Problems Ripping Doors "Perception" DVD-A's

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bubba-ho-tep, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well Thread Starter

I am trying to use DVD Audio Extractor to pull the hi-res stereo tracks from the Doors DVD-A so that I can listen to the 40th anniversary mixes on the go. Unfortunately, it spends about 4-5 seconds actually extracting and I end up with tiny files that contain milliseconds of actual music.

I've used AnyDVD to remove any copy protection so I don't think that's the issue. I've never had problems ripping any other DVD-A discs, just the Perception discs. Is there some unsurmountable compatibility issue with these?

2. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

You might need to change the folder that DVDAE is opening. I forget whether “Audio” or “Video” is the default, but sometimes I have to go in and change the folder to get the audio files to come up.

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure I used DVDAE to extract mine a few months ago when I got a Perception box second hand. I've had problems with it trying to rip audio from the video folder by default too; you need to rip from the audio folder.

4. bubba-ho-tep

Hmm. I’ve never run into that issue but it’s definitely worth checking out.

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

If you can’t get it to work post or PM me and i’ll get one of my Perception DVDAs off the shelf and try and remind myself how I ripped it. If DVDAE doesn’t work I tend to rip the whole disc to hard drive with DVDFab and then run DVDAE on the decrypted files. Plan C is DVDFab followed by tsMuxer, and Plan D (which is actually now Plan A for Blu Ray and I can’t remember if it works with DVDA) is MakeMKV followed by Audiomuxer. I like a challenge...

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  6. bubba-ho-tep

No-go on the DVDAE. It still won't read the disc correctly, even in the Audio folder. I downloaded and tried DVDFab but it only copied the Video folder, not the Audio folder.

7. bubba-ho-tep

Problem solved, I think. It seems that AnyDVD was wreaking havoc with the DVD-A rip. Once I turned it off, the discs ripped fine.

Sevoflurane and head_unit like this.
  8. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

I'm trying to do the same but my Morrison Hotel DVD-A isn't playing and can't be read. It's a real bummer!

9. bubba-ho-tep

That's the one I keep having problems with.

10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I was having trouble ripping the multichannel files from my Miles Davis Tutu DVD-AUDIO disc a few days ago. I ended up switching to my laptop and a different DVD rom drive and used DVD-AUDIO Explorer and it worked fine. Not sure why it didn't work with DVDAE or DVD-AUDIO Explorer on my new PC. I was just happy to get it ripped so I didn't do any further investigation. Maybe anydvd was causing the problem...

11. Captain Rogers

Huh, maybe it's a defective batch. I had issues with Strange Days too but at least that reads from time to time. Morrison Hotel won't even play. Have you contacted Rhino? I heard they issued a few recplament discs back in 2013.

12. Captain Rogers

Not a bad idea. I'll try that. I have a few laptops.

13. Captain Rogers

Did MH eventually work?

14. bubba-ho-tep

No. All of the other ones did. I tried everything to get MH to work with no success.

15. Captain Rogers

We got to figure something out. I just acquired a set of the Infinite from a guy in my neighborhood who says he also has the Perception. I've been hesitant to ask him to borrow it. I may have to as a last resort. I emailed Rhino to inquire about replacements. I got a feeling I won't hear back from them.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  16. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

From personal experience ANYDVD needs to be turned off for DVD A's (and turned on for BD A's).

17. Hymie the Robot

I agree. I was able to repeat the problem on my main PC and both DVDAE and DVD-AUDIO Explorer worked once I turned it off.

18. Captain Rogers

Thanks everyone.

19. bubba-ho-tep

This still didn't work for Morrison Hotel.

Captain Rogers likes this.
  20. Hymie the Robot

I have ripped it a long time ago from the original box with the peep hole. I will see if it still rips on my Windows 8 or 10 machine later tonight if I get the chance and post back.

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
  21. Captain Rogers

Same for me. No luck. And now L.A. WOMAN. So I'm out two discs. Looks like I'll have to but another set. Very dissapointing. I'll have to drop another 200 bucks to get a set.

22. Hymie the Robot

I was able to again rip Morrison Hotel on my decade old Dell, Windows seven machine using an old version of DVD-AUDIO Extractor! No go on my Windows eight.one, or ten.

I have not booted up this PC in three or four years. That it even started is amazing. I ripped it to direct stream demux. This PC doubles as a space heater and I live in Florida.

Captain Rogers and bubba-ho-tep like this.
  23. Captain Rogers

Send us a rip BRO!!

bubba-ho-tep likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.