Black Panther (February 16, 2018)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 5th-beatle, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The reviewer today also highlights the female supporting cast.

2. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

The messaging of the film has some echoes of the Martin Luther King vs Malcolm X theology. The problem is that I think many might see the Malcolm X "by any means necessary" approach of the "villain" as being perhaps more convincing/appealing or of our times than the protagonists argument against it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    CrazyCatz likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The comic character BLACK PANTHER was created in July 1966 by Jack Kirby & Stan Lee.

ex_mixer and Olompali like this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I don't see it as a problem. Maybe it is a vocable solution.

Hall Cat likes this.
  5. Dr. Pepper

What's a vocable solution?

6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

wow, I never heard of It!!
    It is likely that the one store I bought cmix when I was young would not carry it, because they knew their customers, let's leave it at that.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Black Panther has 'two Tolkien white guys' :D - The two sole white men in the film Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis who are in BP come from the same Tolkien universe of films.

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I just got back from seeing it and I enjoyed it too. It was kind of slow in the beginning but picked up as it progressed. I also agree that the acting was top-notch all around including the leads and support (protagonists and villains.) The villains were played by Andy Serkis and Michael B. Jordan who were great and have already shown in other roles their fantastic work. Lupita Nyong'o was fantastic in her role too. Martin Freeman (Bilbo Baggins from the Hobbit movies) was one of the the token white guys in the film along with Andy Serkis. Martin Freeman played his part the best he could, considering he did feel tacked on. The visuals, FX and animation were also very good.

For an introductory backstory, the story itself served its purpose. Other super hero introductory backstories have been better, but as a movie taken as a whole (acting, visuals, FX, etc.,) this one is near the top.

As usual, Stan Lee has his token nonsensical cameo. Forest Whitaker and Angela Bassett are the big name stars who have supporting roles.

Also, there are 2 scenes after the movie is over. One is after the initial credits before the long end credits start rolling. Then at the very end of the credits, there is another scene that ties Black Panther to one of the previous Marvel characters.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Juan Matus likes this.
  9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

LOL. I was going to same something similar about token Tolkien guys, but left it as just saying their names and mentioning Freeman was Bilbo.

CrazyCatz and Juan Matus like this.
  10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

A person I saw it with today also said the same thing about it feeling too "Lion King"-like. I really didn't notice since I never saw The Lion King except for bits and pieces over the years while browsing channels.

Ethan B likes this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

It's a fine story if you haven't seen Lion King, but for those who have it can feel a trifle derivative at times.

Robert C likes this.
  12. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident Thread Starter

13. Dr. Pepper

Well that makes sense now. Loved the part of the female General, and did not realize that it was Danai Jekesai Gurira! Danai plays
    Michonne on the Walking Dead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solaris, Mr. E. Tramp and alexpop like this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Uh...viable.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks much better than the natty image.

16. 5th-beatle

Just watched it. Very interesting story, great acting.

dlokazip, Zoot Marimba and Dr. Pepper like this.
  17. 5th-beatle

18. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Knockout production design and costuming. Good cinematography. Charismatic cast. More depth to the characterization than is typical for the genre.

Flat dialogue. Clumsy editing, Uninspired score. Typically incoherent fight choreography.

An enjoyable afternoon at the movies.

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

At least you're honest at your feelings about it..
    others not so much.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Black Panther a myth shattering success, almost $400 million worldwide in its first weekend. Expect Black Panther II - III - IV....

‘Black Panther’ Smashes Box Office Records and Hollywood Myths

The Disney-Marvel movie “Black Panther,” which finds the superheroic T’Challa (Chadwick Boseman) returning to his remote African kingdom to assume the throne, roared into theaters over the weekend as a full-blown cultural event, breaking box office records and shattering a myth about the overseas viability of movies rooted in black culture. Global ticket sales by Monday will total an estimated $387 million, according to comScore.

“Black Panther” instantly became the top-grossing film in history by a black director (Ryan Coogler) and featuring a largely black cast. The previous record-holder was “Straight Outta Compton,” which collected $214 million worldwide in 2015 — over its entire run — after adjusting for inflation.

Disney, which supported “Black Panther” with a lavish nine-month marketing campaign, said on Sunday that ticket sales for the film in North America will total roughly $218 million between Friday and Monday. Theaters scrambled to add show times to accommodate crowds; AMC Southlake 24 in suburban Atlanta squeezed in 84 show times on Friday alone. In many cities, moviegoers arrived in outfits inspired by the film.

Analysts had expected “Black Panther” to arrive to about $165 million in North American ticket sales, which would itself have been an astounding result for a release outside the holiday and summer corridors. The previous domestic record-holder for a February release was “Deadpool,” which collected an adjusted $159 million over Presidents’ Day weekend in 2016.

North American audiences appeared to love “Black Panther” as much as critics, signaling a strong run ahead. The euphorically reviewed film received a rare A-plus grade from ticket buyers in CinemaScore exit polls. Black viewers made up about 37 percent of the domestic turnout, according to PostTrak, fueled by large numbers of church and school groups, not to mention pent-up demand for a superhero film led by black actors.

21. Ethan B

Ethan B Forum Resident

it was ok maybe a 7/10. I don't think I would watch it again.

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Who's been dishonest about their feelings and how were you able to determine that?

Billy Infinity, Grant and Spitfire like this.
  23. Dr. Pepper

My 17 year old son rates the solo Marvel films:

1. Iron Man
    2. Captain America
    3. Ant Man
    4. Black Panther
    5. Dr. Strange
    6. Thor

I would say Panther was tied with Cap, but Iron Man is still on top.

Ethan B likes this.
  24. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Is that the NEW "Thor"... or the first "Thor"?

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Getting some every good reviews

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.