Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

It's nowhere close to the 1982 film. I've enjoyed Villeneuve's films from Incendies (2010) on. I enjoyed my first screening of 2049 as well, but it fell short of my expectations.

The 4K release of Blade Runner (Final Cut) must be experienced in a private screening, as with many films, to truly appreciate. One could say the same of 2049, of course, but the Riddley Scott original is transcendent when experienced properly and I'd wager that its reputation will endure for many, many decades.

It is too small. Measure the screen height of the actual 2.4 to 1 content. Sit 2.5x that distance, briefly, just to get an idea. That said, what's to be done? I have my own front projection set-up, but only a fraction of a percent of home theater enthusiasts will get to that point. Commercial theaters get too much wrong in both image and sound. Maybe there will be boutique theaters at some point.

2. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I got my Blu-ray of BR2o49 and started watching it last night.

I'm IN!

BR2049 is a great movie. I love the compelling story line!

I will enjoy watching this film many times!!! :edthumbs:

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I'm with you.

SuntoryTime and Zep Fan like this.
  4. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I'm looking forward to watching it again - just got my Blu-Ray bonus disc version. In Australia, there are 6 different retail versions - the DVD, 2 Blu-Ray versions (one with a bonus disc), 2 of the 4K variety (one with a bonus disc) and a 3D Blu-Ray package. Then there's the overseas versions - I don't know if I'll be able to collect them all, but I'm thinking about it.

5. Zep Fan

I wanted the BD version, but I went for the 4K UHD version for the novelty of having a UHD disc, and includes the BD and Digital, because someday, and I don't know when that will be, I hope to have a UHD system.

6. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

I had pre ordered the standard Blu-Ray however it’s my birthday next week so yesterday I bought myself a birthday present, a Panasonic 4k UHD Blu-Ray player ,so today I've cancelled my original order and upgraded my pre order to the 4k UHD version :righton:

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

I finally saw this last night and was fully absorbed for the whole thing. It wasn't too long or slow and I enjoyed it more than the original.

I think Sylvia Hoeks, who played Luv, was amazing.

Ordered the Blu Ray and the soundtrack CD - and it's rare for me to buy either.

8. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

The saddest scene was when Deckard's dog watched him fly away, never to return. He was a good dog!

9. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Spoiler alert!

10. Zep Fan

[​IMG] ***WARNING*** Possible Headphone Ear Damage Alert

I was listening to the Blade Runner Special Features Menu Screen Music on the BD, through my receiver, with my Bose Over-the-Ears headphones on. I adjusted the volume for the Menu Music playing to be at a normal listening level.

But, when I selected to play the "BLADE RUNNER 101" set of features, the first feature started with a very loud explosion at at least twice the volume of the Menu Music, that I had been listening to just before that.

So please, do not judge the volume of the extra features by the menu music that plays before you select an extra to watch, particularly if you're listening with headphones on.

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's what I said about my 3D "Gravity" disc.

carrick doone likes this.
  12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Finally saw it. Loved it! Still assembling my overall thoughts, but I'll probably watch it again before posting more.

John K.

rufus t firefly and SuntoryTime like this.
  13. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

andybeau likes this.
  14. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

From a person with loud tinnitus and worsening hyperacusis, thanks for the warning. I haven't gotten around to any special features on the blu-ray (other than the three prologues). I watch films with an analogue volume pot in my lap (remote controls aren't responsive enough) and I am constantly gain-riding for my own protection. (In case you were curious, I saw the film in October with massive 3M Peltor earmuffs + earplugs in/on. I think that's my last visit to a cinema until either a. I retire myself due to the aforementioned auditory malfunction (unlikely as I still find reasons to love life) or b. Frequency Therapeutics cures my condition (+/- 5 years). I was dying to see it but it was still way too loud for me and I missed half the dialogue. I couldn't really enjoy it until I finally saw it at home with subtitles turned on.

Third viewing tonight. I love this film. Maybe not in the same way as the original, but they are two different animals.

andybeau likes this.
  15. Zep Fan

I don't go to see action films at the theater anymore, mainly due to the irrational volume spikes during the gratuitous explosions. But firey explosions test very well with overseas audiences (Asia), which is now a very big part of any big action film's bottom line. So, that trend is only going get more crazy.

At home, I can control all of that, by not using the sub-woofer.

When I went to rock concerts in the 70's, I quickly learned to stuff my ears with tissue, and adjust them for what seemed right. But no action film is worth that trouble, constantly adjusting between the 'quiet' parts, and the 'loud' parts.

16. Zep Fan

From the Blu-ray Special Features: Prologues

2022:Black Out (Anime)

Answer if you know, or make a guess, but please don't respond "I don't know..." ya know

Bty, the "Spoiler" option is the 3rd icon next to the Smiles icon, with the name "insert", to use when you answer...

What was the purpose of the live EMP warhead Test Missile Launch? Does the US Test Nuclear Missiles with live warheads? So maybe it was just a test of missile with a live warhead on board...Well okay, but not enough information.

Ren was wearing a shirt/jacket while sitting at the missile launch console with a Tyrell patch on it.
    Does Ren work for the Tyrell Corp. or the US Military? Was Ren there as a contract employee?? At a US missile launch control panel?

Since the EMP messed with all electronics, why wouldn't it have messed with all of the Nexus 8 replicants then on Earth?

17. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I watched this movie OnDemand with subtitles, however, the subtitles showed only the director's commentary, not the spoken dialogue of the film. Did anyone else have this experience with OnDemand?

18. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

The bluray looks fantastic.

Zep Fan likes this.
  19. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Sure, because 3D and an entirely new home video standard which is replacing Rec 709 are equivalent.

20. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I was wondering if the “bad immunity” was more of a ruse to keep her isolated to keep people from figuring out her origin.

21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

We rented it from iTunes and used subtitles, but they were closed caption (English dialogue plus descriptions like "Humming" etc.). You might want to check w/ your provider. You shouldn't have gotten commentary.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:confused: As far as I know, there is no commentary for "2049"...

23. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

My future forward purchase is Hugo and Alice in Wonderland.

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh there are a few more 3-D titles I want to pick up that’s for sure. It’s getting the TV that’s the problem now. They say 4K is useful to us 3d people because you can split the image and a half and still have HD. That would make 4K a useful thing in my 3-D world. As it stands with my glasses prescription, 4K is like SACD. It exists but I have my Redbooks, thanks.

25. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I thought the same thing, as it is not made clear. The movie leaves open many possible future plot lines if someone decides to make a sequel.

John K.

LEONPROFF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.