OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well Vidiot, you've done it again! I figure that if you can't trust a member who actually works in the "business", then who can you trust? Last time I bought a new TV I followed your lead and advice and I bought (and I also plan to keep in another room), a Panasonic Plasma VT 50 and just this morning, I went out and bought an LG OLED 55" C7, after almost making the grave mistake yesterday of buying a 55" Samsung QLED. It was sitting here in my den yesterday, when I came upon this thread and your recommendation! So, first thing this morning, that Samsung went back and the LG is now sitting in front of me and I plan to open it soon and enjoy it. After I get about 100 or so hours on it, I will have it calibrated, to make it really soar visually! Thanks, as always, for sharing your great advice, I appreciate it!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Vidiot and woody like this.
  2. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I have an LG OLED65E6, which I bought for the passive 3D, and it's an incredible TV. It has the best picture of any TV I've owned.

However, I won't be doing any gaming on it, watching a cable news channel with a fixed logo for hours at a time or using it as a computer monitor as it's being reported by several owners that their LG OLED has suffered permanent image burn-in. I haven't had any problems and don't expect to as I've been overly-cautious about it. I just thought some of you might want to know. Since many of you are coming from plasma, you probably already know the drill. :)

BTW, RTINGS.com is trying to quantify this problem by running some long term experiments. If you're an owner, you may want to watch the video, noting well that their initial test conditions are pretty extreme. Remember, they were trying to force the issue. I am looking forward to their current test (on 2017 LG OLED models) since they are using "normal" test screens - the type of viewing I do. Hopefully, the results will be better and we can all calm down.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Also true black containing the curves.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The answer is YES, OLEDs can be burned in under some conditions:

It's not necessarily permanent, but I wouldn't play a video game on one and leave the display up for an hour. There are test modes (at least with the LGs) where you can "wipe" the screen clean with a white bar for a period of time to minimize any burns. I haven't found this to be a real problem yet, but I do avoid leaving up timecode readouts or any bright logos for more than a few minutes.

I think the Samsungs are also said to be pretty good, and I've been told that LG is making the OLED panels. It's a good question as to how closely they perform in the real world.

5. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Sony Blu-rays have a hidden one. At the movie menu, press 7669 and you will get the test patterns.

I haven't tested a Sony 4K UHD, but will tomorrow to see if they have it too.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yep. Here is some info from LG's website about image retention and mitigation strategies.

LG OLED TVs come with special features and settings to preserve image quality and prevent burn in and image retention. First, there is a screen saver feature that will turn on automatically if the TV detects that a static image is displayed on screen after approximately two minutes. There are also two options – available in the Picture Mode Settings within the Smart Picture menu – that can be used to preserve image quality. The first of these is the Clear Panel Noise feature that preserves the quality of the image on the display panel by resetting the TV so that it clears the pixels. This feature can be turned on when needed within the settings mentioned above. The second feature which is automatically employed is the Screen Shift feature which moves the screen slightly at regular intervals to preserve image quality.

Note that the Samsung QLEDs are not OLED panels. The QLEDs are LCD panels with quantum dots (the QLED part). So the comparison is between LCD and OLED technologies, which are very different.

But yes, if Samsung does have real OLED models, then the panels will be supplied by LG (just like for all the other manufacturers).

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sorry, I misread "QLED" as "OLED." My bad. (Fuzzy vision this time of night.)

I think LG is among the few OLED manufacturers in the world, and most of the major brands selling consumer OLED sets are buying the panels from them (so that would include the Panasonics and the Sonys). Samsung does have an OLED plant, but I'm not sure what the status is. Sony has made small runs of OLED panels for their uber-expensive BVM-X300 broadcast monitor ($40K), but it's a slightly different kind of OLED panel than what LG makes. Apple is gearing up to buy tons and tons of OLED panels for iPhones, Apple Watches, and forthcoming displays, so that's one reason for the increase in OLED manufacturing. Story on Samsung's OLED development...

Samsung Is Building the World's Largest OLED Plant

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that LG is the sole producer of consumer OLED TV panels.

I'm pretty sure they abandoned OLED TV panels for a few years now, which is why LG is the sole supplier. I don't know what to make of the article you linked to - it doesn't really gel with anything I've heard of recently. Unless what they're talking about is OLED mobile/tablet screens, which makes a lot more sense because they pretty much own that space right now. They seem to make superior mobile OLED screens than even LG - go figure.

My other source of confusion with that link is that Samsung is actively developing a rival technology to OLEDs called microLED (with better attributes). They showed off a large demo panel at the CES.

Samsung 'The Wall' is a 146" TV based on microLED technology - FlatpanelsHD

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The article I posted was from June 2017, so it's not exactly old. It could well be it's going to take a year or two to get the plant fully functional. I was told by an insider some months ago that LG's OLED plant cost them nearly $10 billion and required five years of experimentation to figure out how to make the OLED panels in quantity, and it was a really, really tough chore that many companies (including Sharp, Panasonic, and Sony) had abandoned.

I think the reality is that the consumer market is dominated by LCD right now, and the vast mass-market doesn't care about better picture quality with OLED if it costs three times more. I like to believe there's always a segment of the market that will pay more for better quality, but we kind of get into the same argument pro & con plasma from 7-8 years ago.

10. Some months ago I got a new 49" Samsung 4K HDR QLED set which I got at a very good price (950 €, a bargain by Spanish' standards), I bought it as an interim set waiting for all the "HDR Affaire" to clear and get a cheaper and higher quality OLED in around 3 years. I'm very happy with my QLED now once it broke in (it took over a month, its picture was a dissapointment at first) and I don't consider my set as interim anymore. I could have waited around 6 months to save more money and get an OLED but I always have the feeling that its full potential and technology is not really there yet, I think OLED is a work in progress everytime I look at one.
    By the way, what's the main difference between a conventional LED panel and a QLED panel? Are QLEDs edge lit?

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't know why you would think that. It's very much an established (and superior) technology, right now.
    It's more accurate to call them LCD panels, not LED panels, as it's the liquid crystals filtering light that define the technology. And yes, QLEDs are edge lit, which isn't great for HDR, in fact, it's the least optimal.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. You mean that QLED panels don't have Full Array Local Dimming? Then QLEDs are doing a great job at displaying HDR, I'm not saying it's the best HDR but a damn good way of displaying HDR without FALD.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Right.
    I'm not saying that Samsung QLEDs don't have a subjectively good looking picture - they certainly do (with which the wide color gamut helps a lot). But to do a proper comparison of the relative strengths and weaknesses of what HDR is capable of, you would need to do a side-by-side comparison with an OLED using the same source, and then you would definitely see major differences (from contrast, absolute black levels to lack of light bleed/haloing, etc).

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    White_Noise, Vidiot and Kiko1974 like this.
  14. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Resurrecting this old thread for some advise. I've just got a factory second LG OLED 65C6 TV. Yes I'm one of the few 3D fans so thought I should get one before it's too late.

Well, the TV seems great, however, the 3D has terrible ghosting on anything that isn't in sharp focus. I've reset the TV to factory settings and it's still terrible.

This TV is replacing an LG OLED 55EG910T which had perfect 3D. Anyone have any idea'son how to fix the problem?

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The ghosting, or crosstalk, results when the left and right eye images are not synced exactly with the LCD shutters or polarized filters in 3D glasses. This is mainly down to the hardware processing in the TV itself, so there's not much you can do. The 55" set might have better 3D processing capabilities then the 65"...

You could try various custom settings and fiddle with brightness, contrast, saturation, and sharpness levels while auditioning 3D content. Maybe also check any motion processing settings.

I can't think of anything else to try...

16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Which LUT box do you have? I have the Murideo Prisma (2 - actually), but they're only good for 1080p. The 2018 LG OLEDs will have direct access to the internal 3D LUTs via CalMAN. I may have to pick up a 2018 to play around with this functionality.

Last week, I picked up the 65" C7 and it's wonderful. After some minor tweaking of the grayscale, and locking in the brightness/contrast, the picture is superb. Finally found a TV that beats my 9.5 year old Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD! Very happy with the price/image quality ration. 4K is stunning on this set, much better than my previous Samsung 4K 55" set. Now, I just need to figure out if there's more to be gained from HDR/Dolby Vision calibration. I may have to invest in a Murideo DV signal generator... time will tell...

The LG OLED does everything your VT50 does, but better :)

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I wouldn't blame the set itself - or at least not that model/size set.

I have a 65" C6 and the 3D is awesome, so it's not an inherent flaw with that model.

All I can think it that there's a flaw with the actual TV scobb purchased. I've never heard anyone complain about 3D on the 65" C6s - people rave about it!

scobb likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm currently using the Blackmagic Design Mini-Teranex as a LUT box and HD-SDI -> HDMI converter.

I haven't used the Panasonic BT300 Plasma for more than 7 months, having purchased the 55" C7 OLED back in July. I kept the BT300 in storage "just in case," since it was still in reasonable shape. I may be investing in the 65" C7 for a different room in West LA in a few weeks if some projects come in.

19. If you havent already, try updating the firmware. Then reconfigure the settings. If things are still messed up you might need hardware repairs and that set may still be covered on the manufacturers warranty. Good luck.

Vidiot and scobb like this.
  20. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And that is why I bought the set! I'm just very surprised that the 3D is unwatchable (no amount of fine tuning is going to get it close to even good), I'll call LG on Monday and see what their thoughts are.

21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good luck! It really does have to be a defect with your particular set...

22. Laura Chalkley

Laura Chalkley New Member

I know this is an older thread but we are looking at getting one of these OLED tvs and I too have heard of this zipdeals website. Did anyone from here actually go thru with getting one from them? The prices are remarkably lower but I'm getting mixed reviews with everything I've read so far.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was using a Blackmagic Design Mini-Teranex HD-SDI -> HDMI converter, which has a 3D LUT available for processing. However, once we got the LG C8, I had the calibration engineer load a custom LUT directly into that set (one for SDR and one for HDR, all inputs including 4K), so we're covered.

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It looks like my old trusty Panasonic Viera Plasma got hit with lightning yesterday. I've been googling troubleshooting for a repair bt it most likely will involve soldering, etc. My soldering skills aren't what they used to be and approximate cost of repair is $400 or so. I see that the LG OLED 2017 series is 'down' to $1600. My teeth are strong, I just bit the bullet. :)

White_Noise, MikeJedi and scobb like this.
  25. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

We’ve had a curved screen OLED LG for awhile and love it - I usually am off to the left in the viewing area and don’t even notice the curve. Color is superb, a good HD source is fun to watch. My son’s been watching Mad Men on Netflix and it really pops. No soundbar - I use my stereo for more serious viewing sessions.

Oatsdad and stereoptic like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.