Blade Runner 2049

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ponkine, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Finally got round to seeing this. The original is a classic. Saw 'The Final Cut' or whatever they're calling the last version that came out in a small cinema a few years ago. Somewhere near Melbourne in a cinema with two seater settees! I'll watch it again at some point but I'll not be buying a copy. Just didn't grab me. Perhaps I expected too much. It all seems to be about the sequels these days. 6/10.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There's no question in my mind that the original was a much better movie, but the sequel is also a very good movie that worked on so many levels.

3. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

I'll watch it again this week. Have the week off to squeeze in a few novels and films in the evenings. It looked good, looked fantastic. My girlfriend is working nights so I'll have a bit more leeway with volume knob!

4. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

It's not the sequel I was expecting, but it does play better the second time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    robertawillisjr likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Great director. Terrific film. The original 1982 (FINAL CUT) by Ridley Scott is a sci-fi masterpiece. Will Villeneuve's sequel have the same impact? No, but it's another fine effort from him. Either of them on UltraHD, by the way, are all the more impressive in a private screening room!

Hopefully, nearly everyone posting here will check out each of the following (from Villeneuve):

Incendies
    Prisoners
    Enemy
    Sicario
    Arrival

SuntoryTime and Gethan Wall like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I don't think replicants are actually robots as such. It's not ever fully explained but I think they are a type of genetically altered human clone type thing. I think they are all organic.

Zep Fan likes this.
  7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Very entertaining film:cheers:

Gethan Wall likes this.
  8. They are organic as Tyrell himself discusses in the original film when Batty asks why they can’t live longer (he discusses the various dna mutations that killed various replicants. They are genetically engineered to skip childhood and adolescence hence the need for the false memories as a “grounding” for them and as a means to relate totheir masters. I can’t recall if Dick’s novel had the artificial memories-I believe writer Hampton Fancher may have c9me up with that element for the script. In Dick’s original novel they aren’t, however, organic but androids (or Andys as Dick refers to them). The concept of Decker possibly being a replicant himself was,played with in Dick’s novel but it’s pretty much concluded that he isn’t. Interestingly, Fancher (except for an early draft of the script)and Peeples both in their script never intended for their t9 be any suggestion of Deckard being a replicant. That was totally Scott’s idea and he did after the script was c9mpleted.

I feel that the second film is almost as good as the original film and c9mt8nues to build the world that Scott established. Given Scott’s track record lately, I feel that It was better he didn’t direct the film myself as it brought a fresh voice who could inj3ct some of his personality into the film. It’s rare that a franchise sequel can hold its own with the original. While the script is, in my opinion, better realized (less writers doinf rewrites), the world building is what truly sets Scott’s film apart. Ridley is only as good as his script as he focuses primarily on the themes and visuals in the film and less to narrative logic.

9. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

You know what the sequel lacked that the first movie had? Really cool replicants.

Ghostworld likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't like "2049" any more the 2nd time than the 1st.

Might've liked it less, honestly, because I knew there would never be a payoff for all the tedium it made me suffer! :D

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, another dangerous replicant would have been nice. The woman was tough, but looked more like a boring company exec than a wild "Pris" automaton.

I'm kinda bummed out he's not getting as much directing Kudos for this film as he deserves. Spectacular looking and evenly directed. Makes most of the other nominees films look like kids' stuff.

wayneklein and Mr. Grieves like this.
  12. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Well disappointment is the name of the game this go around, I mean think about how K felt after all that build up

13. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

There is an interesting interview with Villeneuve in this months Empire magazine, including reference to a potential follow up film.

14. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I agree, every shot like a beautiful painting. That opening scene was the best in the film. I'm just afraid they're going to turn this into another franchise like Star Trek or Star Wars.

Mr. Grieves and Ghostworld like this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Although I wouldn’t mind seeing another installment from Villeneuve at this point. :righton:

16. Let’s hope not but I do think one other film could examine the themes well and provide a bit of closure to the whole story.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I really liked it. Stunning in 4K. I think the orig, 2049, Ex Machina and Tron Legacy make for a nice film fest weekend

jamesc and SuntoryTime like this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I was right there with you until Tron Legacy! :) May I suggest a substitution? Moon.

SuntoryTime and Felix Martinez like this.
  19. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

I love Moon also!

Deesky likes this.
  20. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Boring
    Fell asleep , twice.

mj_patrick likes this.
  21. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

You could watch Morgan, directed by Ridley Scott's son, which is almost a Blade Runner prequel.

Felix Martinez likes this.
  22. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

They already made that movie. It was called Blade Runner. Then they had to retire all of the cool replicants because they were going rogue. The new movie is about what happens next. Why would you do a retread?

I'm ready to be piled upon: I think I like this one is at least as good as, if not better than the original.

John K.

23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Has the 2039 short film been included in the extras?

24. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That's how I reacted to the original film, until I realized how great it is.

With that said, it can still put me to sleep!

kanakaris and thegage like this.
  25. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

As much as I like the original, and how pointless and unnecessary I initially felt a sequel would be.... I think Blade Runner 2049 compares quite well to the original film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.