Mose Allison, RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Nov 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Major influence on modern rock and roll not least of course The Who. Always loved Allison's story: some time later in 1970 a cheque arrived in the mail, $7000. That was a lot of money then, especially for a singer-songwriter of unique talent but far from nationally known. He thought, this must be a mistake, someone added a few zeros by accident and I can't take advantage. He called the publisher and was informed his song Blues was covered by The Who, a major English band which had great success with it on Live At Leeds.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  2. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Well put. I still think Leeds is the best version. It's a very tight performance and Pete plays unusually well on the single notes. It's one of the greatest live performances ever recorded for rock and roll. Allison must have been immensely proud. It was also a creative and unusual cover, nothing anyone could have predicted.

townsend likes this.
  3. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Sad. What a year 2016 has become...

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

:(

RIP

:(

5. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Surely you mean "Young Man's Blues".

6. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Sad news. Such a great talent. RIP.

8. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

He certainly lived a good life. But it's still sad when we lose someone... especially within about five days of two other legends.

MikaelaArsenault and JuanTCB like this.
  9. JBOO

JBOO Forum Resident

RIP Mose, This year just gets worse and worse...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Wow, sad. Only saw him once, opening for Van Morrison at the Fox Warfield in San Francisco mid 80's. I went there to see Mose as much as to see Van, and both were terrific. RIP.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  11. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

"You call it jogging, I call it running around."

ruben lopez likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yet another.
    We are really at the stage where the years ahead are going to be very sad to see all the 50s to 70s artists pass away.
    RIP

13. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

I've heard both versions of "Young Man's Blues" and it's amazing what Pete did with the song.

14. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Well, you DID mean Young Man's Blues, you were just using its less well known original title. Which honestly looked like you had dropped two words.

15. Hank

Hank Senior Member

Love Mose Allison. Saw him a bunch in little clubs back in the 70s & 80s. Weirdly, the new Ace comp just arrived in my mail yesterday.

Cheers, Mose

16. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I DIDN'T mean Young Man Blues. I was referring to the proper name of Mose Allison's original composition, Blues. "His song Blues was covered, etc." The Who called it Young Man Blues (which anyone who knows Live At Leeds understands). Okay?

P.S. Pete Townshend knew the original name very well:

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  17. Philip Davis

Philip Davis Forum Resident

Mose Allison - good lord...

RIP

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

19. therockman

Has Mosaic ever done a Mose Allison box set?

20. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

God I love Mose Allison. Just picked up "Ever Since the World Ended" CD at a pawn shop for a buck. The end song is a version of "Tumblin' Tumbleweeds" with Kenny Burrell on guitar. Heaven.

Hank likes this.
  21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Sad indeed.

All these years of hearing his tunes...especially The Who's version of Young Man Blues...I never realized

till

a few years ago....Mose's original. I finally got an early cd of his with that, and other tunes I didn't realize were his....and now for him to pass on. He lived a good long life though...so that's comforting.

22. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

23. therockman

I am very picky about sound quality, even the slightest bit of brickwalling and/or wonky eq makes me not enjoy something. That said, this set is well done for a bargain set. I can sit and listen for hours without fatigue.

24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have a very pleasant memory of Mose from about 20 years ago or so. I’d been on the road all day and on my way back into Phoenix I decided to stop at a small club called Timothy’s for a drink and something to eat. I think it was a Wednesday night. The parking lot seemed unusually filled for the weekday night. I generally like to sit at the bar when by myself but that wasn’t available and I was told there was only one small table available but it was next to the piano and music would start playing in about 5 minutes. I accepted the table. I had never seen anyone in this little jazz club but local artists. I was really surprised when out walked Mose Allison. My long day turned into a long night as I was not moving from my “front row” seat until Mose finished playing.

25. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

That’s great news. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.