances are that it would. :)

11. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I like my scratches full range baby!

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

It´s good that they come out, who would want them in the tweeters.

13. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Interesting thing for you to feel confident about :)

14. AcidPunk15

They Stylus could be a couple of years old but rarely played

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.