Opeth "Sorceress" - Fall 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Jun 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krimson

krimson Forum Resident

I agree. I get the album and it is awsome.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

It's still definitely my favorite Opeth release since Watershed or Ghost Reveries.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  3. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Opeth is on a strong 'they can do no wrong' stretch for me that I don't see ending anytime soon.

BLUESJAZZMAN, chrischerm and JoeF. like this.
  4. Stormrider77

Stormrider77 Forum Resident

Late review of the Russian Circles/Devin Townsend Band/Eagles of Death Metal/Gojira/Opeth/Mastodon show that hit Philly May 6 at the Electric Factory. Took place out in the big asphalt lot outside the building. Line to get in was brutal so missed Russian Circles but what I could hear while waiting in line sounded good, all instrumental band. Skipped DTB and Eagles, Eagles are definitely not my cup of tea and DTB, I just don't vibe with his weird humor live though I enjoy Strapping Young Lad and some of his solo works on CD.

Gojira was awesome, my third time seeing them but my first as being more experienced with the songs. Thoroughly enjoyed all the tracks of Magma, these guys just take heavy to an all new level. Crowd was wild for them, mosh pits everywhere. Gonna try catching them again in Brooklyn in September, they're headlining a show at the Brooklyn Steel club.

Gojira Setlist at Electric Factory, Philadelphia

Opeth was up next, came off strong, kinda different vibe after seeing them at Radio City Hall for the last show. Crowd not as into it as Gojira or Mastodon but still a strong reaction. Still love the title track Sorceress live, such a headbanger! And Cusp of Eternity, amazing 70's vibe and sound, kinda Deep Purplish. Mikael still has his offbeat humor with the between song banter, a great should be hall of fame band.

Opeth Setlist at Electric Factory, Philadelphia

And finally the headline act, Mastodon came on. Oh man, this was not a good night for the soundman, he did something that ticked off Brent Hinds royally. He was furious for the whole second half of the show, I don't know if it was an in-ear monitor problem or what but he was kicking the amps in front of him, got on the mic and was saying they need to fire the soundguy. Brent would kick the amp and the soundguy would run out and reposition it and he actually got a kick in the ass one time! So all that being said, it kinda hurt the mood of the show but the setlist was fantastic, heavy mix of the new album and kind of a showcase for Blood Mountain also with 5 tracks off that one. Vocals have certainly improved also. Brent just stormed off after the encore, didn't say thanks or bye or anything. Drummer just apologized and said "we're only human!" Fun little mini festival show, all 3 main bands recommended live.

Mastodon Setlist at Electric Factory, Philadelphia

BLUESJAZZMAN and Plan9 like this.
  5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

The Sydney Opera House gig back in February too was amazing. I was sitting behind the stage in the Choir Pit area which was quite a unique perspective actually getting to see what Martin Axenrot the drummer was playing, behind the kit. Apparently according to Mikael, they were the first Metal band to ever play the Opera House which is somewhat of a surprise. And with all his naturally funny banter between songs, it did surprise him that the venue looks much smaller on the inside as it is when you look from the outside. But there is another room too apparently. I do recall when I saw Joe Bonamassa in the Opera House almost a year ago now, the acoustics were very good and I never really felt the need to wear earplugs too however, in the case of Opeth?! Thought I better play it safe lol. ;)

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I agree with the first 3 or 4 spins but, respectfully, I still don't get the adulation. Maybe I will keep trying because I like Opeth. This, like Heritage and Pale Communion, I have not been able to wrap my brain around.

7. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’m looking for your experience with the vinyl for Sorceress. I have both the Rosewood and Gold versions. Terribly noisy vinyl and poor distorted Sonics. The most disappointing modern pressings i’ve heard. I’m guessing with 2 different pressings they all sound like this, but am curious if your experience. I like the music, but between the joke of a surround disc and disgraceful vinyl, the deluxe box is a total miss for me. Unlike the quality or care of any previous Opeth releases.

8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have just about every pressing of this album, best sounding was the German clear vinyl.

9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Mine is super noisy, clicky and distorted. How’s yours?

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

My red copy is perfect no noise ticks or pops.
    Also have a US black which is my play copy I had to center but plays nice. The clear optimal press is the cleanest sound for me on my system more clean lows and clarity but the difference was small. My 4th came in the wooden box I don't even think I opened it. The red or rose colored one came from the smaller box that wasn't wood I bought from someone here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.