Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Isn't this the recording where Reiner finally went too far in his asides during the rehearsal and Rubinstein refused to work with him again?

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

David Oistrakh/Sviatoslav Richter - Brahms Sonata No.2/Prokofiev Sonata No.1 (Angel/Melodiya)
    Recorded at the Moscow Conservatory 1972.

Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Continuing with my cassettes from library sources, I played my favorite Requiem, the one by Faure, a 1986 DGG recording of the Philharmonia Orchestra & Chorus under Carlo Maria Giulini with Kathleen Battle & Andreas Schmidt as soloists. Followed that with another DGG recording of Maria Joao Pires playing Chopin Nocturnes, made 1995-96.

crispi, ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

IIRC, it was a recording of the Tchaikovsky Concerto which was later. The recording was scrapped and the two never worked together again. I think I read it in Rubinstein, A Life. I need to check the book.

ubertrout likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

And I have the following CD twofer, one of many Chopin Nocturnes in my collection ...

[​IMG]

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

That's it.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now on the turntable, record 5 from "Gregorian Chant" performed by the Benedictine Abbey Munsterschwarzsach on Archiv.

Side 9 - Dedication of a Church
    Side 10 - Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

[​IMG]

Marzz, crispi and ShallowMemory like this.
  8. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, first listen to record 4 from "Musicke Of Sundrie Kindes - An Introduction to Renaissance Secular Music 1480-1620" performed by The Consort Of Musicke directed by Anthony Rooley on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby - soprano
    John York Skinner - countertenor
    Kevin Smith - countertenor
    Martyn Hill - tenor
    Paul Elliot - tenor
    David Thomas - bass

Side 7:
    Melancholy and mirth in English music from 1480-1620. A fusion of paradoxes creating a unique musical language through borrowing unique elements from the continent.

Side 8:
    The which led European society into a new age were reflected in musical styles first in Italy c. 1590 and then rapidly through the whole of Europe.

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  9. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Brahms - Symphony No. 4" performed by the Cleveland Orchestra led by George Szell on CBS Great Performances.

[​IMG]

Marzz, J.A.W., Wes H and 3 others like this.
  10. Thomas R

Thomas R Forum Resident

Living in Sweden I always ordered LPs from USA, at least when it came to Columbia and RCA. The European pressings had narrower dynamic range. When the CD arrived I continued to buy American imports as they still sounded better than the European ones. The Japanese were good too.

11. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition/Ravel Bolero" performed by The Philadelphia Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy on RCA "Legendary Performers" LP.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

BBC Music Magazine CD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, Bubbamike, royzak2000 and 5 others like this.
  13. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Smetana - Ma Vlast" performed by the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Valclav Smetacek on ProArte.

Side 1: Vysehrad
    Side 2: Vltava (Moldau) / Sarka
    Side 3: From Bohemia's Woods And Fields / Tabor
    Side 4: Blanik

[​IMG]

14. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

This morning I have been warming up the system with Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I. :agree:

And from one great American institution to another, the harpsichordist, Alan Curtis. This chap will no doubt be familiar to some of you, but is actually a recent and most welcome discovery for me.
    Described as the “the avant-gardist of early music” he devoted his career to the Baroque and early instruments, indeed reviving the use of "the chitarrone, a large, lute-like instrument, and the split-key harpsichord, a model in which the notes on the keyboard are divided in two." Lucky guy ended up living in Venice surrounded by his instrument collection!

Just scored a sealed copy of his “Pieces de Clavecin” by Louis Couperin which just oozes Gallic Baroque atmosphere in spades. Highly recommended.
    [​IMG]

15. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

[​IMG]

16. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Denon Columbia Japan COC-70531) 2003 .... still marveling about the (still underappreciated) capabilities of Nikita Magaloff .... his late recordings (this one is from 1991) are both affluent and wordly-wise ....

Six String, royzak2000, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  17. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

18. bluemooze

19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I have this excellent CD by him. Originally released in 1975.

[​IMG]

crispi, bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  20. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Wow - I would love to have seen them in concert back in the day ... Now I just need to find a mint copy of 'Crime'. Timeless songs, awesome production and sound quality - the standard releases sound amazing, so if the Japanese are better that will be even more stunning on the new rig!

21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Reminds me of Top Gun era Tom Cruise ... :D

22. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

This is a great quote that should go down in history!
    I'm trying to think of anything that I wouldn't buy British. Back in the 70's and 80's cars for sure, as they were as reliable as a chocolate teapot.
    Of course we don't have so much industry anymore, we are more focused on services. The few things that are made in this country are much better quality now, as lessons of the past have on the whole been learnt.

crispi likes this.
  23. bluemooze

Now on the turntable, "Chopin - Seven Polonaises" performed by Leonard Pennario on Angel.

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have very few recordings by him, mostly on Angel ...

bluemooze likes this.
  25. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Ah the days when that B.L abbreviation had another meaning known to sniggering schoolboys :agree:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    julesd68 likes this.