Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Rediscovering a fine pianist on my old library tapes: Monique Haas (French, 1909-87). The recordings are solo Ravel piano pieces, plus the piano four-hands version of Ma mère L'Oye with Ina Marika. These are from a 1980s Erato CD reissue of 1960s recordings.

bluemooze and Bubbamike like this.
  2. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I thought some Monique Haas recordings were mentioned not long ago on this thread ...

The following box is available for under $20 on Amazon

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

@Scopitone, Have to post this, here is the other HH in a recording with his wife the harpist, Ursula Holliger ...

[​IMG]

julesd68 and bluemooze like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

6. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Yes, I believe she has been mentioned & quite favorably. I haven't listened to these tapes in probably 15 years & there are plenty of recordings & even artists I had forgotten hearing.

7. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

On the TT....only one singer on this LP I have to skip. No need for nightmares tonight - or any other night! :yikes:

[​IMG]

ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  8. coopmv

And I know exactly which singer you wanted to skip and she is my fave ... :hide:

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 3 from "The Choir Of St. John's College Cambridge - The Complete Argo Recordings" directed by George Guest on Decca.

"John Stainer - The Crucifixion"

[​IMG]

SteelyTom likes this.
  10. bluemooze

:agree:

11. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

ShallowMemory likes this.
  12. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

Just love that original 1954 lp jackets drawings.

Bubbamike and bluemooze like this.
  13. ShallowMemory

My dear fellow, you tempt me that much with those recordings that I end up spending coin of the realm on them! :D

14. ShallowMemory

You know, I recall seeing the advertisements for that as the Folio Society at the time advertised in what today we'd call 'lifestyle' magazines and supplements in a very literature savvy environment with termly lists of novels to go read and school theatre trips we attended.

Wes H likes this.
  15. bluemooze

Now listening to CD 3 from the "English Music" box set on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

"Purcell - Dido And Aeneas" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood.

Featuring:
    John Mark Ainsley
    Catherine Bott
    Emma Kirkby
    Julianne Baird
    David Thomas

[​IMG]

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

crispi likes this.
  17. bluemooze

First listen to CDs 15 & 16 from "Ferenc Fricsay - Complete Recordings On DG Vol.2 - Operas, Choral Works."

Mozart - Die Entfuhrung aus dem Serail performed by the RIAS-Kammerchor and the RIAS-Symphonie-Orchester Berlin

Walter Franck, Rita Streich (soprano), Martin Vantin (tenor), Maria Stader (soprano), Ernst Haefliger (tenor) & Josef Greindl (bass)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  18. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

NP the Francaix concerto from this SACD from MDG.

[​IMG]

ShallowMemory and bluemooze like this.
  19. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

As I'm typing Storm Georgina is producing some very unpleasant weather today!

Just a word of warning for anyone tempted to buy a 180g release of the Curzon / Szell Brahms no 1 SXL 6023 that has been discussed.

I bought a 'basic' 180g release that is utterly dreadful - I could only stand about 30 seconds of it before taking it off the deck.
    It sounds like it was ripped off a low quality mp3, it's that bad. Unsurprisingly there are no details on it about the mastering. Avoid like the plague.

There are however two fully analogue options where you know exactly what you are getting.
    Speakers Corner do one pressed at Pallas Germany. Then there is a 2 disc limited edition 45rpm version, mastered by Bernie Grunman and pressed at RTI.
    I would love to purchase the latter but as you can imagine it isn't cheap!

ShallowMemory, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I am a man of my word!

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

np:
    [​IMG]

disc 12 Contemporary Classical

bluemooze likes this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Thank you for that background info! I'd never heard of the Folio Society before, but the packaging of these records struck me as something quite different when I spotted it some years ago in a "bargain bin." Excellent recording and copious liner notes.

23. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

ARS Produktion ARS 38 753 - Zala - piano music

Spectacularly good. A brilliant performance. The recording is remarkable. It sounds just like a real Steinway concert grand in your living room, not just some piano sat on a stage way in front of you. Yes, all speakers are used to good effect - not just a bit of concert hall ambience/ambiance (how is it spelled?). The end result is stunning.

The Brahms tracks are growing on me. It was the Chopin tracks that attracted me to it in the first place, and by heck they sound good.

The last track, composed by Albena Petrovic-Vratchanska, didn't exactly impress me when I listened to the sample on jpc. But it turns out to be incredibly good when it comes belting out of the loudspeakers - a real tour de force.

I bought it directly from ARS Produktion website. It took just a couple of days to reach me from Germany.

[​IMG]

24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Indeed! And Mozart sounds just right this morning. While coffee is brewing, I'm playing his Symphonies 35 and 36, with Otto Klemperer conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra.
    Angel LP, 1962.

[​IMG]

25. ShallowMemory

Do someone say Mozart? Hmm The second Mackerras Scottish Chamber Orchestra Linn sacd symphony set has been bought.