Suggestions on RCA interconnect for turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by grandegi, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac Thread Starter

Hello folks,
    I'd like to upgrade the signal cable between my Pro-Ject 1-Xpression III turntable and the phono input of my Marantz PM6006 amplifier. I'm currently using "cheap" FosPower and Primewire cables, but I'm not satisfied with shielding and frequency response (the high frequencies sound rolled-off, or at least it's my impression).

My budget is €25, I live in Europe and I need a 2-foot cable.

I'd love to get a Blue Jeans LC-1 cable, but shipping cost from US is too high (not to mention customs duties).

I found two cables that seem to fit my necessity in terms of value for money:
    I'm far from being an expert and, reading some reviews on whathifi.com website, my preference leans toward QED as a brand. But I thought I'd ask the forum for advice: which would you pick between the two or would you have some other suggestions given my budget and gear?

Thank you
    G.

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

If You are using a MM or MI cartridge the capacitance in the cable can have an affect on treble; usually not so much but it´s there. So this this is one thing to look at, not cable price.

punkmusick, grandegi and Bob_in_OKC like this.
  3. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

Depending on the cartridge involved, the RCA cables made for video or SPDIF work well for turntables, even at the low end of pricing. They have shielding and low capacitance.

grandegi likes this.
  4. grandegi

I use an MM cartridge (AT440MLa). I don't look at cable price as a choice criterion, but I'm not willing to spend more than €25-30 (my system is not high end).
    Shielding is important to me, as I found a source of RFI that affects my gear (probably there's a grounding issue, but that's another story).
    Regarding capacitance, QED's capacitance is 115 pF/m as far as I understand, didn't manage to find the Audioquest's capacitance value anywhere.
    Blue Jeans LC-1's capacitance is about 39 pF/m and it would be more than fine, but it's hard for me to get my hands on a BJ cable, as explained above.
    FosPower and Primewire cables use a braided copper shield and a foil shield. I read somewhere on this forum that a double copper shield is more effective in blocking electromagnetic interferences, that's why I thought of upgrading.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

QED normally makes nice constructed cables at its price range, and I'd say if you moved up to the Reference Audio 40, you'd have a cable that betters the BJC LC1 because of a better sonic difference. It will give you a better and cleaner high frequency response that may be needed with the warmer Marantz and still giving you a great overall full bodied sound because of the copper.

grandegi likes this.
  6. grandegi

Good advice, but it would cost me €97 that's out of my budget... https://www.amazon.it/QED-Reference-Audio-Interconnect-metres/dp/B00HD0O8IU
    By the way, is an interconnect like LC-1 intended to be used from the turntable to the phono stage of an integrated amplifier?
    I read here that a different cable would be needed, if I understand correctly: The Advantage Of Double Shielded RCA Phono Cables To Reduce Hum

7. Bob_in_OKC

I don’t know what the intent of the LC-1’s design is, but shielding and low capacitance are the desired characteristics of this application. The cables linked in the OP mention the word phono, which is common for stereo interconnect cables. That doesn’t mean they have the right capacitance for the cartridge to phono stage connection.

grandegi likes this.
  8. Slippers-on

It depends on the design of the cable. Like Bob_in _OKC said, the shielding and low capacitance is desired. But in the case of the QED cables, they clearly tell you their cables are designed for TT's as well as CDP, and such.

But Personally, I've not had good results with BJC's. In cable shoot-outs I've experienced with BJC with other cables in that price range, BJC's always came out last. I just don't have much faith in that product.

From the QED website:

WHAT THIS CABLE IS USED FOR
    CONNECT YOUR:
    CD player
    DAC
    Turntable
    DVD player
    Tuner
    Audio components
    TO YOUR:
    AV Amplifier

Receiver

I think you will do fine with the QED cable.....but I would be concerned about an all copper cable with Marantz which is warmish in nature and can be a little less dynamic without a little silver overlay on the copper. Unless of course you like a less dynamic and a warmer presentation, then go for it.:)

Bob_in_OKC and grandegi like this.
  9. Bob_in_OKC

Could you post a link? I’m not finding turntable on the list here, and the capacitance listed isn’t very low.

QED Performance Audio Graphite

Slippers-on likes this.
  10. Slippers-on

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  11. Bob_in_OKC

Slippers-on likes this.
  12. Slippers-on

Yeah..he referenced the Graphite....I referenced the signature then the Performance.

13. grandegi

Thank you for your replies.
    I'm aware the Signature is much better than the Performance Graphite, I referenced the latter because of my budget constraint (the Signature would cost me €97).
    Here's a summary of capacitance values:
    • QED Performance Graphite: 115 pF/m
    • QED Signature Audio 40: 63 pF/m
    • Blue Jeans LC-1: 40 pF/m
    As shielding and low capacitance are the desired characteristics of an interconnect, given that I could not find values for Audioquest Tower (the lack of transparency smells bad to me) and that the Performance cable has a high capacitance (even Monoprice cables have a lower capacitance as far as I know), I should probably go for the LC-1 but it's out of my budget... so I'm still on the fence...

14. Bob_in_OKC

A cable with shielding and the capacitance similar to the QED Audio 40 is not hard to find. I use these Mogami cables between my step-up transformer and phono preamp -

MOGAMI® - Pure Patch RR (1, 3, 6, 10, 15 or 20 ft)

I have a pair of Blue Jeans LC-1 but I prefer the Mogami in my system.

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

If You any free-bees You could measure those.

16. shadowlord

shadowlord Forum Resident

grandegi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.