Any Love Here for John Hiatt

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rck60s, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Helluva songwriter.

Easily keeps company with Joni, Lightfoot, Dylan, IMFO.

melstapler likes this.
  2. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Another vote for Slow Turning, great album

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I have ALL his albums. I saw him live back when his touring band was The Guilty Dogs. I much prefer his versions of his songs over the hit versions recorded by others. I consider Bring The Family and Slow Turning his best albums.

jmrife and bibijeebies like this.
  4. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

And Bring The Family one of the best albums of the eighties!

dadonred and wayneklein like this.
  5. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I have always like Dave Edmunds "Something Happens" but then I heard the original by Hiatt and like it even more!

melstapler likes this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Rodney Crowell showed appreciation for John Hiatt when he recorded 'She Loves The Jerk' for the enjoyable "Street Language" LP.

rockinlazys and eelkiller like this.
  7. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

One of my favorite artists of all time. Love his songwriting , sense of humor, and find his self deprecating lyrics refreshing. One of those few artists that you connect with from the first time you hear him. At least for me. I have seen him numerous times and never have been disappointed. Great shows whether acoustic or electric with a backing band. I have all of his releases except his first few and love them all. I disagree that all of his songs and albums sound similar. I don't find that to be the case at all. It is a testimony to John that he is still able to put out quality material after all these years. Looking forward to his next release!

melstapler likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'bring the family" a rare perfect album.

recent hiatt album have been disappointing to me and i'm not sure i can pinpoint exactly why i feel that way. i want to like them, but they just haven't hit me the way the earlier stuff did.

9. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I've been a long time fan since the early 1980's, and have seen him many times. The best show was a solo acoustic performance at the Bottom Line in NYC. I had my feet up on the stage, and when he played "Riding With The King" on his J-200, it was bliss.
    John can rock with the best of them. Here's a deep cut from 30 years ago, "Doll Hospital", with Sonny Landreth on lead guitar:

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Riding With the King is my favorite of his albums, although I also love Bring the Family, Slow Turning, and Perfectly Good Guitar. I lost track of him after that. As a general rule, he seems to go back and forth between folky acoustic-based albums and gritty rock and roll ones.

11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

A rare performance. The first Goners tour didn't have a lot of Slow Turning material (it wasn't out yet), so it was BTF, a few new ones, and choice old tunes. Once Slow Turning came out, the old songs pretty much fell off the radar

12. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I love Two Bit Monsters, Ridin' With The King and Slow Turning.

13. davers

davers Forum Resident

Totally concur with the OP that his A&M area is classic stuff. Like many others here, I thnk Bring The Family and Slow Turning are very special records.

14. RandyB1961

RandyB1961 Go Dawgs!

Wow, it's been over 3 years since Terms Of My Surrender was released. Sure would love to hear some new Hiatt material soon.

Carserguev and jmrife like this.
  15. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Recent set list on current Slow Turning tour shows a couple of new songs! Not bad for a reunion tour w the Goners.

melstapler likes this.
  16. MagneticSouth1966

MagneticSouth1966 Forum Resident

Was front row for a Hiatt/Goners show in ATL in 1988 (Center Stage Theatre), just incredible stuff... they looked and sounded just like the "Doll Hospital" video above. Met and had a short chat with Hiatt after the show, he was tired but friendly. They only did BTF and ST material, which was a bummer as I loved Riding With The King and Warming Up to The Ice Age. BTF on vinyl is a glorious experience!!!

17. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

John Is the best song writer outside of Dylan, plus his band rocks

Instant Karma likes this.
  18. gckcrispy

gckcrispy Forum Resident

I second that. He's made some nice records lately, but "Terms of My Surrender" was his best in a long time.

19. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I read he recorded a new one for release this spring, although (honestly) I read that last winter, as well...

I love BTF/ST as much as anybody, and maintain they’re his peak, but the idea of hearing the whole ST live this spring does zilch for me as those songs have dominated his setlists for the past three decades already.

20. Thesmellofvinyl

Thesmellofvinyl Senior Member

I keep hoping I'll find a cassette edition of Little Head as I wait (hope) for that title to appear on LP.

21. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

John hiatt is consistent as hell. His albums are solid from outstanding ballads to straight rockers.

gotityet0 and melstapler like this.
  22. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Love slow turning, have it on mfsl cd.

23. augustwest

augustwest Forum Resident

Saw John Haitt perform at the Ford Theater in Los Angeles across from the Hollywood Bowl. It was right around the time he was getting well known here, when "Slug Line" had just been released.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Bring The Family is one of the best albums of the 80s. Slow Turning is not quite as good but still excellent.

I'm not familiar with his other work (and he's had a LONG career) but I remember the time in the late eighties when it looked like he'd make a commercial breakthrough via his major label signing. It never quite happened, though. He's largely been off my radar since.

25. spanky1

spanky1 Forum Resident

His version of MEMPHIS IN THE MEANTIME from this live cd is absolutely fabulous. It alone is worth buying the cd. I've seen several live versions on youtube, but nothing like the version on the Budokans cd. Is there a youtube clip similar to the cd version?

Instant Karma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.