Over-obsessive about my system's sound quality?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DrD77, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric lubow

eric lubow Forum Resident

ultron9 and Night Version like this.
  2. eric lubow

eric lubow Forum Resident

Beautifully expressed. This is one of the most articulate renderings of the definition of “audio nervosa” I have read. And all the more powerful because it’s clear the author has suffered its effects himself. Those who advise the OP to just get better equipment, are, IMO, missing the point. Yes, it might result in improved sound for the short term, but the quest is endless. If pursuit as an end in itself is satisfying to you, fine, but if your aim is to truly enjoy the music, this path will inevitably disappoint.

edmondbob and martinb4 like this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, you need to upgrade to the Blue stylus. You can obsess even more then... :righton:

SirMarc, ssmith3046 and JimW like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Well he's only got a Red cart. , he's got a long way to go. He's an accountant, he should be able to figure it out. You have to spend money if you want to obsess. We can help you. :cool::agree::laugh:

edmondbob and SirMarc like this.
  5. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

I haven’t read this entire thread but I think I have a sense of it. You are at a point where an upgrade path seems inevitable. Unfortunately without knowing what you really want out of this I can’t recommend a path BUT I can tell you there are several
    Major choices. There are systems and components that are touted for their musicality and others for their detailed and revealing nature. An example might be a wood body Grado versus an Ortofon 2m black. Both are great in their price niche and they are very different. Likewise a Tekton Pendragon is going to sound very different than a comparably priced Revel. Most SS amps will have a very different sound from comparably priced tube equipment. It is my general perception that at your likely next step these are very real and pronounced differences. I’d listen to the obviously contrasting choices to help decide if you prefer one direction over the other. My system is a good example of a path that makes some trade offs but goes more in the direction of warmth and musicality than extreme detail, although I believe it provides plenty of detail. Had I gone the other general direction I think I would have likely gravitated in the same price range to Parasound and Revel 206. But I didn’t. Then there is the higher end vintage route like a higher powered Pioneer receiver and some AR-3 speakers. See if you can listen to very different kinds of systems before a major step in any direction!

Roycer likes this.
  6. DrD77

DrD77 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ok. So I am trying to decide how I should upgrade. Please take a look at my system in my user profile. Should I upgrade my stylus to something like the Ortofon Blue or Nagaoka MP-110 OR upgrade from my built-in phono stage on my Onkyo receiver to something like the Schiit Mani? Which is going to give me a better sound improvement?

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Sounds like you have about the equivalent of £150 to spend. Have you considered how you're going to replace the cartridge? It can be tricky on turntables without a removable head shell. My advice would be to stick with your amplifier and speakers for now, sell your turntable and add the funds to the ~£150 and buy a used Technics SL-1210. I don't think either of the three products you've just listed will result in an appreciable upgrade in the same way that a better turntable would.

8. DrD77

I can easily replace my Ortofon red with the Blue. It’s a matter of switching out the stylus. I just bought my turntable in November so I’m not looking to replace it. I believe you can remove the head shell on it as well.

Robert C likes this.
  9. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Go with the Blue stylus first I guess, then the Mani, and I think you'll be good for a while. These two upgrades should be substantial.

Did you mess around with speaker placement yet? This also could yield substantial results

10. DrD77

Thanks. I have not messed around with the speakers yet. I have a new baby that takes up the majority of my free time

11. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Yup, priorities and all that....:D

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The 2M Red is definitely the weakest link in your chain by far. Think this exercise will convince you of the benefits of upgrading. The 2M Blue is a much better cart than the Red. It tracks better, will eliminate lots of sibilance and IGD, and will give better detailed imaging. The bass will be tighter and more lush, if that makes sense.

I'd start with that. I think that after you do the switch and properly configure the 2M Blue, you'll realize the potential in upgrading. This isn't to convince you to spend more but rather that I believe after reading all your posts in this thread that your expectations for sound quality in regards to your vinyl rig are higher than what your current gear can deliver. Keep us in the loop! :)

13. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Well done. You've encapsulated the flaw in logic from those that want to maintain that listening to super-expensive high-end gear is vital to the listening experience. There are some people who one minute will swear that equipment is the deciding factor, then the next long for bygone days when they listened to the charts on wireless radio!

Robert C likes this.
  14. Andrew J

Andrew J Forum Resident

Maybe A is the outcome of someone attempting to recapture the pleasure once easily gained from listening to A at an earlier age.

To those who really believe equipment is the deciding factor in enjoying music, how many people would be bothering with B if they hadn't previously been awed by something played on something that cost much less and was technically 'inferior'?

15. edmondbob

edmondbob Forum Resident

I would contend there is absolutely nothing about the OP's kit that would prevent him from getting some quite enjoyable sound. The phono section of the Onkyo might be an exception. I think a lot of the "oh don't even bother with that entry level crap" is pure snobbery.

hhjack, JimW, Eliminator Jr. and 3 others like this.
  16. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I'd still want to make sure that you like the sound of your amp before you look for more gear to place around it.

That said, going from a red to a blue will still be an improvement no matter what you ultimately end up with, so it's low risk in the sense that if it *did* turn out to be the amp, you'd still be better off with the upgraded stylus.

Clonesteak and Kristofa like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Or maybe it's due to experience in knowing just how ridiculously better higher-priced gear can be.

18. edmondbob

edmondbob Forum Resident

Thank you for providing an excellent definition of exactly what I meant by "snobbery" Those poor peasants just can't comprehend what we the truly elite know. The lesson of the fable "The Princess and the Pea" was a warning not a compliment.

jimbutsu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.