John Bonham

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tedg65, May 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

He's not all bad then.

tedg65, keyXVII, luckyno13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Don't think I've seen this photo before. Pre moustache, Hendrix hair and Jason toddling suggests it's late 66, early 67.

Mook likes this.
  3. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

According to Jason's Instagram it's 1967, I'd guess the second half of the year (Jason was born on 15th July 1966).

keyXVII likes this.
  4. Overthehillsandfaraway

One of the things I'd love to see for a 50th anniversary event is an exhibition of previously unseen photos. Richard Cole has an extensive collection, several of which are in Barney Hoskyns' Zep book. And pics such as the one Jason posted there. I'm guessing Pat Bonham took the photo.

5. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Must be an problem with sting then, Bonhams in agreement with Copeland.

tedg65 likes this.
  6. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I've heard that the "Bonham threatening Sting" thing didn't happen the way history says it's gone down - no one actually threatened anyone. Or if Bonham did say anything, he was being silly.

Stewart Copeland has talked about how nice John Bonham was to them. He dug the Police a lot towards the end.

Stuart S and dkmonroe like this.
  7. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

According to what I've read, Bonham & his brother met The Police around 1978/79 & The Police were acting all arrogant towards him, when the two left the room, Mick Bonham turned to John & said something along the lines of, "Why didn't you tell the jumped up little ****s to **** off?" & John Bonham said he thought The Police were great & Led Zeppelin were just as arrogant when they were an up & coming 'young' band, 'Let them get on with it.'.

By all accounts he was prone to violence when he'd had a drink but I think someone has misread the Sting story.

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That photo almost looks like a painting. Perhaps a B&W photo touched up with marker?

9. dkmonroe

Isn't there some story about Bonham being interviewed and he wouldn't stop talking about how great The Police were and he suddenly started singing "Roxanne" at the top of his voice and wouldn't shut up? :laugh:

10. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I've not heard that one but he was a big fan by all accounts.

Stuart S and dkmonroe like this.
  11. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Oh well played sir :D

12. Overthehillsandfaraway

Supposedly at the Melody maker awards in 1979 where Zeppelin swept the board he went around saying The Police ought to have won best band and singing Message in a Bottle at top volume

dkmonroe likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

Thank you, I knew it was something like that!

14. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

May 31, 2018 : John Bonham would've been 70 today .....:cheers:

Billy_Sunday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.