Star Wars: Episode VIII (The Last Jedi) the Great Divide Poll!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ghostworld, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wing Thumbs for me. So my vote doesnt count. I coukd be a troll and thumbsdown this movie, but I wont. Some parts good to very good. Others hmmm, yeah. And yet others...yuck.

Im with the score of a 5-6 out of 10.

I wish the director had another year to bring this film together. It was too smashed up. Even Johnson said he wanted Phasma to have a bigger role but couldnt because there was just too much already...

2. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Thumbs up, in my top three of the series so far!

Sondek likes this.
  3. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I haven't seen this yet, nor am I all that excited about it. "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return Of The Jedi" were the only two I really loved. I absolutely hated Rogue One and I found all the others (including the first Star Wars film) to be just ok. The only reason I keep watching them is just to see where they go with it. After seeing "Rogue One", I might simply stop watching them altogether.

4. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Empire and Jedi were so incredible seeing them in the theaters!
    I loved the first one too.I was 3 1/2 years old.I remember freaking out thinking people were really being harmed in the film but also in awe of all of the imagination!

5. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Going by the score so far, not so much a great divide. 70.4% positive is pretty good really.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm a Prequel-hater, 30-something SW fan of the original edits, and I approve of this movie. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sondek and malcolm reynolds like this.
  7. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Saw it for the second time today and have to say I liked it even more.

Sondek and gary191265 like this.
  8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Ha, we left the EU on far less...

Dave Gilmour's Cat likes this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

48/52. That's a great divide.

10. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I'd never take those odd at a bookies!

11. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

At the end of the day, two opposable "thumbs up" for TLJ from me. While I have several rants about it in the other forum, there are many things I loved in this movie, particularly:

-the overall cinematography, and the set of Snokes chamber
    -Luke's story arc, and how it ended for him
    -spectacular space battles and visuals, perhaps some of the best ever

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

That's what she said!

David Campbell, Ghostworld and Vidiot like this.
  13. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

First:. Most folks seem to like the film with reservations. The reservations seem to be with plot direction and character development.

Second: All of these would have been easily dealt with if they wrote or at least deeply plotted all three films at the same time with the same team of writers. For some reason film and television seem to default to "let's focus on the one in front of us and let others figure out future installments later." That leads to piecemeal storytelling and whipsaw character development that jerks back and forth at the whim of the current creative team in charge and that leaves the audience feeling that they have more invested in the series than the folks in control of it, and they are right!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    David Campbell and eddiel like this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member Thread Starter

I think so. It's the bottom line. And the guys here are serious film fans.

mpayan and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I finally saw the movie last week. Was not impressed at all. I'd give it a 3 out of 5. There were some parts I really liked but overall there was a lot of...gunk.

bru87tr, MekkaGodzilla and mpayan like this.
  16. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

It was technically well made. I though it had some fundamental plot problems and character development issues. As others have pointed out, it really shows that they had no idea what they were going to do. There were some fun scenes but it was just too overstuffed. Thumbs sideways.

17. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

A mild thumbs up from me. I liked it more than The Force Awakens.

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Down here.

I loved Rogue One but not impressed with this one.

delmonaco likes this.
  19. Haven't seen it, but a major SW geek I know saw it today and thought it sucked.

bru87tr likes this.
  20. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

i really liked The Latest Jedi

thumbs up for me!

Encuentro and Plan9 like this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Loved it.

Encuentro likes this.
  22. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

Didnt like it but Im not sure I would thumbs down it.. (if that makes sense) - Like the prequels it just reeks of a TM Investment with nice production values- I dont really find it has anything to do with the original stuff and comes across as simply any generic christmas popcorn blockbuster..

I know its probably heresy but as its obvious this series is going to run and run now - I almost wish JJ had done a ST reboot to the whole thing to disconnect it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

“ST” as in Star Trek-style reboot? The upcoming Johnson trilogy will be something akin to that, but as far as a reboot involving original trilogy characters is concerned, I seriously doubt that was ever a consideration. The vast majority of fans wanted a sequel trilogy that picks up after the events of Return of the Jedi.

24. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Thumbs up definitely but don't think I really loved it. Liked it more than The Force Awakens & the prequels, but still not quite up there with the original trilogy.

25. DannyC

DannyC Forum Resident

True and I agree - but its not really what we got (we got a mix of both really a reboot and some "guest appearances")- The fact is too much time has now passed for that to ever gel into place

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.