Wind River

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reeler

reeler Forum Resident

Pretty much agree with the first 2 posts, the trailer makes the movie seem a lot better than it actually is, I chalk it up as another film that had more potential than it realizes. The tone just seemed off for this kind of story. The gun fight scene climax was anything but.
    What seemed a promising and well executed dark mystery film devolves into feeling like a paint by numbers TV movie thriller. I've seen episodes of Longmire that are better than this.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  2. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Olsen's fish-out-of-water (or Florida) character worked for my wife and me. She was believable and tough w/o any action movie roundhouse kicks, etc. Renner nailed the stoic, do what's right, damaged cowboy character. Maybe a bit too "pure" of a character, but Renner pulled off this strong male role. The contrast between tracking animals and tracking humans was perfect.

As with any Sheridan flick, we've got arguments over law enforcement jurisdiction. Love it.

I was not a fan of Nick Cave's soundtrack work, but he's getting much better and less intrusive.

BTW, Olsen was great in Martha Marcy May Marlene. I'm a fan.

jsayers likes this.
  3. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

Finally saw this film, loved it, one of the best pictures of 2017 imo. It had a great undercurrent about it and the character development was stellar.

4. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

No Oscar nominations - criminal!

jojopuppyfish and Mainline461 like this.
  5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

It seems as if, generally, you don't get many nominations for movies that didn't make beaucoups of $$$$!

jsayers likes this.
  6. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I agree completely. I only recently saw this picture and when I saw Harvey Weinstein as one of the producers I knew the film was doomed for any Oscar consideration. A shame as this film is deserving ... much more than say Get Out, which was entertaining to many but Oscar material ... don't think so.

jsayers likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:confused:

Of the 9 BP noms, only 2 - "Dunkirk" and "Get Out" - did well financially. The rest have made $47 million or less so far.

Those totals will go up due to the noms, but 7 of the 9 will still remain well under $100 million.

Movies that make "beaucoups of $$$$" are the exception among BP noms, not the rule...

8. Rachael Bee

This year is a bit of an aberration to the trend of the past 20 years. I'd like to see a new trend, such as actual best movie!

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Still disagree - Oscar has always tended to nominate movies that don't make a lot of money.

2017 had 2 decent-sized hits - "Hidden Figures" and "La La Land" - and "Arrival" cracked $100m, but most of the movies didn't do much business.

2016 had a few hits, but 2015 had only one: "American Sniper".

The BP noms usually have 1 or 2 movies that do pretty well at the box office, but most of the noms are "prestige flicks" that don't make a lot of money...

10. Rachael Bee

Maybe you're right? You probably pay more attention to the Oscars than me. I loathe them. I've seldom been impressed that the best pictures actually won the best picture award.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Finally watched this the other day. Thought Renner and Greene were exceptional (but hasn't the latter got big?) but I think the OP was right about the 'hail of gunfire' and the notion that Sheridan wanted to say something deeper about life on the rez was pretty much sidetracked in favour of action, although there were a few telling scenes. I wanted to like it more than I did. I thought Olsen was good too (in fact, it was well-acted throughout, especially Julia Jones), but considering Renner is often dismissed as the also-ran in The Avengers, I was really surprised how really good he was.

jsayers likes this.
  12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought this was a really good movie. It certainly wasn’t perfect but enjoyable. I thought both Renner and Olsen did well in their roles.

jsayers likes this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Really good movie. The showdown was a bit strange but other than that, no complains. Jeremy Renner was excellent. So was the beautiful snowy mountain scenery.

GMfan87' likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.