Oppo UDP-205 Announced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ti-triodes, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I thought the PS Audio didn't take HDMI and I get balanced is better for you be interested as always to hear how you go if you try the 205.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

BSC as you can see in my post the PS Audio DirectStream DAC uses a proprietary protocol to deliver data via HDMI in I2S form between the transport and DAC, it does not take data from another player in standard HDMI protocol. So yes there are HDMI inputs but no they would not accept signal from the Oppo.

If I buy the Oppo I'll report back with my experience either in this thread or by PM.

JediJoker and BSC like this.
  3. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

That's how I did the comparison as well. Bill and I were early buyers and we both had roughly the same opinion. The 105D and 205 were very close in sound signature. I gave a very slight edge to the 205, as it sounded a little warmer/smoother in my system. He sent his back and I kept mine and sold my 105D. But not for music. I wanted the 4k/UHD capabilities which more than made up for losing apps, SACD-burning, etc. But if it were just for music, I'd probably have kept the 105D. Just wouldn't have been worth the upgrade cost. Although I was lucky and sold it for almost as much as I paid for the 205 :)

4. Lonson

I want to note that for Redbook and SACD I have been using my PS Audio components, not the CXU. And for most of my DVR and CXU video listening I use the PS Audio components, in part because with my system the extra gain using that output favors my amplifier more than the single-ended from the CXU, and in part because the DSD upsampled sound, even with copyright downsampling on the front end, may sound a bit better from the PS Audio DAC via coaxial input. So if I were to get the Oppo I may use its balanced output for video sourced audio more often, and I would like to use it for music DVD and Blu-ray Audio with hi-res audio.

5. Lonson

I decided to order the Oppo UDP-205. Thanks for the replies.

Bill Mac likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Lon,

Where did you order from? I ordered mine from Crutchfield as they matched Oppo's price of $1299 and have free shipping. They also have a 60 day return policy which gives one plenty of time to demo a component. When I returned the 205 there was no questions asked and a prepaid UPS shipping label was issued in minutes. Highly recommended!

Oppo UDP-205

7. Lonson

I ordered from Music Direct. They have been very very good to me in the past, it's the same price and free shipping and at least 30 days to evaluate.

ti-triodes, FLEMKE and Bill Mac like this.
  8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very cool. We anticipate a comparo with your DirectStream setup

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Definitely looking forward to your thoughts on the 205.

10. Lonson

Honestly, I don't intend to use this for Redbook and SACD, I am convinced that the PS Audio will be a clear winner. I am planning to use this for video purposes and for DVD and Blu-ray audio that aren't easy to navigate or won't play in my DMP--and the latter are when I predict I will use the audio out from the Oppo most often, for movies and TV shows I'll most often route the audio from the Oppo to the DSD via coaxial and to the TV via HDMI. And the extra gain from the balanced outputs when I use those will help as I've moved from a 25 watt per channel amp to a 3 watt per channel amp (and enjoy the sound better) and have a pair of 2.7 watt per channel amps on order--single ended output from the CXU is just loud enough with these amps and could be a bit louder.

When it's broken in I may do a quick comparison but it's not a priority!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  11. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Not sure if the issue is specific to using the 205 with my particular TV set (Bravia x900e), but for listening to music I have to have the TV turned on otherwise the audio periodically drops out. I use the HDMI output just for video and use the multi-channel analog outs for audio. There is a thread elsewhere where another folk mentions having the same issue using the same TV set as mine. Several posts down he lists the reply he got back from Oppo regarding the problem being due to the Oppo waiting for an HDCP reply back from the TV and dropping 2-3 secs of audio when it doesn’t receive one. Hoping they’ll fix it in a firmware upgrade but the workaround of turning the TV on and using the “Pic off” button on the remote gets the job done.

12. Lonson

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, I was bummed when I first got it set up and put on my MoFi copy of Sorcerer as the first listen on the new player. I was going to take it back, but, fortunately, after a few minutes searching the web I came across that thread. I’ve been diggin the player a lot though, like it a lot better than my old Denon that I replaced.

trd likes this.
  14. Lonson

Does the "Pure Audio" mode cure that problem? Seems like it would. . . .Maybe that is the "Pic Off" button.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The “pic off” is on the TV’s remote. I’m pretty sure I tried the pure audio setting on the Oppo and it didn’t help, but I’ll have to try it again to make sure. Sometimes I’ll listen with the TV on since it lists the track names on screen, but I don’t always want to do that so I’ll just switch the picture off. I’m not sure if the same issue occurs when using the balanced analog outs, though, as I don’t have anything with a balanced in.

From what I remember reading in the manual, the Pure Audio mode just sends a pure black signal to the video out.

16. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

OMG! What a pain. I totally get why you have decided to try an OPPO. The insanity here is that the DirectStream DAC would have been oh so perfect if they would have added a real HDMI input. Unfortunately, I see absolutely no evidence from discussion boards that they care. But what do I know. Perhaps some enterprising soul will launch a little box that converts the audio portion of an HDMI signal to IS2. All things considered Bryston seems to be the only way to go for me if I upgrade. The HDMI ports on that sucker accept everything I will ever want to throw at them. I really hope there are more PCM/DSD DACs with HDMI inputs soon.

17. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I fixed this issue quickly with the CXU by inserting a Monoprice HDMI switcher in the path.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Oh, OK then. I have no interest in video.

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Yeah, the thread I linked to above mentioned something like that but since I can turn my TV on and easily switch the picture off with one button press on the remote I figured I’d just go that route instead.

Diskhound likes this.
  20. :laughup:

Yes, exactly! What you have read from tried and tested knowledgeable professional equipment reviewers is absolutely correct. I'd be very sceptical of comments suggesting otherwise. I auditioned both before buying the 205 and you might not be surprised to know why I chose the 205, even when I could get the 105 for half the price. In a good system the differences are blatantly obvious.

21. Lonson

I'm perfectly happy with the PS Audio combo which I bought for Redbook and SACD to be honest. And I2S over HDMI is clearly a superior transfer as the sound is better than coax from the transport. I guess it would be great if it had HDMI but it would need video pass through or some such and PS Audio is adamant that effects sound quality. I don't have an opinion on that. I figure that if it had that feature the price would probably be increased by a margin of about an Oppo UDP-205. . . .

Diskhound likes this.
  22. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I hear you and I agree. Having owned quite a bit of PS Audio gear over the years and having heard the DirectStream combo a number of times, I am more than impressed. I'd love to have this set-up. The challenge for folks like me is that even if I could possibly stretch myself and get the DirectStream DAC at some point ($9,000 list with the bridge in Canada), having to buy the PS Audio Player at another $8,000 list is just a bridge way too far. To be fair, I should have said that I wish there were more cheap players with IS2 DSD/PCM over HDMI. FWIW though there are plenty of inexpensive players that have a pair of HDMI outputs so video pass though wouldn't be an issue.

23. Lonson

Yes, I know how fortunate I was to be able to afford these when I did. And in each case I paid less as I had the PWD Mk II and had it upgraded to the DSD, and I had a PWT and got in on the beta testing pricing of the DMP and traded in the PWT as well. They are great equipment and I expect to sit tight and listen keenly with them for some time!

Diskhound likes this.
  24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

If you would please post links to the reviews of the 205 from the professional equipment reviewers of the 205. I'd be curious to read the articles to see what they have to say and the equipment associated with their reviews. Thanks :)!

JediJoker likes this.
  25. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

So, I think any reasonable person would agree that these differences can be system dependant. That's why, in the main thread comparing the CXU with the 105 I went on (and perhaps on!) about the evolution of my system and my current preference for the CXU. I think the rationale @Lonson gave for trying a 205 is probably very good. It may be about warming-up or cooling down a system.

I guess the issue here is that I have not directly compared the 105 and the 205 in my own system, which has become quite transparent and much less warm over the last couple of years. The truth is that I have only read what others have said and listened to the few friends that have done the upgrade.

Your experience and views are important. All the same, I don't appreciate the tone of you post. I don't think anyone's personal experience is laughable. And FWIW, it was interesting (and somewhat frustrating) that the professional reviews I have found do not have a rigorous comparison between the two machines.

JediJoker and Bill Mac like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.