Zappa: Uncle Meat CD 'Penalty' Tracks

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Siegmund, Jan 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Oh, I scored a mint copy of the Bizarre vinyl before Meat Light appeared. It kicked the Ryko cd straight into the cojones and then some!

2. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

I wondered that myself. Possibly because it's been stripped of its imposed digital gloss (i.e. 'lightened')?

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Don't mind the sound of the Ryko at all, likely as I first heard and fell in love with that version

kendo and DrBeatle like this.
  4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Don't mean to be pushy, but with all the great bonus material (besides the vinyl mix) Meat Light might be worth the step, honestly! But hey... Whatever floats the boat...

5. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

That's none of my business.

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I bought it immediately upon release. I enjoy the different sound and much of the bonus material though it has a lot of redundancy with the two sequencings of the album.

7. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I love Zappa but I don't have this CD.
    OOT but it reminds me of XTC's first album on CD : The sequence is the A side of the album, 7 bonus tracks, and then the B side of the album. :confused::confused::confused:
    It was the only version available for years!

DrBeatle likes this.
  8. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic Thread Starter

Yep: perverse and annoying.

Unlike some, I don't object to 'bonus' tracks, as long as they are tagged at the end of the original album, so the listener can switch off, if he/she chooses, after the 'main programme'.

First world problems and all that, but having to insert a CD then skip the first couple of tracks is an avoidable irritation.

Of course, it could be argued that this just represents 'sharp practice' on the part of the Zappa estate, so that the peeved will shell out for Meat Light, in addition.

DrBeatle and Dodoz like this.
  9. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I have the same opinion :I still listen to CDs all the time. Bonus tracks are a fantastic feature of the format...That, and comprehensive box sets like Nuggets 2, getting a double LP on one disc etc. Many features that I still enjoy. But some coherence is welcomed...
    Zappa wasn't always coherent with his back catalogue : how about the "Only in It for the Money" (with re-recorded parts and remixed) twofer with "Lumpy Gravy" (original)? That was a bit odd, even if both albums have common roots and musical themes they share. That said, it was my introduction to both albums, I knew something was off and different with the 1984 version of "...Money" but boy, did I love it anyway! I didn't have the reference of the original album (and I saw the light when I eventually heard it :D. The newer version was still interesting for the uncensored lyrics...it was strange for me to go backwards).

10. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Meat Light is a great release & I love it to bits, but why spread "Original Sequence" over two discs, another odd "Uncle Meat" decision

yesstiles, DrBeatle and Scope J like this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I really like the 40 minute sound track. I removed it for normal listening (via CDR) and have it on my ipod. But I left the Tengo song in which sounds weird in there but fits the montage idea behind the whole album pretty well .

I also bought Meat Light. Now this is where people's idea about Zappa needing to remain true to 'correct' track order goes out of the window. Even Zappa didn't knwo what the track order should be, as this has the supposed original track order. I still prefer the modified track order (as actually used on the orig LP) a lot more. At least for now.

I don't really mind the Ryko disk, I'm too busy listening to the music to worry about digital reverb. But I do have the 2xLP orig and the UMe 2LP, so I can appreciate the better sound on the latter vinyl and on Meat Light.

Really, Meat is one of his two masterworks, so how anyone not have two different copies and enjoy them both?

Do you mean the breaks are audible between tracks? I have two solutions. One is to use m4a codec when you compress, which allows the iPOD to compensate for the breaks be rejoinng them on playback. (btw, gaps are a product of the mp3 file format). Secondly, and maybe better, is to join the four tracks into one before you rip it through iTunes. (Use the options/join tracks menu option. select tracks first). I do that for all proper joined-up music where tracks have been introduce, like the first Henry Cow album, Faust or Egg, for instance.

DrBeatle and Scope J like this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Being unfamiliar with most of XTC's vinyl I must say that I like having those b-sides there on their cd's. It kinda seems to work as cool intermissions and it gives the sides 2 more prominence, especially how Towers Of London kicks in after The Somnambulist on Black Sea.

DrBeatle and Dodoz like this.
  13. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Hence why much of the early catalogue remained untouched when the 2012 remasters appeared. They had to sell those Project/Objects (Apostrophe wasn't 'done' at that point) and UM was in the pipeline.

14. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

That said, it was corrected on the remastered reissues. The bonus tracks are tacked at the end.

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

What's left to get the Project/Object treatment?

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"The rest of the lesson, I'm sorry, but you cannon learn, 'cox muter nature didn't MADE you Italian!"
    Apparently, the guy also appears on that "Zappa Goes To Italy" doc that came out last year.

17. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...Hot Rats!!!!!!! :cool::thumbsup:

anth67, mmars982, aoxomoxoa and 3 others like this.
  18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Indeed...maybe with added live stuff?

70w

Rfreeman and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  19. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't have an issue with record companies reissuing albums that have significant improvements and or added material. Thankfully there have been comparisons made so that you don't buy anything you don't have to...

2012: What We Knew and When We Knew It

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and kendo like this.
  21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Not in vault. :(

22. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...hmmm, I’ve never felt forced to buy anything (well, maybe when my cel phone starts acting funny after the latest model comes out. What a scam! :realmad: Anyways...) but music?? Never. And the only albums I ever re-buy are my favorites, so it’s never a bad feeling. 100% musical enjoyment.

vince likes this.
  23. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

off course they are. they have digital reverb added that wasn't on the original lp, besides the remixed track.

24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I'm STILL on the fence on getting a new "Thing-Fish"!.... maybe, one day.....

Sadly, I was expecting more 'vintage-promotional-devises' on the "Meat Light" set....
    I know, somewhere deep in the heart of the internet, someone put out 'radio-ads' for the album, featuring Dynamite Dick!
    Perhaps, ZFT doesn't want ANY mention of those evil Warner Brothers!

25. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I have Uncle Meat on original vinyl...found it about 7 years ago at GW but this thread makes me want to get Meat Light.

I do enjoy hearing Jimmy Carl Black complain to Frank about the money situation.

Ignatius likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.