Layla outtakes on Clapton doc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DK Pete, Feb 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident Thread Starter

...for anyone that has seen the "12 Bars" documentary recently (everyone should see it, but that's besides the point here). ...I was very impressed at the remixed sound quality of the few outtakes featured from the Layla sessions..clean, rich, beautiful separation..actually sounding light years better than the actual released album. This leaves me pining for a nicely done remix of the album that would lay, once and for all, all the debates and complaints (including mine) to rest concerning the many, many remastered versions out there of this very worthy album. I was wondering if anyone else who saw this beautifully done documentary felt the same way....

SG47, seacliffe301, Tuck1977 and 4 others like this.
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I didn't see your equipment profile, not sure what speakers you are listening on..... Did I miss something?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Wow. First reply is a threadcrap!

Anyhoo - I saw the documentary and was wondering exactly the same thing as the OP.

Hope there can be a non-equipment-related reply.

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I thought the same thing as you.

5. DK Pete

For what it's worth, my modest setup:

-Amp-NAD C326BEE
    -Speakers-AON 2's
    -Subwoofer-Yamaha YST-SW015
    -EQ-DBX 215S

...however, to be completely honest and being extremely familiar with what is one of my favorite albums of all time (and owning three versions in addition to an original vinyl copy), the remix difference is so apparent it can be discerned simply out of the television speakers. I did, however, watch/listen to the documentary out of my "setup" so it was, indeed, that much more evident.

PDK likes this.
  6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Don't worry too much about it. I don't have equipment listed either. I was being funny, cutting but funny.

DrBeatle likes this.
  7. DK Pete

I thought you were but wasn't sure. ...so did you watch the doc?

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No, on my list to of course.

DK Pete likes this.
  9. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I will have to see this...just to hear what Layla should sound like.

But how can it ever get any better? I mean, so many have tried and failed.

DK Pete likes this.
  10. DK Pete

Unfortunately, there are no complete songs...but there are snatches of Bell Bottom Blues and a bit isolated guitar tracks from the title track as well as one or two other small bits...but definitely enough to make you think, "wow, this album could sound *so* much better". And don't forget, all the attempts-save for the 20th anniversary remix-have been remasters not remixes.

kees1954, hvbias and Chemguy like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yes, point well taken. Why not remix it? It could only help!

rockclassics likes this.
  12. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Well, no. We have a remix, and it is not better. If I remember correctly Tom Down originally mixed it in a couple of days, and the result didn't sound good technically but was very musical. The guys who did the remix didn't seem to have enough musical chops to make valid decisions. The example that comes to mind is an audible slide guitar overdub on the song Layla that should never have been used for anything.

I still have the remixed version, but I haven't listened to it in years.

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Well there you go!

PDK likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

What version of Layla has the remix?

15. kirkhawley@q.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

It was the Layla box set which came out a long time ago. It contained the jams with the Allman Bros. Lots of outtakes.

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Thanks! I have this set which I bought when it first came out. The jams and outtakes are excellent.

vegafleet and DK Pete like this.
  18. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

That’s interesting - I haven’t seen the doc yet (waiting for DVD release) but this seems like a good tease. Hopefully someone at Universal will take notice and issue another remix job on this album in 2020 (for the 50th anniversary).

I had the same experience watching the George Harrison doc few years ago. The remix segments and outtakes sounded great and have had me yearning for remix projects like The White Album, ATMP, etc. Lets hope there is a CD release included when the Clapton doc finally comes to DVD with the remixes & outtakes featured in the film.

supermd, PDK and DK Pete like this.
  19. DK Pete

The remixed version, which I still go to on occasion, sounded great to my ears when it was first released; the overall sound was much cleaner and it had much nicer separation. Listening to it these days, it doesn't blow me away as much. Based on what i heard on the documentary, I think a much better job could be done today. While an improvement to some degree, the 20th anniversary remix also had a thinness for some reason; what i heard on the program was fuller and more rounded.

davenav, kees1954 and CCrider92 like this.
  20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I love when Layla fades down to isolated Duane. I got goosebumps.

ruben lopez, tedg65, hvbias and 3 others like this.
  21. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

No doubt! Startling sounds in the doc.... in 5.1 when I watched it.

Great doc.

22. Layla is simply not a great sounding album.

quicksrt likes this.
  23. DK Pete

After 461 Ocean Blvd, my interest in Clapton began to fade; I viewed him as a god-like musician who wanted to make his mark in "regular songs" be they originals or cover versions. I don't know quite how accurate my assessment was at the time but either way, his music interested me less and less. What I didn't know however, is how unhappy most of the 70's were for him and how much of that unhappiness was rooted in the Patti Boyd situation. We read about these things about celebrities and forget that they're real people with lives that are just as messed up as our next door neighbor's and ourselves. As I said elsewhere, watching this doc made me realize how I had no idea how close he was to complete self-destruction. Just to add, I also think that it's a great supplement to his autobiography from a few years back. Upon reading it at the time, I complained that there was too much "personal" in it and not enough "musical" . But the documentary actually brings to light why Claptons' "personal" story is so important and relevant to his musical desires and ultimate career. It's quite a story and all said and done, it's great to have him "still here" and-hopefully-happy as he seems to finally be.

PDK, davenav and kees1954 like this.
  24. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm not surprised by this news at all. Plenty of films, and docs have presented music that sounds far better than any version released on vinyl, or shiny disc.
    My personal favorite example is when the credits roll at the end of Law Abiding Citizen, and Grand Funk's Sin's A Good Man's Brother begins to play, and sounds so much better than any recording since it's release in 1970.

vegafleet and DK Pete like this.
  25. DK Pete

...so now I have to ask why this is! Another great example is Can't You Hear me Knocking at the beginning of the movie, Blow; it blows (NO pun intended) the Sticky Fingers track to pieces. It's downright engulfing. I'd love to know how this is even done; it's hard for me to believe (although it's surely possible)that the movie people (producers, sound engineers, etc...)all have some magical access to the original multi-track tapes hence being able to make these songs sound that much better in their films. While this is obviously the case with many of the musical documentaries and NOT hard to believe, what's the deal with the "regular" movies??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.