The “Yeah’s” At The End Of ‘While My Guitar Gently Weeps’

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by schnitzerphilip, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Never thought it was anyone but George.

vmajewsk, ash1 and RockRoom like this.
  2. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

George

stevenson66g likes this.
  3. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award Thread Starter

Any chance you can post up that isolated Rock Band track? I don't have access to it.

4. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I've always heard Paul

schnitzerphilip likes this.
  5. schnitzerphilip

Whoa, I don't sense that. If anything I sense that everything is John on this forum.

And one cannot deny that Paul was the best musician in the band (number of instruments he was capable of playing competently) and that he put the greatest level of detail into the Beatles tracks, especially from the White Album forward when drugs and other distractions started making the others weary and focus less on the little things. So to hear him do a little wailing at the end of George's pensive song with the "yeah yeah" that he seemed to place as a garnish on many tracks doesn't feel disrespectful to George at all. It feels like Paul was vested in the song and wanted to help make it perfect.

Rickchick, Yorick, 905 and 2 others like this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Isn't it Cranberry Sauce?

Paulwalrus and petem1966 like this.
  7. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

George, clearly. No question.

stevenson66g likes this.
  8. schnitzerphilip

Possibly, but I think there is a question. It has sounded like Paul to my ears for 50 years.

905 and Mr Hankey like this.
  9. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

My favorite Beatle song, that should have gone on for 15+ minutes as far as I'm concerned...

Paulwalrus, jeffsab and JimSpark like this.
  10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

yeah, insults, huh? If we can't be any nicer to our fellow forumites than we are to our least favorite Beatle, what hope is there? :p

lightbulb and Grunge Master like this.
  11. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

Here you go, just the vocal track (it has acoustic guitar on it however)

When the "yeah yeah yeah" bit is sung, the background "wooo-ooo-ooo" still goes on, but @Onder already posted about vocals being double-tracked.
    It does sound to me that "yeah yeah yeah" are also sung with two voices, not one, but I am not really sure if it's George or Paul.

Side question, who did the vocal harmonies? Was it George? I remember reading somewhere that he had to do a Paul "impression" harmonies on his song or two, but I don't have the recording sessions book memorized or at hand to see if that's true.

12. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

After listening to Gila's vocal track...it is George. Indubitably, as they say.
    It is a bit gravelly, but George could do that. Anybody ever listen to the Dark Hoarse album? :D

stevenson66g, Yorick and aphexj like this.
  13. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

No question for a real Beatles fan. But for non Beatle fans, it's George. I do agree with it sounding double tracked. Perhaps ADT ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  14. Bern

Bern JC4Me

I thought I heard John laughing at the end. Not sure if it's John though....:angel:

Bern

15. schnitzerphilip

Thank you for that, what a great listen.

It’s two people singing the “yeah yeah” part and, to my ears, Paul is the dominant voice. Sounds like Paul improvised and started ripping into his first “yeah” and then George or John quickly followed suit for the rest of the duration, sort of like All You Need Is Love.

Either way what a great moment in a great song. Thanks for posting the iso.

Paulwalrus, Red, Rickchick and 6 others like this.
  16. Onder

Onder Senior Member

The vocals are manually double tracked.
    George singing the lead with Paul singing a third harmony vocal above him.

As someone has mentioned it sounds as if John can be heard too, at the very end of the rockband isolation. But if he's there singing, either supporting George's main vocal or Paul's harmony, then he's rather univolved and buried in the background.

Ondra

vinnie likes this.
  17. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Well, it's just the kind of thing Paul would do to George. He ran roughshod over him with respect to lead guitar, and it wouldn't surprise me that he would want to add his "genius" vocal wails on what is one of Georges best songs, if not one of the best Beatle songs. Paul was an a&& to George musically. So was John.

I have always thought it was George singing the part and remain convinced it is. This song is near perfection, no need for McCartney his "perfectness".

18. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Tony Sheridan?

Grunge Master likes this.
  19. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

George did say that Paul’s contribution of the galloping piano in the beginning of the song was fantastic.

Yorick and schnitzerphilip like this.
  20. schnitzerphilip

I always thought George knew his place and knew when to stay out of the way of the genius of Lennon and McCartney, that's George's greatest contribution to the band no different than Ringo. They were complimentary to the writers, they didn't compete with them or try to distract one of their original ideas. That's no knock on George; if Dennis DeYoung were a Beatle I'd say the same thing about him. George was a first rate pop star, but John and Paul were transcendent.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  21. schnitzerphilip

And Paul said that George's guitar line on And I Love Her made the entire song and was Harrison's concept entirely. And Paul's bass line on Something elevates that song to unimaginable heights. I always felt that all the Beatles always put aside their ego's to do what was right to make the best song. They were a band, truly.

So if the music moved him and in that moment Paul improvised some "yeah's" at the end of WMGGW and George liked them they made the final cut on his track, signature moment for George or not.

Paulwalrus, Jayseph and PhilBorder like this.
  22. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

it is George. Paul's voice is the high falsetto Behind George's AH AH AH on the earlier part of the fade out. George is singing the yeah yeah yeah yeah just before the songs ends. There were many differences between the Mono and Stereo versions of the White Album and in particular George's songs. Some that the Beatles may not have intended. The wobble or flange effect on Clapton's guitar was added by George because he wanted it to sound more like the Beatles. It is most prominent on the mono mix. Toned down a bit on the stereo. I prefer the stereo version. There are some strange things going on in the Mono version of Savoy Truffle as well. Near the end George's guitar is mixed to where it is over saturated and disappears intermittently. Seemingly corrected on the Stereo, so again I prefer the stereo. Not surprisingly George was the one Beatle visiting the Capitol studios in Los Angeles only to find that the engineers were compressing the stereo mixes to such a degree that Harrison had them stop and correct the mistake. An inside source stated that the problem was so bad that the White Album might have gone down in the annuals of musical history as a major gaffe.

23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It's George. You can hear the unfaded "cold" end of the song in the Rock Band version.

stevenson66g and helter like this.
  24. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

That cold ending is fake, like in many of Beatles Rock Band tracks.

25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I say it's George with Paul doing the annoying and unnecessary high fake-opera singing above it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.