Shure SC35C w/ N35X light tracking stylus....initial impressions very good!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JazzPolice, Feb 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattyW

MattyW Forum Resident

Ah, I did the same thing with my last SC35C after reading about someone else doing this. That cart is now with a mate in the Northern Territory. The open body allows a wide range of styli to fit though you need blue tack to keep those with a thinner shank (like VN35HE) securely in place. I think it was your post prompted me to try it actually. Glad I did :)

2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Just scored a NOS SC35c and put it on a Technics Sl-1900 to see what all the fuss was about: I am very impressed! I had a Denon Dl-103 on it and after a week I've had no desire to put it back on. I think the bass and highs are better on the Shure with tonality being about the same. The Denon sounds a bit bigger to me and seems to have a bit more separation. But what has me ecstatic is that my worn records sound like new again: it just seems to bypass groove damage; surface nicks and ticks are still there but are much more recessed in the background. I am tracking at 4.5g with a 2.5g headshell weight (couldn't get the requisite tracking force without it).

3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Can't beat a USA-made NOS Shure:righton:

4. cjc

cjc Senior Member

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The N35x on M25c body is very nice performance wise, you'd like it. Much like the M35x. I liked this combo better than the N35x in a SC35c body.

6. Thom Di Pol

Thom Di Pol Member

Can you tell me the VTF range for the JICO e007439? I cannot seem to find it anywhere, not even on the JICO site. I currently am using an sc35c with the n35x on a 220 s-shaped universal tonearm with your run of the mill Gemini headshell that you see copied by so many companies. For some reason I can only get it to track well if the anti skate is set all the way up (about 4 or so) and the vtf is set to 1.7. My tonearm is balanced properly. I discarded the weight that the sc35c came with as I did not think I needed it with the masses of my tonearm, headshell and cartridge. Was this a mistake? My counterweight is pretty far from the pivot point. Forgive me, but wouldn't more weight on the headshell mean the counterweight would be even further back from the pivot point? Anyway my logic was/is that a stylus that tracks in a higher range than the n35x would be a better choice considering my plight. I appreciate your thoughts.

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Jico will give you that info if you contact them. I wish they just posted the specs of their styli on the website.

8. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I'm not sure if this helps, but I did buy directly from Jico and I remember them telling me 4.5-5.0grams. I don't know the model number but it was the only one they sold on their site specifically for the SC35C.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.