The First Song That You Remember

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

I distinctly remember hearing "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" when I was four (in 1972), in a restaurant my parents used to go to in Manhattan Beach, CA

Road Ratt and anth67 like this.
  2. Bebstrel

Bebstrel Old-Timey Member

Music was always playing in my house when I was young, as both of my parents were musicians. However, I remember a time when I was about three (1978-79) sitting in the middle of the church sanctuary (an Episcopal cathedral where my mother was the organist at the time) and hearing my mom practice the Widor Toccata. I had never heard anything quite so intense and moving in my young life.

Crimson Witch and notesofachord like this.
  3. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

kevinsponge likes this.
  4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Mine is not Rock related so i guess I'm older than you...the very first song I can remember listening to and being obsessed with is a 50's tune called Marina (and I forget the name of the singer). It was an Italian Pop song and it also holds my first memories of watching a record spin round and round on a Hi Fi turntable (with a 78, no less). I think the singer's last name was Granatta.

5. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

The first rock song I remember is probably I'm a Believer by the Monkees. Undoubtedly, I heard other songs before that, but that one made an impression. That song really started my obsession with rock music.

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

It was a yellow vinyl 45 called “John F Kennedy”. It was a song about his life. One of the lines was, “At age 43 he was elected to the presidency”. Anyone else remember it?

7. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

The first two songs I actually remember hearing and recognizing and liking are Queen's We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions and Bob Seger's Night Moves.

Road Ratt likes this.
  8. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

I believe that would be Jesus Loves me from Sunday School.

9. jojo getback

jojo getback Forum Resident

I admit it - Im old !

10. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Either Hey Jude or Neil Diamonds Cherry Cherry.At best as I can remember.Born in 1961.

Road Ratt likes this.
  11. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Bobby Darin. Beyond the Sea.
    My Dad loved his crooners, Sinatra, Jim Nabors, Matt Monroe.
    I still remember the yellow and white Atco 45.
    My classically trained pianist Mom had many of the RCA Mercury classical pressings from the late 50s.
    Between both I had a great musical childhood.
    Take care, John M.

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

The Spider Man theme song.

anth67 likes this.
  13. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

"Cherish" by the Association (I must have been about 6 when that song was a hit.)

14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I would have heard many songs previously but 'Jailhouse Rock' by Elvis was the first important one for me.

15. Dante Fontana

Dante Fontana Forum Resident

At first, thought mine was Those Were The days too, but definitely remember Cliff doing Congratulations on eurovision and Cindarella Rockafella around that time too. Both were earlier. I also knew Puppet On A String when I was very young and that was earlier still, but don't remember anything contemporaneous with that so perhaps I heard it later. Cindarella rockafella just about wins in that case.

16. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I don't remember the first song I remember but I do remember the first few songs I liked

Green Onion - Booker T & The MG's
    Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds
    Monday Monday - The Mamas & The Papas

@ 1966 so I would have been 10 years old.

Still love all 3 songs.

Road Ratt and Grant like this.
  17. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I have the same response to that song and I'm 51, not becuase of the guitar but due to the fact that the song blows.

Smokin Chains and Kingsley Fats like this.
  18. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Either 'I Saw Mummy Kissing Santa Claus', or something by Stanley Holloway like 'Marksman Sam'. Not sure I was a child of 9 or 10 in England at the time.

19. kevin

kevin Senior Member

All Right Now by Free around 1970[I was 3 at the time]

20. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Ob La Di Ob La Da - the Marmalade's cover version on CBS, a number one hit in Britain in early 1969, so I was one and a half.

I can still see the orange label spinning round on my Mum's dansette record player.

For a long time after that, I thought the colour orange was called 'Ob La Di.' :)

Didn't realise it was a Beatles song until I was about 13.

21. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

The one before the last one that I heard before the first time I ever heard it.

22. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

really hard to be certain but i think it may have been " she loves you " as my earliest datable memories are from 1963.

its kind of overlooked today as an early primitive Beatles song but it had a similar impact in the UK as Hold your hand had in the states, plus its the perfect two minute pop song and just in case it could be dismissed as too simple they throw in that wonderful unresolved end chord & not what anybody would have expected to hear in a pop song back then

Before SLY they were just interesting new kids on the block, after they were a UK phenomenon ( the world would follow after IWTHYH )

23. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

My sister who graduated in 1957 when I was only 3 had a few records. I remember Itsy Bitsy Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and Purple People Eater and The Chipmunk Song (Christmas Don't Be Late).
    Also something around 1957-58 with "diddy diddy bottom chu" in the lyrics. What would that have been? I guess she liked novelty songs.

Road Ratt likes this.
  24. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

not sure i totally get it, probably would have been a Disney song? Jungle Book: I wanna be like you... or a Civil War song? When Johnny comes marching home?

i don't know... something when i was 3 or 4 i guess - 1965ish

25. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

The first song I really remember was my favorite song when I was either 4 or 5. It was "The Night Chicago Died" by Paper Lace. I must have really liked it and driven my parents crazy about it because my parents bought me the 45 which I wore out on my Mickey Mouse record player. To this day I still love this song, mostly because of the good memories as a small child.

Road Ratt likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.