The Who Fillmore East 1968

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by whodanny, Feb 13, 2018.

1. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Fantastic post and background story of the concerts, I visited that spot of that famous photo when I went to New York for the 2015 Forest Hills show, striking monument and park area.

Politics not allowed on SHF, but was anyone as shocked as I was when I first heard the Fillmore boot and Pete's remarks after A Quick One that a certain person who shot a certain person was forgiven. In today's cell phone video era, a remark like that would have been headlines and scandal from a white rock star about a black leader and icon. It is Pete however, sometimes sufferer of foot in mouth disease.

Jimijam, mw1917, Joti Cover and 6 others like this.
  2. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I always thought that 1968 was the first year they really made the states a priority and for the most part they never looked back. And even though financially it wasn't very lucrative, I think Roger (Daltrey) said it took them 6 weeks of touring here just to make a profit, by the end of the year they did became one of rock's top live attractions.

dee likes this.
  3. dee

dee Senior Member

As mentioned upthread too, they ended the year rather triumphantly too at the r&r circus!

keifspoon likes this.
  4. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I can see why they used that number on TKAA soundtrack, it was the highlight of the show for me, albeit in edited form.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They should have decided to release both concerts. One-CD best of both nights, 2 CD deluxe with both concerts.

izgoblin, smoke, keifspoon and 2 others like this.
  6. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Only after "passing the audition"! ;)

[​IMG]

Mark Wilson, jlf, Svetonio and 7 others like this.
  7. I actually posted about that remark up thread a ways, but the post fell victim to the sweeping 'great purge' that happened earlier (wasn't pleased about that at all). But yeah, forgiveness is great to a point, but some acts are simply unforgivable. That was definitely one of them.

JoshM, mw1917, live evil and 2 others like this.
  8. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Audience member Eric Rosen : The Who were fantastic. I liked it when they busted everything up. Townshend walked to the top of the stage, held his guitar like a lance and ran into his amplifiers. It was unbelievable! He picked up the mike stand and rammed it across the guitar. It was the most incredible thing I had ever seen! Moon picked up his big bass drum and made believe he was going to throw it into the audience. They were wild then.

anth67, Crispy Rob and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Maybe you can wheel me out to the sun porch after I listen to this.

Tommyboy, Jet Age Eric, dee and 3 others like this.
  10. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

If I can find my lumbar support, it's a deal. :righton:

Jet Age Eric and chacha like this.
  11. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

There must be some reason that Bob Pridden only worked on the tapes from the 6th, if in fact that's true. That's all I'm sayin'. :whistle:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

They decided to only release the concert on the 6th, and Pridden got it ready for release. That's why he only worked on those tapes (that we know of).

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Dr Feelgood' Stupidity the album was released in 1976; in my post I said why there's not a great live album from heydays of pub-rock 1973-1975, although pub-rock was primarily a live phenomenon. By the way, in the first half of the Seventies i.e. in the heydays of the genre, the sound of English pub-rock was hard to be captured nicely on vinyl even when the material was recorded in the studio.
    It was recorded perfectly for the movie. Nobody deny that. But it have nothing to do with original 1970 Woodstock 3xLP album which sounds crappy. Including The Who, which sound on that LP can't be even compared with the sound of Live at Leeds which sounds great even today - only due to fortuity.
    Probably you don't know, but "The Two" recorded an entire concert in the same space i.e. in that refectory of the University of Leeds, at the UK leg of their Endless Wire tour, and a live album was announced by the band as "Live at Leeds 2" as well, but it wasn't released because Daltrey & Townshend weren't satisfied at the end with the sound of recorded material; and it's 2006!
    Live at Leeds is the only one The Who's live album that was officially released while The Who were recording & touring with both Moon & Entwistle, just because all other recorded material from the same era sounds more of less poor in comparision with the greatness of Live at Leeds which still to be the best Rock / Hard Rock live album ever released.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  14. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

The CD is less than £7 on Amazon UK, this doesn't seem right to me.

Are we sure this release is legitamite?

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

There's a reason, but where The Who (or rather, the people who handle reissues for them) are concerned, it's never safe to assume it's a good reason.

16. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I’m One!
    (See what I did there?)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    izgoblin and Detroit Music Fan like this.
  17. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Yes, I think that was agreed about 25 pages back.

And, at the risk of repeating myself, when was it ever established that price and sound quality were aligned with each other?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

That's a fair point.

I've pre-ordered it anyway & am hoping that it's official & has better sound quality than the bootlegs. £6.50 isn't exactly much of a gamble.

Surferghost and bobcat like this.
  19. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

For the record (ha!), the album was recorded in Sheffield on 23rd May 1975 and Kursaal on 8th November 1975, thus fitting the original premise of your post. :)

Anyway, this is a diversion - the point being that capturing loud live music on tape was not that difficult to do in the early 70's, which has been answered by several others on this thread.

20. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Kilburn is well recorded and is nice to crank. The performance is a little sloppy but, still good.

21. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I foresee a 1969 Fillmore Super Deluxe in 5-10 years. Lol

22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Whichever show it happened to be [Nashville or Cleveland.........as per the fanzine] it's unclear wether they acquired the tape.
    It just mentions it was being investigated.

dee likes this.
  23. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

24. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

It makes me wonder if the missing 2 songs are a circumstance of vinyl economics?
    Possibly a 4th disc would have been necessary.
    But that doesn't explain why they're not on the CD.
    Maybe they don't want to appear to be money grabbing by offering different track listing across the formats.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  25. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Forgivness is unconditional. Townshend was newly spiritual at that time and seeing that forgiveness is looked at from a big picture viewpoint in spirituality. If someone isn't on that path then an idea like this will sound very foreign or even misguided but it isn't. If people knew all the influences that led to certain acts they might see that they can even relate to someone who does something like this. It's having compassion about not knowing the whole story.

izgoblin, dee, marmalade166 and 2 others like this.